Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lehenaghamore Cork - Buying a House

Options
  • 27-03-2017 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

My fiance and I are looking at buying a new house in one of the new developments in Lehenaghmore, Cork.
    Does anyone here live there or know someone who lives there? Reading online there is a lot of discussion about the lack of infrastructure and transport links, including footpaths, apparently if you don't have a car you are in trouble. I currently do not drive, and would be looking to cycle to work - my work is in Mahon, City Gate. According to google maps it is only 30 mins, however my concern is the standard of the roads and ultimately the safety.

If anybody can give any information about the area I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

Would you be cycling along the N40?

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's a verrrrrry busy dual carriageway....not sure I'd fancy it TBH. If nothing else, you'd be very exposed up on the Kinsale Rd flyover - it must be v dangerous in any sort of wind.....

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.8735924,-8.471923,3a,75y,102.61h,80.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjt8u6Zi2wdZOSd7YWQyXDQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

If you went under the flyover, you've got a chaotic signalised r/about.....not great options.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.8738348,-8.4709064,3a,75y,97.26h,72.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svYOlXliQZFX3DLZaAN3-eg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Lehenaghmore itself is a nice area - but yes, infrastructure is limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭askU

There's a bus scheduled into town every 30mins. It's the 203.
    I live there in Lehenaghmore and i think its a nice quiet area.
    Yeah footpaths need to be done out on road. I wear a high visibility vest for safety!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Candlewick

Lehenaghmore is nice but would you expect to be getting a car in the future as it would be very helpful if you lived in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Are bikes allowed on the dual carriageway, I don't think I've ever seen one?
    You'd have to go through Turner's Cross and down Ballintemple or else through Rochestown and across the pedestrian/cycle bridge by Jacob's Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

razorblunt wrote: »
    You'd have to go through Turner's Cross and down Ballintemple or else through Rochestown and across the pedestrian/cycle bridge by Jacob's Island.

they are permitted alright, I've seen a few commuters on road bikes early in the morning with really strong rear lights, death wish if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

they are permitted alright, I've seen a few commuters on road bikes early in the morning with really strong rear lights, death wish if you ask me.

Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

The 219 bus seems to pass not too far from Lehanaghmore and goes directly to Mahon. I don't know how reliable it is. Obviously not very reliable today!

http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1468581032-219.pdf

https://www.mapfab.com/map/Ic0/Route-219-Cork

I would not cycle but if the 219 was a reliable option, it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Is this the fancy name for Togher?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭goochy

they aren't allowed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It is an N road, not M. That being said there might be additional signs that limit access. Never really crossed my mind to take it on a bicycle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Is this the fancy name for Togher?

It's the townland between Ballygarvan and Togher.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

They are, technically it isn't a motorway. That said, you'd still want to be suicidally insane to cycle on it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Traffic, My god traffic!!!

So many new houses there and yet the same country road remains.

Lovely area, but just be wide. The traffic is insane there in the morning and evening. Probably one of the most congested junctions in cork - Over the bridge into Togher

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭walsh08

Hi there.I have lived in Lehenaghmore most of my life.
    A car would be very beneficial going forward if you are planning on commuting to Mahon each day.The 219 runs an infrequent service and takes a very long route.Douglas,Rochestown and Blackrock would be the ideal commuter areas for working in Mahon without a car.

You could potentially cycle,although it would be a bit awkward.I am not sure if you live on the Airport side or the Togher side of Lehenaghmore.I would suggest going over towards the Bull McCabes(either via Forge Hill or coming down from the Airport,whichever suits) and down through Grange and Douglas and on to Mahon via the Well Road.This would be a viable option and could potentially be cycled in 30-40 mins.

Travelling along that dual carriageway would be very hazardous in my opinion.I travel it each day for work and people regularly do speeds of 60-70+ mph on it.

walsh08 wrote: »
    Hi there.I have lived in Lehenaghmore most of my life.
    A car would be very beneficial going forward if you are planning on commuting to Mahon each day.The 219 runs an infrequent service and takes a very long route.Douglas,Rochestown and Blackrock would be the ideal commuter areas for working in Mahon without a car.

