Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Ireland to England

• 27-03-2017 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi. I'm thinking of moving to England next year and was wondering how to go about getting the national insurance number? Can I apply for it while I'm here in Ireland or do I have to be in the UK to apply for i? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

You can only apply for it once you’re in the UK.

You can start working without one then just let your employer know the number when you get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 joanna101

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

No bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Just be aware it can take you up to 9 weeks to get your NI, you will need to go for an interview so bring passport and any other documentation that shows that you have residential rights to be there.

As stated above you can work without one but you will be on emergency tax until your NI number comes through, If you don't have a job lined up be aware you won't be eligible for benefits until you get NI number also.

Just be aware it can take you up to 9 weeks to get your NI, you will need to go for an interview so bring passport and any other documentation that shows that you have residential rights to be there.

As stated above you can work without one but you will be on emergency tax until your NI number comes through, If you don't have a job lined up be aware you won't be eligible for benefits until you get NI number also.

Thank you. How do I get the emergency tax? Sorry for the silly question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭cml387

joanna101 wrote: »

It gets you:pac:

You pay a higher rate of tax until your tax affairs are sorted out. You'll get a rebate then. Same as here.

Not a silly question at all, It's the same as Ireland

You will pay a higher rate of tax until you receive your NI number, once you have this you call HMRC (revenue office) and inform them that you are working and give them.your NI.number and they will supply your employer with your tax code. Any tax tax you have overpaid will be reimbursed.

Not a silly question at all, It's the same as Ireland

You will pay a higher rate of tax until you receive your NI number, once you have this you call HMRC (revenue office) and inform them that you are working and give them.your NI.number and they will supply your employer with your tax code. Any tax tax you have overpaid will be reimbursed.

Thank you😀

Thank you😀

You're welcome

Advertisement