Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland know anything about Affiliate Marketing?

• 27-03-2017 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

I'm flabbergasted at just how under the radar Affiliate Marketing and online Lead Generation as a means to earning is in this country.

I've been working in the Affiliate Industry now both as an Affiliate Marketer & Media Buyer, to working in the network and advertiser side of the industry. I have Media Buying clients from all over the world, mainly US, UK, Netherlands, Canada, Russia, Ukraine and China.

With the amount of trained media buyers and marketing skills specifically in Dublin, how are there not more people breaking away to run their own business, work from home, and get involved in a really cool sub-sector of the internet marketing industry?

Does anyone here have affiliate experience? Have you heard about it but think its just another "Make Money at Home" Scam? Very interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There's plenty of activity in Ireland. You just don't see a lot of people talking about it on boards.ie

Blacknight wrote: »
    There's plenty of activity in Ireland. You just don't see a lot of people talking about it on boards.ie

Well yes I dont expect details of andvanced traffic techniques, but there really isnt a lot of people actively engaged in the area. There are people like iProspect and Lead Generation companies, but I'm talking more about the people who build themselves up buying traffic, running offers, build a small team of 2/3.

"Lots of activity" - can you estimate a number on it? At conferences, online, Clients, network signups, I've come across a total of 2 other Irish people, out of Thousands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

You just don't know.

About two years ago, I was at the meat counter in my small town local supermarket. I knew the attendent serving me by sight but not by name, but she knew I was involved in tech and websites.

Out of the blue she asked me if I had any suggestions for affiliate plugins for WordPress. That sparked an interesting conversation where I found out that apart from her part-time supermarket job, she had a fairly decent income from affiliate sales. Her niche was expensive products related to a popular TV show, don't want to say more than that. She had a pretty advanced knowledge of affiliate marketing.

You just don't know :)

Trojan wrote: »
    You just don't know.

About two years ago, I was at the meat counter in my small town local supermarket. I knew the attendent serving me by sight but not by name, but she knew I was involved in tech and websites.

Out of the blue she asked me if I had any suggestions for affiliate plugins for WordPress. That sparked an interesting conversation where I found out that apart from her part-time supermarket job, she had a fairly decent income from affiliate sales. Her niche was expensive products related to a popular TV show, don't want to say more than that. She had a pretty advanced knowledge of affiliate marketing.

You just don't know :)

THat's deadly, genuinely, love when I come accross that stuff.

LIke not to sound like an asshole, but she's not really a full time affiliate, and was maybe more related to blogging than your hardcore, full time, traffic spending affiliate. But it's all part of the game.

Most bloggers at this stage have discovered affiliate links, setups to retail etc., but from a leadgen perspective not so much, In my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

I started doing affiliate marketing online back in 1996 marketing FTP software (winzip and some other network products). At the time I think they called it being a Webvar (never actually found out what they meant lol).

Back then I was making approx $1000 a month, paid by cheque. In comparison to today's internet and marketing, it was a hell of a lot easier to make money in affiliate marketing back then. You simply spammed internet forums and chat rooms with bits of content and backlinks anywhere you could get them. I don't do affiliate marketing these days, but have often looked into it with the idea of getting back into it.

I started doing affiliate marketing online back in 1996 marketing FTP software (winzip and some other network products). At the time I think they called it being a Webvar (never actually found out what they meant lol).

Back then I was making approx $1000 a month, paid by cheque. In comparison to today's internet and marketing, it was a hell of a lot easier to make money in affiliate marketing back then. You simply spammed internet forums and chat rooms with bits of content and backlinks anywhere you could get them. I don't do affiliate marketing these days, but have often looked into it with the idea of getting back into it.

Good to hear pal, if you'd like to chat a bit more maybe I can give you a bit of insight into the sector these days, what's working and what isn't, what the top guys are moving towards etc. Glad to chat. PM if you like.

Or here!

