Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTMB/CCC Qualifying Races for 2018

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

If one was only running 40-50km per week but also doing 4-6hours of biking and 1-2 hours swimming (per week) do you think it possible to do, say a 50 miler? I mean if you didn't care about your time/position and just wanted to finish and so implemented a run/walk strategy on the day.

I've seen a triathlete complete a 50 miler a few years ago and he did very well indeed. If you don't particularly care about finishing times, then yes, it's absolutely possible. Would I recommend it? Not really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

If one was only running 40-50km per week but also doing 4-6hours of biking and 1-2 hours swimming (per week) do you think it possible to do, say a 50 miler? I mean if you didn't care about your time/position and just wanted to finish and so implemented a run/walk strategy on the day.

Possible? Of course it's possible. If you don't implement the walk/run strategy the race distance, especially if very hilly, will implement it for you :)

I didn't do any specific training for my recent 75k Trail run and I suffered a lot. I deserved what I got. No complaints here. But possible doesn't enter into it.

It just depends how much pride you have and quite how slow you're willing to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Cool, thanks guys and sorry Neady for hijacking your thread! I would need to be sensible so and perhaps that Maurice Mullins Ultra would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Cool, thanks guys and sorry Neady for hijacking your thread! I would need to be sensible so and perhaps that Maurice Mullins Ultra would be a good start.

I was going to suggest Run the Line (26km) in November but I've just seen that it's sold out. I might put the Maurice Mullins in the diary for next year, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

If you're in the West any weekend, there's a 40km loop on the Western Way that'd be a good taster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

The Dublin Peaks is at start of October. 30km. It's a great race. Only €7 if you're a member of IMRA.

https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1475

It's not marked but a couple of training runs on course and you'll be fine. Just one tricky section over Glendoo.

Takes in Fairycastle, Tibradden, Glendoo and Kippure. Same route back.

• Advertisement

Has anyone here done the Ultra in Dorset? This one?

Am thinking of heading over for the race on December 2nd and wondering about logistics and where to stay. Flying into Bristol on Friday.

Looks like the Raw Ultra 50 and 100mile in Wicklow are back on December 1st and 2nd this year.

From the Raw Ultra FB page:
    So we are back for 2017.. Whoop Whoop
    Ultra Runners are such happy folk really.
    Registration for Both Races will open on Friday.
    Both Races Will carry UTMB Points the same as Last Year.
    A couple of changes for 2017!!
    All 100 Mile Runners must have a Crew for the Duration of the Event.
    There will be no change to the 50 Mile.
    Two Aid Stations This year. Glendalough and Crone Woods.
    The Raw Ultra Website will also be updated with all the information on Friday.
    Looking forward to seeing you all there again.
    Volunteers are most welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Neady83 wrote: »
    I was going to suggest Run the Line (26km) in November but I've just seen that it's sold out. I might put the Maurice Mullins in the diary for next year, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

If you're in the West any weekend, there's a 40km loop on the Western Way that'd be a good taster.

Hi Neady, what is this loop you mention? I'm Galway based and slowly getting into trail running so the more info I can gather the better! Thanks.

Hi Neady, what is this loop you mention? I'm Galway based and slowly getting into trail running so the more info I can gather the better! Thanks.

Hey DB,

It's a 45km loop with good sections on road (but unfortunately that what you get around Conn unless you want to double back). Park up at Joe Keans pub and catch the Western Way through the Maam Turks and around to Leenane. The map is here (take the road back to Maam).

Alternatively you could park up and do some exploring around Derroura, keep an eye out for MTBs as they have the right of way but there lots of nice forest trail to run on around there and it's not as far outside the city.

Advertisement