Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squatters who 'broke into' pensioner's home ordered to vacate premises by Wednesday

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Absent the intent to commit an offence or in a manner likely to cause fear i dont think that applies. Simply being in a building you dont own is not an offence.

I'd have thought changing the locks and marching into a building you don't own could be reasonably seen as causing fear to it's 80-year-old owner. From the article itself:

"The judge said he had continued to cause worry and distress to Kavanagh who was in his eighties and in ill-health. She said Kavanagh’s belongings in the property had been interfered with."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

jimgoose wrote: »
    I'd have thought changing the locks and marching into a building you don't own could be reasonably seen as causing fear to it's 80-year-old owner. From the article itself:

"The judge said he had continued to cause worry and distress to Kavanagh who was in his eighties and in ill-health. She said Kavanagh’s belongings in the property had been interfered with."

how can you cause fear to somebody who isnt there? Worry and distress are not fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭skankkuvhima

Surely if you are instructed by the lawful owner of a house (that you are not renting or have not been living in) to leave and you refuse you are committing a crime?

how can you cause fear to somebody who isnt there? Worry and distress are not fear.

Not fear for one's immediate physical safety, no, but fear nevertheless.

Surely if you are instructed by the lawful owner of a house (that you are not renting or have not been living in) to leave and you refuse you are committing a crime?

unfortunately not, assuming i am reading the public order act correctly. You have to be doing something likely to cause fear and even then it has to a garda that orders you to leave.

Not fear for one's immediate physical safety, no, but fear nevertheless.

No idea if the fear they refer to refers to fear for personal safety or a general fear. i suspect it is the former.

unfortunately not, assuming i am reading the public order act correctly. You have to be doing something likely to cause fear and even then it has to a garda that orders you to leave.

You might start getting nervous at 1 a.m. when you are heading off to bed and some stranger is sitting in your living room refusing to leave?

You might start getting nervous at 1 a.m. when you are heading off to bed and some stranger is sitting in your living room refusing to leave?

Indeed you would. and that is something that is likely to cause fear. Or cause you to reach for the hurley beside the bed :)

No idea if the fear they refer to refers to fear for personal safety or a general fear. i suspect it is the former.

I would expect the spirit and intent of it refers to fear in a person in the house or on the associated land at the time, yes.

I would expect the spirit and intent of it refers to fear in a person in the house or on the associated land at the time, yes.

you are probably correctly. except in the OP the pensioner wasn't in the house.

• Advertisement

you are probably correctly. except in the OP the pensioner wasn't in the house.

Oh I know that, different sort of fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I wonder is it a coincidence that the homeowner happened to be a pensioner, I'm reasonably sure a few lads posting here would agree with me that if we found someone squatting they would be removed fairly lively out of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I wonder is it a coincidence that the homeowner happened to be a pensioner, I'm reasonably sure a few lads posting here would agree with me that if we found someone squatting they would be removed fairly lively out of the place.

Would actually be hilarious if a bunch of crusties inadvertently occupied a gaff belonging to a criminal.

Make a funny Love /Hate subplot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fear that stuff will go missing, and/or sentimental jewellery getting pawned off.
    Would actually be hilarious if a bunch of crusties inadvertently occupied a gaff belonging to a criminal.
    It wouldn't make the news. It'd just make a hole in the ground.

And if the squatter could prove that you hurt them while ejecting them, you could be facing both criminal and civil charges.... At least, that's my understanding of the law. Which is why you need the Gardai to remove them.

Dunno if I'm right tho.. I have this feeling though that it's something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There are very many elderly folks houses lying vacant due to the Fair
    Deal..

Isn't it disgraceful that all that stock is just lying idle and rotting away.. three in my road already. The children just said they were not letting them out as the tax is too high, the hassle is too much and the income is taken into account for Fair Deal assessment.

Something wrong right there. But I don't know what the solution is to get them occupied.

They will be squatted in eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

And if the squatter could prove that you hurt them while ejecting them, you could be facing both criminal and civil charges.... At least, that's my understanding of the law. Which is why you need the Gardai to remove them.

Dunno if I'm right tho.. I have this feeling though that it's something like that.

What squatter? I've never seen this man before in my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

4rAS5DV
    I have to say the credit union are really on the ball with their ads

Fozzydog3 wrote: »
    4rAS5DV
    I have to say the credit union are really on the ball with their ads

No need to take out the loan when you can stroll into whatever house you like and live in it rent free for 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

That would be bloody ridiculous if it's true that the owner could be sued for money, although it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

Sure free legal aid for him no doubt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Those are pretty much all dictionary definitions of selfish. You wouldn't last long in court if that's the best you can do.

So being "selfish" is a crime now? I missed that being passed into law.

That would be bloody ridiculous if it's true that the owner could be sued for money, although it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

Sure free legal aid for him no doubt.

Isn't it the case that if someone breaks into your home at night, the line is very narrow between defending yourself and doing assault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Isn't it the case that if someone breaks into your home at night, the line is very narrow between defending yourself and doing assault?

Nope. See Defence and the Dwelling Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

It's Wednesday. Have they left yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I suppose a deeper question is, where does property come from? You own land because you inherited/bought it from its previous owner. The previous owner inherited/bought it from someone else. Trace back the ownership and you inevitably come to an act of naked theft by the king.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

goose2005 wrote: »
    I suppose a deeper question is, where does property come from?
    Satan. All land comes from Satan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

the_syco wrote: »
    Satan. All land comes from Satan.

Not Kilbarrack, that's God's creation.

Advertisement