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    Good to hear pal, if you'd like to chat a bit more maybe I can give you a bit of insight into the sector these days, what's working and what isn't, what the top guys are moving towards etc. Glad to chat. PM if you like.

Ive got too much going on at the moment to get back into it any time soon. One thing I do know about it, is, it takes time and effort, both of which I am short on lol..

in saying that, I have planned for some time to set up some affiliate websites for deals, coupons etc. I made a start on it a few times, but I just didn't have the time to really get stuck into it and it went on the long finger.

Ive got too much going on at the moment to get back into it any time soon. One thing I do know about it, is, it takes time and effort, both of which I am short on lol..

in saying that, I have planned for some time to set up some affiliate websites for deals, coupons etc. I made a start on it a few times, but I just didn't have the time to really get stuck into it and it went on the long finger.

You're not wrong there. Well if you ever find yourself with the time hit me up for a chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

VERY timely post as I am just getting into affiliate marketing for the first time! I had always thought of it as too saturated and competitive, and aside from randomly signing up for Clickbank one day, never seriously considered it.

Have been reading up about it a lot more lately and have a few things on the go now. Getting some results in terms of ads / landing pages and so on, no revenue yet but obviously early days. Have also set up a Facebook group for like-minded entrepreneurs with experience in funnels, FB ads, conversion optimisation and digital marketing in general, so that's going to help a lot too! Plus it should be fun :)

I reckon a big reason you don't hear much about it from people is partly because it's an area relatively few people understand and are interested in, but also because some people like to stay under the radar with whatever it is that's working for them.

VERY timely post as I am just getting into affiliate marketing for the first time! I had always thought of it as too saturated and competitive, and aside from randomly signing up for Clickbank one day, never seriously considered it.

Have been reading up about it a lot more lately and have a few things on the go now. Getting some results in terms of ads / landing pages and so on, no revenue yet but obviously early days. Have also set up a Facebook group for like-minded entrepreneurs with experience in funnels, FB ads, conversion optimisation and digital marketing in general, so that's going to help a lot too! Plus it should be fun :)

I reckon a big reason you don't hear much about it from people is partly because it's an area relatively few people understand and are interested in, but also because some people like to stay under the radar with whatever it is that's working for them.

Join the groups FB Ad Buyers, Super Got Damn Affiliates, Affiliate Marketing. Lots of good info in there.

Generally people will actually be quite open about what's working for them, they just aint gonna give away the stuff they've learned from spending thousands on traffic and acquiring data, which is understandable. But in terms of verticals and traffic sources people are quite open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i used to do back in the good old days of ringtones and weight loss rebills. from about 2005 to 2011. it was always feast or famine, i knew i wasn't going to do it forever. no moat as buffett would say. i remember getting clicks for half a cent in the early days of FB flyers. like printing money then. FB welcomed affiliates then, now they ban on sight. same as Google Adwords.

what offers do you run OP? what traffic sources? obviously give vague answers, don't out yourself.

i think aff marketing is kinda dead. the forums i used to frequent are dead and people i met at conferences have real jobs now on their linkedin. by far the main money now is selling people courses on how to do affiliate marketing!

Affiliate Marketing certainly aint dead. I know Hundreds personally still in the game, and thousands more by association and knowledge of registrations through networks. Also the thousands of people at Affiliate Summit Vegas in Jan, and I'm going to Aff World Europe in Berlin next month.

FB and Google yes are banning everything in sight, but most good and big affiliates are cloaking and Farming lots of accounts in preparation for Bans in the Black Hat world. There is plenty of activity though in White Hat Aff Marketing now aswell. Everything from PayPer Call, to Leadgen for Legit Businesses, and E-Commerce is a popular one now too.

There is a few Guru BS people out there selling Aff Marketing courses etc. only 1 or 2 are actually legit.

Still Billions being made per year by Affiliates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

I have a friend who does most of his selling on jvzoo. Uses an email list, affilliates, purchase bonuses etc. He makes money at it but from the outside it looks like selling people rubbish and then trying not to give refunds.

