Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute from Galway to Dublin

Options
  • 27-03-2017 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

Im not sure if i have the right forum. Im just wondering does anyone commute from Galway to Dublin on a daily basis and how do they find it?
    Im travelling to Blanchardstown and right now moving is not an option

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I don't do the commute but are you looking at commuting by train? That's an almost 2 and a half hour commute each way. 5 hours a day is 25 hours per week. On top of that is the cost of the commute, almost €200 per week. Would it be worth it? Would you not be as well moving to Dublin, or is that not an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Commuting by train would be the least crazy option as bus or car would drive you nuts, and costs a bundle.
    It takes just over 2 hours on the train itself, then add travel time to and from the train stations from your house and office.

Friends commute by car to Limerick which is only an hour or so and they hate it.

Commuting from galway to Dublin is just ridiculous. If you're concerned about rent or whatever, move to one of the commuter towns on the DART and get a tax saver ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I see OP added Blanchardstown and that moving there isn't an option.

Driving 2 hours from Galway there through heavy traffic would be crazy imo. But if there is no other option...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I stayed in Galway one Sunday and got up at 6 and went to work in Dublin that morning

Was a bit late and I said to myself never again. That commute will get VERY old VERY fast

You'll come in the door and head straight to bed

If you think you can't afford Dublin rents, add bout €1000 to what you're paying now in rent or at least €800 (petrol without tolls and anything else)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Im not sure if i have the right forum. Im just wondering does anyone commute from Galway to Dublin on a daily basis and how do they find it? Im travelling to Blanchardstown and right now moving is not an option

What time do have to be at work? Gobus or Citylink will get you to citycentre no problem and connecting bus to blanchardstown. What time do you finish every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

bobbyss wrote: »
    What time do have to be at work? Gobus or Citylink will get you to citycentre no problem and connecting bus to blanchardstown. What time do you finish every day?

If it's for a normal start time then they'd need to get a very early bus as rush hour traffic in Dublin isn't to be funny enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Long Commute Madness?

bobbyss wrote: »

Do you do the Daily Commute? 9 to 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

You won't do it by car anyway. This is something I do quite often, though I do have to go into the city centre.
    You join the back of the commuter queue at Maynooth on the M4 and it stays like that all the way as far as the lights at Palmerstown. Torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

I tried this and failed miserably. what worked for me in the end was get a bnb close to work for 35 a night from Monday to Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭rabjoshu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Do you do the Daily Commute? 9 to 5

No. But a daily commute will destroy you physically and mentally. If you finish at ...5 (?) then if you were busing it you would need to get into town for your bus etc etc. It would be impossible. I don't know anyone who does that daily. You would need to have won the Lotto to afford a train by the way. Your work will be affected. You will be exhausted.
    But good luck if you try it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

As others have said it will break you mentally in particular the evening as blanch traffic is horrible from early on.

One other thing to factor re the cost is you need to think gross wages. toll costs you €6.70 a day(assuming that you go cross country and avoid the m50), that's about €135 a month / €1,600 a year, however in order to pay this you will need to earn twice that gross (as you lose half on tax), so you will need to earn €3,200 gross annually just to pay the toll. Same applies to fuel, servicing etc so the true cost is very large.

Reason I am saying the above is that you will likely compare Galway and Dublin wages in gross terms.

OP.. Please reconsider. If it were the city, then that would be another thing, but with Blanch adds a lot more travel time on to that. And then you'd be dealing with rush hour traffic.

Realistically to get in by 9, you'd be looking at leaving Galway @ 5am and if you finish at 5:30, you could be getting back into Galway after 10. This is factoring in just how bad rush hour traffic can be sometimes.

That's not a life.

Either figure out how to move to Blanch or move to somewhere in Meath. The 109 Bus Eireann service stops off there, so look at places along this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

Don't do it. Find an alternative. I travel to Dublin 1/2 days a week but get expenses so it's manageable financially. Mentally is a whole other story. It can take up to 3 hours each way due to traffic once you get anywhere near the M50. It is so frustrating sitting in your car crawling along. You could be spending up to 30 hours a week in the car. The costs and maintenance of your car will add up quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

B&B is your best option, both financially and more importantly for your health. If driving, you can leave the M4 at Maynooth and get to Blanch by back roads far quicker if it's backed up, but just that amount of driving at both ends of the day, every day will wear you down very quickly.
    You need to factor in fuel, tolls and hugely increased wear and tear on the car also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Did versions of it for years, expensive, time wasting,physically and mentally exhausting. I was always running on someone else's timetable and lots of the time just running. Even now I hate the gal/dub line.

If I had to do it again, def do the commute on the dart line. The other just not a life.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭galwayhillbilly

Tried replying to this earlier but for some reason my post hasn't appeared I've roughly costed it out as being in the region of 7000 per year in a car including maintenance, which is approximately 14,000 salary before tax.
    In my case I already have a longish commute so mine would be slightly less of an additional cost if I was to go down that route which I am seriously thinking about, due to potential loss of a job. With modern technology and a senior role surely a telecommute one day a week could be achievable, or are Irish employers too mistrusting for even that small concession?
    Given that many people in Dublin are having to commute over an hour without leaving the city, I think it might be worth it in some circumstances, Especially if a job was to be had on the western fringes of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

OP I done it 3 days a week for about two months before christmas

I had a company car and everything was paid for I was on a very very good salary

My Boss called me in and offered me redundancy in January because i'd become a grumpy c*nt and it was affecting my family life at home also

The cost of running a car wasnt even a factor for me and I tore his hand off.

As i was slowly losing my mind and HATED THAT MOTORWAY

Its very easy for me to say that not knowing your circumstances but I think you need to try reconsider

Advertisement