You could potentially cycle,although it would be a bit awkward.I am not sure if you live on the Airport side or the Togher side of Lehenaghmore.I would suggest going over towards the Bull McCabes(either via Forge Hill or coming down from the Airport,whichever suits) and down through Grange and Douglas and on to Mahon via the Well Road.This would be a viable option and could potentially be cycled in 30-40 mins.

Travelling along that dual carriageway would be very hazardous in my opinion.I travel it each day for work and people regularly do speeds of 60-70+ mph on it.
    The more I think about it I really think cycling would be very dangerous, regardless of which route you take.

You also have too consider dark and wet evenings and mornings. Even more dangerous on a bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I was going to visit someone in Rochestown once & thought I'd cycle out the link road from town, stupid mistake on my part! Had to go as far as the airport roundabout before I was able to bail out onto Kinsale Road out & rethink my route choice.

Lesson learnt anyway, have never gone near it cycling since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rochey147

Thanks to everyone for their contribution. So cycling is ruled out.
    What about the area as a whole, schools, traffic and amenities? It looks to me that they are just building house after house with a general apathy towards anything else. No footpaths after 10 years of building new homes, a bus service that took almost 10 years of pressure. Am I better off looking at new developments in Carrigaline or Glanmire?

Lehenaghmore is great but ideally, somebody in your house would need a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I wouldn't 100% rule out cycling, particularly in the summer months.

Again, depending on where you're coming from, there's a pathway just alongside the City Bounds Pub that will take you across towards Forge Hill. Fom there head down towards Cork Builders Providers and there's another path that runs along the stream, through a tunnel under the Ring Road and comes out by Harvey Normans. (You can join this path at Greenwood soccer pitch next to the Deanrock as well if that's more convenient to where you're coming from.) Once there you can head towards Turners Cross , Douglas Road and Ballinlough Rd and on to Mahon or head to the Kinsale Rd Roundabout and use the hard shoulder from there to the Douglas Exit and out that way. Getting onto and off the roundabout could be a problem so I'd be going over Mick Barry Road (by the park and ride) and using the lights at the old dump to get across the road.

I've seen people cycle that stretch of road before and it's not too bad as it's the widest part of the Ring Road and the left-most lane is the quietest part. I'd take the first exit into Douglas though - trying to get to the second one and on to the Well Rd could be dodgy !!

The other option from Mick Barry Road is the old laneway that used to run alongside the Ring Road and comes out at the first Douglas exit. I'm not sure if it's still accesssible from the Link Road end though as I haven't been down that way in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

rochey147 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for their contribution. So cycling is ruled out.
    What about the area as a whole, schools, traffic and amenities? It looks to me that they are just building house after house with a general apathy towards anything else. No footpaths after 10 years of building new homes, a bus service that took almost 10 years of pressure. Am I better off looking at new developments in Carrigaline or Glanmire?
    I am trying to figure out your key driver in buying a property ?

If moving to glanmire or carrigaline it sounds like that you would completely rule out cycling. For the sort of price range you are talking about you could get a fixer-uper house in the turners cross / ballypheane area which is easily cyclable and has all major bus routes and amenities.

If you tell us the key factors you are considering when buying a house we could give you a steer. I have only just bought myself recently in Cork and have lived here all my life so i am very familar with prices, locations etc.

I am trying to figure out your key driver in buying a property ?

If moving to glanmire or carrigaline it sounds like that you would completely rule out cycling. For the sort of price range you are talking about you could get a fixer-uper house in the turners cross / ballypheane area which is easily cyclable and has all major bus routes and amenities.

If you tell us the key factors you are considering when buying a house we could give you a steer. I have only just bought myself recently in Cork and have lived here all my life so i am very familar with prices, locations etc.
    Good point but perhaps the OP is looking for a modern home in a 'young' area?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Candlewick wrote: »
    Good point but perhaps the OP is looking for a modern home in a 'young' area?
    Possibly, thats why i asked for more info otherwise i think its difficult enough to help.

I would find that alot of the "older" areas are on the cusp of a regeneration as the elderly populations in these areas mean the houses are coming up for sale more often lately, not a nice though but from my own experience of looking at properties in these areas there was alot of estate sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rochey147

Possibly, thats why i asked for more info otherwise i think its difficult enough to help.

I would find that alot of the "older" areas are on the cusp of a regeneration as the elderly populations in these areas mean the houses are coming up for sale more often lately, not a nice though but from my own experience of looking at properties in these areas there was alot of estate sales.

