Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disposal of fired cartridge cases

Options
  • 27-03-2017 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Nowadays most well run shoots require Shooters to pick up all their spent cartridge cases and take them home for disposal . Also many Farmers require shooters to do this also as there have been many instances of animals , mainly Cattle , Sheep and Horses "eating" shell cases and having to have them surgically removed - very expensive. That is also why many shoots and farmers now require fibre wad shotgun cartriges to be used instead of plastic ones which cause the same problems as plastic casings . It is a genuine shame that all that potentially recyclable plastic and brass is going to land fill as they are TWO highly recyclable materials . Perhaps the pressure should be applied to Shotgun Cartridge Manufacturers to provide a recycling facility via gun shops ?

interesting video from UK as to how they are currently recycled - wonder if there is any Irish entity ?

https://youtu.be/i55hsMP-yQw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Cut of the plastic and put it in your recycling bin, it is low density polyethylene so it is acceptable to put that in your recycling. Save up the brass until you have enough to sell to a scrap merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

An awful lot are steel ended though, not brass.. So no point saving that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Deepman wrote: »
    Nowadays most well run shoots require Shooters to pick up all their spent cartridge cases and take them home for disposal . Also many Farmers require shooters to do this also as there have been many instances of animals , mainly Cattle , Sheep and Horses "eating" shell cases and having to have them surgically removed - very expensive. That is also why many shoots and farmers now require fibre wad shotgun cartriges to be used instead of plastic ones which cause the same problems as plastic casings . It is a genuine shame that all that potentially recyclable plastic and brass is going to land fill as they are TWO highly recyclable materials . Perhaps the pressure should be applied to Shotgun Cartridge Manufacturers to provide a recycling facility via gun shops ?

interesting video from UK as to how they are currently recycled - wonder if there is any Irish entity ?

https://youtu.be/i55hsMP-yQw
    Never heard of Cattle sheep or horses eating shell casings or having any operations to have them removed.
    Where did you get these instances from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

To be honest it's a disgusting thing to see shotgun shells thrown in ditches. Please pick up what you can find after you shoot. Yes I have heard of animals eating wads thus the fiber wad introduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Zxthinger wrote: »
    To be honest it's a disgusting thing to see shotgun shells thrown in ditches. Please pick up what you can find after you shoot. Yes I have heard of animals eating wads thus the fiber wad introduction.

Absolutely right . Whatever about livestock eating them, it's littering so why would you leave them in the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Boils my wee wee to see empties fecked in the ditch or just left where they fall, just pure laziness, there's no excuse for it,
    I put mine in the recycling bin, i wasn't aware they weren't recyclable,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Zxthinger wrote: »

The op said shell casings and what about biodegradable plastic wads?
    Before we all go and say that fiber wads are the only way to go, I think all steel loads are plastic wad(open to correction there though)
    Oh and for the record I also think its best to pick up your fired cases if possible.

Advertisement