I guess no-one forces anyone to make a purchase online but it just seems like ripping people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 manjiana

Hi! I am new to Ireland but have experience in affiliate marketing for about 8 years. Can you suggest me any information about paying taxes as a home working affiliate marketer? How does it happen here?

I moved to Dublin a month ago and thinking on starting a few campaigns but don't actually understand if I should pay any taxes from my earnings.

Thanks in advance.

manjiana wrote: »
    Hi! I am new to Ireland but have experience in affiliate marketing for about 8 years. Can you suggest me any information about paying taxes as a home working affiliate marketer? How does it happen here?

I moved to Dublin a month ago and thinking on starting a few campaigns but don't actually understand if I should pay any taxes from my earnings.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Pal, be glad to help you out with this. PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fio33

Hi, trying to think of some fundraising ideas for our local club and thought a shopping page of affiliate links would be a good start. Can anyone tell me if it is easy to set up and just a matter of contacting large online retail sites, joining their affiliate programs and putting links on our website?

Fio33 wrote: »
    Hi, trying to think of some fundraising ideas for our local club and thought a shopping page of affiliate links would be a good start. Can anyone tell me if it is easy to set up and just a matter of contacting large online retail sites, joining their affiliate programs and putting links on our website?

Give https://www.awin.com/ie (Affiliate Window) a look. They have loads of companies from UK and Ireland with product feeds on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lew1s

I would like to run affiliate network in Ireland. Got some affiliate websites. Just started this year. But if you are looking for best know how register to stm forum 100$ per month.

Can you give me some example of good affiliate websites in Ireland?

I think affiliate is dead in Ireland. What you think?

• Advertisement

I use STM, Its good, but a lot of outdated info on there. My advice would be to look at the likes of affiliate Fix and lap up as much content as you can to decide on a niche to tackle, then using FB and groups like Ive posted above, reach out to people looking for trustworthy experts who have training on those niches.

No I agree, aside from iGaming, the affiliate industry is near on non existent in Ireland. I've spoke to companies looking to hire for Affiliate Sections, and individual affiliates, and everyone says the same. I've been at grossly under-attended affiliate meetups. In these sense that I am speaking about anyway, yes seems to be very little interest or experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Poppledop

I'm flabbergasted at just how under the radar Affiliate Marketing and online Lead Generation as a means to earning is in this country.

Small country. A few the affiliate networks had offices here in Ireland a few years ago but it just did not work out
    I've been working in the Affiliate Industry now both as an Affiliate Marketer & Media Buyer, to working in the network and advertiser side of the industry. I have Media Buying clients from all over the world, mainly US, UK, Netherlands, Canada, Russia, Ukraine and China.

With the amount of trained media buyers and marketing skills specifically in Dublin, how are there not more people breaking away to run their own business, work from home, and get involved in a really cool sub-sector of the internet marketing industry?

Most of them have done the "digital marketing course" so are essentially clueless. I doubt any of them even know what affiliate marketing is.
    Does anyone here have affiliate experience? Have you heard about it but think its just another "Make Money at Home" Scam? Very interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Yes I have affiliate experience. Yes there are scams but it's all part of the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lew1s

I use STM, Its good, but a lot of outdated info on there. My advice would be to look at the likes of affiliate Fix and lap up as much content as you can to decide on a niche to tackle, then using FB and groups like Ive posted above, reach out to people looking for trustworthy experts who have training on those niches.

No I agree, aside from iGaming, the affiliate industry is near on non existent in Ireland. I've spoke to companies looking to hire for Affiliate Sections, and individual affiliates, and everyone says the same. I've been at grossly under-attended affiliate meetups. In these sense that I am speaking about anyway, yes seems to be very little interest or experience.

I run some affiliate sites but its impossible to sell something when here are no any affiliate advertisers in this niche. So thats why I moving to Dropshipping business with paid Facebook traffic.