Yes we are looking for a modern home that is close to the city centre. Lehenaghmore met this criteria. Another perceived advantage of Lehenaghmore was that it would be cycling distance to work, hence no need to buy a second car.
    However cycling looks to be ruled out( thanks for the detailed directions and advise). Therefore Lehenaghmore cannot compete with Glanmire anymore, as both would require a second car.
    So the search moves to Glanmire..... if anyone has any advise on Glanmire we would really appreciate it. For example is there any flooding or something else to look out for.

Thanks for all the help so far☺

I wouldn't know an awful lot about Glanmire other than I think it's quite overpriced nowadays compared to other locations. It became quite a popular place to live and hence the prices started to reflect that.

Would you not consider Blackrock, Ballintemple or Mahon ? Both will eliminate the need for a second car as transport links are decent enough and you're close to all amenities including your workplace. There's one place on Daft.ie in Mahon less than 500 yards from your workplace. You wouldn't even need a second pair of shoes, not to mind a second car :D

There's good value to be had in Mahon as it's perceived as not the greatest place to live but like all areas there's good and bad and at the moment there's two places on daft that are good value and in quieter parts. (I live here BTW) There's plenty more in Blackrock and Ballintemple (or thereabouts) that give you plenty of options as well. Close to work, Mahon Point, town, walkways, busses, Blackrock village etc.
    Depending on your job, whether it's permanent and likely to remain in City Gate I'd be looking at local as a serious option. Straight away Glanmire, along with possibly a higher mortgage, is going to probably cost you €3000 in transport a year - you have to earn close to 6k to pay that alone.

Either way I'd be looking to stay on 'this side' of the river as I think the likes of Glanmire just makes things awkward regarding work or getting around.
    Just my tuppence worth !!

6 bed house in Mahon for less than 300K - quiet spot as well 500 yards or less to Mahon Point http://www.daft.ie/cork/bungalows-for-sale/blackrock/6-cappanoole-estuary-drive-skehard-road-blackrock-cork-1051919/

3 Bed Semi - You could see your workplace from the front window of this place !! €220k, prob go for less. http://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/mahon/6-st-michaels-drive-mahon-cork-1411609/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Either way I'd be looking to stay on 'this side' of the river as I think the likes of Glanmire just makes things awkward regarding work or getting around.
    Just my tuppence worth !!

6 bed house in Mahon for less than 300K - quiet spot as well 500 yards or less to Mahon Point http://www.daft.ie/cork/bungalows-for-sale/blackrock/6-cappanoole-estuary-drive-skehard-road-blackrock-cork-1051919/

3 Bed Semi - You could see your workplace from the front window of this place !! €220k, prob go for less. http://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/mahon/6-st-michaels-drive-mahon-cork-1411609/

Mahon is cheap for a reason... I guess at some stage it will revitalise, but the amount of rubbish on the side of the streets and occasional abandoned shopping trolleys don't bring confidence...

I didn't expect to find one on street view, but here you are...

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.8884961,-8.3940387,3a,75y,336.73h,65.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfWJvfnSrIfUdMY8m-uIGeg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

grogi wrote: »
    Mahon is cheap for a reason... I guess at some stage it will revitalise, but the amount of rubbish on the side of the streets and occasional abandoned shopping trolleys don't bring confidence...

I didn't expect to find one on street view, but here you are...

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.8884961,-8.3940387,3a,75y,336.73h,65.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfWJvfnSrIfUdMY8m-uIGeg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It's well on the way to becoming a settled location.

Abandoned shopping trolleys tend to be left by lazy b***ards from elsewhere who use the area to park rather than park in Mahon Point and then just leave the trolley where their car was. The one you show there is a perfect case in point actually. BTW, my mother lives near Wilton SC and they have the exact same problem around there.

Actually, just looking at the link you posted there's not an awful lot of other rubbish on the side of the streets considering the location.

In my experience it's all about perception. Once upon a time Togher / Ballyphehane / The Lough were the places to avoid on the southside. They gradually matured and Mahon is doing likewise. There's still one or two 'dodgy' spots but you get those within a mile of any house in the city. Same as anywhere else, 90% + of the people are sound and just get on with life.

Advertisement