Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock importation from Switzerland

Options
  • 27-03-2017 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm hoping to get some answers and advice here with regards a venture I'm planning on carrying out with a partner at the end of the year, which involves transportation of livestock from Switzerland to Ireland. I've seen the livestock as well as their registration pedigree/breeding papers. I would really like these animals in order to introduce and produce some superior, quality beef to the Irish market. I wouldn't do this so likely and no disrespect to the fabulous meat we as an Irish nation already produce, but I've researched this for the past year now and I firmly believe we can add even more strength to the country's high profile of good beef with these particular line of pedigree.
    My questions are as follows:
    1. As Switzerland is not a member of the EU, but are in the single market, can livestock be purchased and brought into the EU and therefore Ireland as an EU member.
    2. If question 1 is not an issue, is there any additional checks for livestock at border controls above the ordinary regular requirements that vets and customs need to check with necessary paperwork for ports?
    3. Do you know of, or had any experience of a good livestock transport company who have transported from Switzerland to Ireland previously or would be willing to if questions 1 & 2 are still runners.
    4. What kind of cost would I be looking at to transport approx. 6 yearling cattle from Switzerland to Ireland.?

Any support on this would be greatly appreciated.

Feirmeoir beag i gContae Chorcaí.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

That’s a very odd idea. It can be done but it does not look like an economic proposition. Why buy from outside the EU, knowing that paperwork / regulations will be much more onerous? What costings have you done? Six yearlings is not a truckload. Switzerland is not renowned for beef cattle. What breed of cattle are you talking about? How are you going to process and market the end product?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Would you not be better off buying embryos and calving the first lot yourself? Longer way to do it by could cut out some of the messy stuff. P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

3. Do you know of, or had any experience of a good livestock transport company who have transported from Switzerland to Ireland previously or would be willing to if questions 1 & 2 are still runners.
    4. What kind of cost would I be looking at to transport approx. 6 yearling cattle from Switzerland to Ireland.?

Any support on this would be greatly appreciated.

Feirmeoir beag i gContae Chorcaí.

Not sure about question 1 and 2 but I think you should investigate these before choosing how many cattle to buy. If a cattle truck holds 5 you would be likely to pay twice as much to ship 6 which is a lot more per unit. Or if a truck holds 12 it may only cost as much to ship the 12 as it would to ship 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

OP has a more recent thread over in Farming, and as no info has been given here I see no point in continuing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

This is more suited to farming where you have already posted.

Thread Closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement