Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owning an E30 as a first car?

Options
  • 27-03-2017 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

About a year from now I'll be have my license so i'll finally get to buy a car. I've only been looking at e30s as they are by far my favorite car, as much as i'd love to own one I'm not sure that I'll be able to with insurance. E30s will be considered classic cars meaning i'd have to be 25 to own one. I was thinking the car could be insured under my dads name as a second car and I could be down as a named driver but to be honest I havn't a clue when it comes to insurance

Anyway I just wanted to know is there any way of owning one or being able to use it as my daily driver or if anyone has experience with owning an e30 as a young driver
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Older cars are getting alot harder to insure these days, how old are you ?

For example my 2001 Seat Leon 20v T is over 900 quid a year for me and im 33 no points full no claims etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Smithayy

I'm 16 now, Ill be 17 a year from now

Thanks for the advice , I didn't realise that

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd say that plan will be prohibitively expensive insurance wise OP. Best bet is to start with a small engined car.

Yea, I was thinking i'll just go for a golf van and then later on buy the e30 as a project car and do am m60 swap on it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Smithayy wrote:
    Yea, I was thinking i'll just go for a golf van and then later on buy the e30 as a project car and do am m60 swap on it

That could also be a bit tricky. Commercial and a large cc engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As much as youll hate the idea of, get a Corsa or something until you're 20 and have 2yrs NCB to work with.

Advertisement