Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gurantee - 3 mths ..what does it cover

• 27-03-2017 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

I bought a second hand bike 2010 at a place near Dublin 16 just over two months ago. I traded in a bike I had bought there 2 years ago. I was given 3 month guarantee. its a Yamaha 2010 35 k mileage approx.
    I have only ridden short journeys locally on the odd good day. Today I did about 150 mile round trip , and I noticed that there was a drop of oil near the front wheel....I had noticed small droplets occasionally nearby the wheel before , but I dismissed it as there was never any low light warning on the oil warning light on the dash. I was afraid that if oil leaked there may be a risk of damage to the engine... I googled a nearby dealer ..and called and the mechanic looked at it. He tells me that the seals /dust seals ..etc... were replaced on the front forks .. (but the forks should have replaced as they were damaged) .... I asked him how he knew that and he showed me oil running down along both forks ....The oil was new and clean ..that's how he came to that view,,,,Im very unhappy facing near a 600 euro bill to have this fixed ...have I any case with the seller ..thks paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

are you sure the forks are bent or could there simply be a speck of dirt in a seal?

you can use a cut up plastic milk carton to clean out a fork seal.

don't know where the 600 euro bill is coming from but there is no need to jump to that straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

This is a very reputable bike and small engine outlet .. Qualified mechanics ....145 per fork leg..35. Fork oil dust seals ..175 labour if required ..Front pads brakes 35 each .....

Thks for reply ..Funny just as I am back home ...I'm thinking ..I bought a helmet there for 250 ..Grand job. I had tried on a few new ones that were on a shelf ...When I got the correct fitting one I brought it over to counter to show the chap... The missus was to pay for it I went out to check the bike when she arrived out after . I put on helmet and off we went ... Should I not have been given one from a box? If someone else had as I was trying on different ones ..and had dropped it unseen on the floor and stuck it back on to shelf ...I could have a dud. Just wasn't thinking ..New to biking ...Should I return it ?

Thks for reply ..Funny just as I am back home ...I'm thinking ..I bought a helmet there for 250 ..Grand job. I had tried on a few new ones that were on a shelf ...When I got the correct fitting one I brought it over to counter to show the chap... The missus was to pay for it I went out to check the bike when she arrived out after . I put on helmet and off we went ... Should I not have been given one from a box? If someone else had as I was trying on different ones ..and had dropped it unseen on the floor and stuck it back on to shelf ...I could have a dud. Just wasn't thinking ..New to biking ...Should I return it ?

You won't be able to return it, sure you wore it out of the place. You walked off with it.

Regarding the forks, if they were structurally damaged you would be talking alot more that 145 quid a leg to replace, bring the bike back to the place you bought it and ask them or else bring it to a reputable shop.

It would help if you gave us the names of the shop you bought the bike from and the shop where it is now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

IMO yes you should have been given a helmet in a sealed box.Noit the one off the shelf.
    This will usually have a helmet bag in it aswell,and possible a pinlock insert,if the helmet visor is pinlock equiped.

• Advertisement

If forks are damaged could it follow that bike was in a crash ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

if a folk seal is leaking it could be dust caught between seal and fork leg or it could be from hitting a pothole hard and blowing the seal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

if a folk seal is leaking it could be dust caught between seal and fork leg or it could be from hitting a pothole hard and blowing the seal

Or wheelies 😜

Advertisement