Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clean slate

Options
  • 27-03-2017 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭

Couldn't resist the dreadful pun in the title, apologies:o

Im trying to clean off the slate paving slabs in the back garden as over the last 12 months they have become covered in dirt and a green algae which looks horrible when sitting out.

I tried using the power washer, very effective but too harsh as it started to lift all the grout out between the slabs.
    Im now using thin bleach diluted with water, a hard yard brush and then the hose.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to do the job as effectively as possible

Thanks

BBDBB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Adjust the power washer head when doing the grout or just don't hold it as close. Simplest advice I can offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Something I've noticed is that the green starts to go once the warm sun gets on it, which means less work if giving slabs etc a clean in the Spring/Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

A generous handful of cheap (Lidl/Aldi) washing powder dissolved in hot water does a good job on them I find. It's also a great job to kill moss on tarmac (just sprinkle it on dry).

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Patio Magic; dilute 4:1 apply with watering can once per season when rain is not in the offing. You don't see results right away but the green starts to disappear after a week or so and stays away until the Winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 KhyrieLiam

Adjust the power washer is just the key there. The pressure will be depends on the how light or tough the job will be, but I think it simply medium duty since you said it will lift the grout out between the slabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

20kg bag of fine salt, not water softener salt. Costs €8 form farm stores. Sprinkle on the ground, kills algae, moss and weeds. Safer to environment and pets than washing powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

I lost a tree to what I am imagining is down to washing power seeping into soil around tree roots....so be careful

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

its ok, the beds are all raised by about 2 feet, theres a couple of weeds in the edging which I hope won't like the bleach

Advertisement