My girlfriend studying Digital marketing and they teach her ****e. Nothing about proper internet marketing. It's a shame.

lew1s wrote: »
    I run some affiliate sites but its impossible to sell something when here are no any affiliate advertisers in this niche. So thats why I moving to Dropshipping business with paid Facebook traffic.

My girlfriend studying Digital marketing and they teach her ****e. Nothing about proper internet marketing. It's a shame.

Hi Lewis, send me a message about your niches. Is it Irish traffic only? Yes there is nowhere near enough Irish Affiliate Programmes out there. If you have good levels of traffic I would encourage you to reach out and setup your own deals with relevant businesses.

Yes the digital marketing taught in college is absolute nonsense. 5-7 years outdated.

Hi Everyone,

I've received a lot of messages from people wanting to know more about Affiliate Marketing.

People have been asking:
      How do I get into Affiliate Marketing?
      [*]What verticals and markets are hot and working at the moment?
      [*]Where can I find the best online training to get into Affiliate Marketing?
      [*]How do I setup and run my own online e-commerce dropshipping business?

At times getting the drive to really commit down these roads can be tough.

So I'm considering organizing a Meetup somewhere in Dublin in mid/late September where I will go through the above topics and speak to people 1 on 1 about what they want to do and where they can start. This would be Free to attend.

I'm trying to gauge if there's enough interest for this to be worthwhile. If you would be interested in this please PM me, like this post or Both!

I'd be glad to help people get on their way.

Thanks,

Eoin.

Hi Everyone,

I've received a lot of messages from people wanting to know more about Affiliate Marketing.

People have been asking:
        How do I get into Affiliate Marketing?
        [*]What verticals and markets are hot and working at the moment?
        [*]Where can I find the best online training to get into Affiliate Marketing?
        [*]How do I setup and run my own online e-commerce dropshipping business?

At times getting the drive to really commit down these roads can be tough.

So I'm considering organizing a Meetup somewhere in Dublin in mid/late September where I will go through the above topics and speak to people 1 on 1 about what they want to do and where they can start. This would be Free to attend.

I'm trying to gauge if there's enough interest for this to be worthwhile. If you would be interested in this please PM me, like this post or Both!

I'd be glad to help people get on their way.

Thanks,

Eoin.

Have 5 or 6 already messaging me about this, gonna give a little bump to see for more interest. Would be nice to get all details out early next week.

So here's details about the event guys:

October 4th, Will be in a Pub in Dublin City somewhere (TBC) at 7pm til about 9.30 but that's flexible. All details on the eventbrite page below. It's Obviously like I said a Free to attend event.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dublin-affiliate-marketing-meetup-tickets-37868334207

• Registered Users Posts: 3 agame

I'm working on 2 affiliate sites for Irish market at the moment, have some (mostly outdated but real) online marketing experience, plus web and content development but this is my first time at aff marketing from this side. I won't make it to the meet up but if anything comes of it in the way of online groups or whatever I'd appreciate being included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gmuni1

Hi there. Im thinking of doing an online course but im unsure. I guess it all seems a bit too good to be true in how much money you can make. I think I will do the course but I would love to speak to someone that is successful in this area that is not trying to sell me anything. Any taughts?

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

gmuni1 wrote: »
        Hi there. Im thinking of doing an online course but im unsure. I guess it all seems a bit too good to be true in how much money you can make. I think I will do the course but I would love to speak to someone that is successful in this area that is not trying to sell me anything. Any taughts?

Hi there,

If you want to share the course with us we could prob give some feedback on it.

I'm an SEO guy just getting into affiliate marketing. I only really started a few weeks ago and so far I've made around €150 - just from one FB post :) It's really about 3 things imo:

-Building an audience and networking with your contacts
        -Adding value. Value, value, value!
        -Referrals - not just applicable to products but also services

I may make the meet up, sounds good anyway!

Advertisement