Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What electronic transfer system do you use?

• 27-03-2017 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭

Wondering what antiquated system you use?

I transferred money via electronic bank transfer, using 365 online, on Saturday morning from my NI account.

Got an email from the recipient in the UK at 6pm today to say the money still isn't in their account.

Not the 1St time either, happens often with me as I make a fee transfers to other UK accounts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

NIMAN wrote: »

I transferred money via electronic bank transfer, using 365 online, on Saturday morning from my NI account.

Got an email from the recipient in the UK at 6pm today to say the money still isn't in their account.

Not the 1St time either, happens often with me as I make a fee transfers to other UK accounts.
    SEPA transfer takes a business day... It got processed today, will reach the recipient tomorrow... 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

grogi wrote: »
    SEPA transfer takes a business day... It got processed today, will reach the recipient tomorrow... 

Not all banks use this though, do they?

I have spoke to co-workers who said they can transfer money that appears in recipients accounts in minutes rather than days.

I have spoke to co-workers who said they can transfer money that appears in recipients accounts in minutes rather than days.

Never happened to me in Ireland - and I was sending from NIB, KBC, BOI and UsterBank... However the payment reaches the recipient immediately if the account is in the same bank; I am not sure if ROI and NI branches would be considered the same bank, rather not...

This is NI to an English bank, so UK to UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭Allinall

If the recipients account is BOI it will be instantaneous , otherwise one business day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Every bank within the EU uses this system, hence the name Single Euro Payments Area. Its been in place for the last few years, plenty of advertising about it at the time of its introduction if I remember correctly. As Grogi says SEPA transfers are generally 1 working day. BoI to BoI is instant, AIB to AIB etc etc. There are further improvements due to the SEPA system which may enable same day or instant EU transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

NIMAN wrote:

Writing in a financial institution I can tell you that generally transactions are done through a nightly batch process.

Because there may be issues to follow up, they don't run then at the weekend.

It's not like sending an email because both internal and external systems have to be kept in sync.

Petty much every bank is like this though there may be an odd exception. They basically have just computerized the methods they traditionally used to do. It would be a huge undertaking to get them all change to something more instant.

Fair enough I suppose, but overall a bit pathetic in this day and age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Wasn't long ago that same transfer would take 3-5 working days. Can't fcuking please some people.

I stand by my statement, in an age when data can be transferred in milliseconds, the fact that it takes 24hrs to move money is pathetic.

They want to take a look at PayPal. See if they could learn a thing or two.

• Advertisement

I stand by my statement, in an age when data can be transferred in milliseconds, the fact that it takes 24hrs to move money is pathetic.

They want to take a look at PayPal. See if they could learn a thing or two.

Is the PayPal balance protected by deposits protection schemes?

Is there some kind of cost associated with receiving PayPal transactions?

How fast can you spent that money? And how sure are you it will stay there?

PayPal is a godsend in Us. But I hate being paid with PayPal in Europe, SEPA is my preferred way...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Darren Hawkins

Most UK banks are members of Faster Payments.

You can check the sort code on the Fatser Payments website.

Using faster payments means payments usually arrive within 2 hours. That's UK to UK and in GBP.

I'm not sure if Bank of Ireland NI are members of Faster Payments. If they are then the Sterling payment to any UK bank also participating in FPS should receive the credit within 2 hours - usually within 15 mins. They also process payments over the weekend so you can sent £50 from one UK account on Sunday and it should arrive in the other UK account within 2 hours.

Bank of Ireland might confirm if their Northern Ireland business is a member of FPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi NIMAN, 

Thanks for contacting us on Boards. 

When you make a transfer on 365 Online on a weekend or Bank holiday it will process the next working day. As you mention this was from your Sterling account in Northern Ireland to another bank, this will take up to three working days. We have information on our cut-off times for online transfers here

Please let us know if we can help with any other query.

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Tow

To answer your question, SEPA transfers will take 10 seconds or less from November this year. But both banks have to have systems capable of supporting 'SEPA Instant Payments'.

I have asked the main bank this question:

AIB: No
    BOI: No reply
    UB: Yes
    KBC: No.

To answer the OP's question,

UK to UK payments (unless you pay more) go though BACS. BACS payments take 3 working days, providing you get the payment in before the cutoff time.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Tow wrote: »

UK to UK payments (unless you pay more) go though BACS. BACS payments take 3 working days, providing you get the payment in before the cutoff time.

I transfer from Danske Newry to Barclays in London and it takes less than 20 mins to appear. I don't pay anything additional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Tow wrote: »

To answer your question, SEPA transfers will take 10 seconds or less from November this year.  But both banks have to have systems capable of supporting 'SEPA Instant Payments'.

I have asked the main bank this question:

AIB: No
    BOI: No reply
    UB: Yes
    KBC: No.

To answer the OP's question,

UK to UK payments (unless you pay more) go though BACS.  BACS payments take 3 working days, providing you get the payment in before the cutoff time.
    Hi Tow, 

Just to update you on this, we've been actively involved at looking at the SEPA Instant Credit transfer scheme. We don't have a confirmed timeline for it's introduction as of yet. Once we have another update we will let you know. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

I transfer from Danske Newry to Barclays in London and it takes less than 20 mins to appear. I don't pay anything additional.

So basically your experience is proving some people wrong on here, is it not?

Transfer between 2 different banks taking 20minutes.

That's the kind of service I'm asking for.

So basically your experience is proving some people wrong on here, is it not?

Transfer between 2 different banks taking 20minutes.

That's the kind of service I'm asking for.

Well I've been able to move money from my account in Danske to Barclays and it arrived within minutes.

I did it between Danske / Northern Bank and Barclays London and it wasn't anymore than a few minutes.

It was all GBP and I didn't even need the IBAN. I just used the NSC and 8 digit account number.

Advertisement