Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Siri a failure?

• 27-03-2017 6:41pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Siri is over 5 years old and hasn't progressed much in that time. I have to remind myself to use it. I always thought when Apple added the Irish localisation and a Mac version I'd use it more, but nope, I probably use it less than I did a couple of years ago.

Does anyone use it? Even if Apple substantially improve it in the future, is it too late?

Does anyone have any experience with Siri's AI competitors? How do they compare?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I have never once in my life used Siri and don't have any real intention of starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I use siri as a quick define or spelling checker..

Simply fire it up on the ipad and say DEFINE "and the word"

Its a quick and easy fix, don't like using it for searching though ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I have an android phone, an xbox one and a macbook. All of them have their own voice operated command system, and I've no interest in using any of them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I must say I have Google home and use it constantly.
    Between spotify integration, philips hue lighting and netflix it supports almost everything I want it to. Plus its handy for streaming radio stations and podcasts without the laptop/phone.
    I have had no experience with Alexa but colleagues tell me that its also very very good.
    I think Apple dropped the ball when they didnt have a quick and good answer for the standalone home assistants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Mr.S wrote: »
    As a AI / Assistant, Siri is pretty stupid.

Have you told her that ? maybe she knows how you feel ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I was about ask if it was even worth having Siri enabled when I came across this:

Boy, 4, uses Siri to help save mum's life

It might not be much use for anything else, but ya never know, it might save your life. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 west20s

I was passing Limerick on the way to Galway from Waterford. I asked Siri to look up Camera shops in Limerick. Siri replied:
    '' Whats wrong with the camera you're holding ''

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

west20s wrote: »
    I was passing Limerick on the way to Galway from Waterford. I asked Siri to look up Camera shops in Limerick. Siri replied:
    '' Whats wrong with the camera you're holding ''

I reckon Apple's Siri team is made up mostly of comedy writers who sit around all day coming up with funny responses. The one-liners are the only part of Siri kept up to date.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Don't really use it much, tbh. If I need to set a reminder I often do it manually, partly in case I need to use work lingo/abbreviations. Groaned when I heard it was coming to Mac. Not interested in talking to my computer as a desktop. But yeah, the lack of progress since its inception is pretty poor. I don't own a house and to me home automation/computer integration, etc, is Star Trek in my head.

Computer, estimated time to Donegal at warp 7.

One day, maybe.

Oh and replicators, dammit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

I disabled Siri to prolong the ever decreasing battery power. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I only use it when I'm driving to send texts and make calls.
    I don't have any bluetooth stuff, just the plug in earphone.
    Works fine for that, except sometimes it mistakes my words.
    Sometimes in desperation I put on a British accent!!

Although I do know someone who asks it where places are

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It's pretty rubbish. Google now is way better. I use it many times per day.

Advertisement