Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear ended while driving a rented car

Options
  • 27-03-2017 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

Picked up a car and declined Premium Insurance so €1400 blocked on my Credit Card. 5 Mins later I get rear ended , No visible damage , Other Party admits responsibility and Gardai attended and took details.
    However car hire company take car back to "Fully Examine" and I had to fill out Accident From.
    If they find damage will they take my €1400 or follow the 3rd Party ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd ask them tbh.

If it's minor and they have a pre authorised payment of up to €1400 that's the easiest route for the for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

TimHorton wrote: »
    Picked up a car and declined Premium Insurance so €1400 blocked on my Credit Card. 5 Mins later I get rear ended , No visible damage , Other Party admits responsibility and Gardai attended and took details.
    However car hire company take car back to "Fully Examine" and I had to fill out Accident From.
    If they find damage will they take my €1400 or follow the 3rd Party ?

A family member had this with Hertz. The Hertz agent instructed them as to the info to collect from the other driver, no dispute as to what happened etc. Subsequently they charged their credit card on the basis that they could recover it on their own insurance. It took a lot of pressure to force them to claim from the other driver's insurance but it happened.

Advertisement