Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did not get good news/complications

Options
  • 27-03-2017 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Need some information as my head is split here. My wife is 34 weeks gone. At her last scan she was told she is carrying too much water. When she went for another scan to verify what could be the cause of it, she was told that it could be down to a stomach obstruction with the baby. We were told they could not fully know until the child is born. If it is an obstruction there will be a pediatrician to take the child straight to surgery.

My question is, has anyone here gone through the same thing? Needless to say we are killed with worry as to the potential out come. Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

What kind of scan was it? An anatomy scan or a quick routine one?
    Can you insist on further scans to assist in a more accurate diagnosis?
    It's incredibly stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

lazygal wrote: »
    What kind of scan was it? An anatomy scan or a quick routine one?
    Can you insist on further scans to assist in a more accurate diagnosis?
    It's incredibly stressful.

Hi It was an anatomy scan that picked it up. Tomorrow we are going for another one to see if any more can be determined. It's just very stressful at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

I know how difficult it is to stay positive but try not to focus on the worst case scenario. Scans are notorious for scaring the hell out of expectant parents. I had excess fluid at 20 weeks and was rescanned at 24, 30, 32 and 34 weeks. It resolved itself by 36 weeks and everything was absolutely fine. On the same pregnancy I was told at 20 weeks that baby most likely had a serious condition (unrelated to the fluid) which would require surgery. A week later at the follow up I was told that everything was fine and they got a false reading because of the way the baby was positioned. My baby was born with zero issues or complications.

I completely understand how scary it is but for your own sanity you need to try to stay positive and try not to focus on the what ifs. In the event that you do get news that there is definitely a concern, don't panic. The fact that you know about it in advance means that your baby would get the best possible treatment at birth.

Good luck!

Advertisement