Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When can I get Fibre

Options
  • 27-03-2017 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there. Fibre has just been made available in my area recently, but every time I ring up I just get told that my number hasn't been enabled yet but will be soon. This is going on a LONG time now. Am I being fobbed off? Can someone actually state clearly if/when fibre will be available for me rather leaving me feeling like I'm constantly being stringed along.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭eir: Leanne

Hi Quazzie,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. I am really sorry to hear this. 

If you could please PM me your account number and full name I can have a look into this for you.

Thanks,
    Leanne. 

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hi Quazzie,

If you could please PM me your account number and full name I can have a look into this for you.

Thanks,
    Leanne.
    Hi Leanne.

My neighbour (less than 100m) is getting fibre broadband installed, and the guy installing it said I should be eligible, but am not getting it because I was currently with Sky. Since then I have returned to EIR (activated 10-08-2017). As per his advice I went onto the webchat facility to ask what i can do to get Fibre installed. They were no help to me, and essentially just reiterated what I already could read from your website, that i am ineligible. Since I am so new I actually have no way of getting my account number. My phone number is ********* and my Eircode is *******.

I was told i could request an engineer to be called out to my house to assess for a connection, as the isntaller who I was talking to, couldn't understand why I wasn't elgible as I am on the same line and within the same distance as my neighbour who is currently being activated.

I suppose the reason i am here is to find out what I can do to make it possible for me to get Fibre. As it stands as a new customer, i would like to get a definitive answer on this before 23rd August as that is the last day of my cooling off period and i will be cancelling my account if fibre is not available.

COPY OF MESSAGE SENT WITH PRIVATE INFORMATION REMOVED

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Quazzie wrote: »
    Hi Quazzie,

Thanks,
    Leanne.
    Since then I have returned to EIR (activated 10-08-2017).
    Prequalification is run monthly so your line wouldnt be eligible according to the site by default for up to 4 weeks.

Leanne can manually request this is done sooner than that.

ED E wrote: »
    Hi Quazzie,

Thanks,
    Leanne.
    Prequalification is run monthly so your line wouldnt be eligible according to the site by default for up to 4 weeks.

Thanks for that information Ed. Hopefully Leanne can return to me today to inform me what I can do to help the process along.

My neighbour (a new build and still waiting on an Eircode) has been told he can''t get one till his Eircode arrives despite him being an Eir customer nearly a year now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

ED E wrote: »
    Hi Quazzie,

Thanks,
    Leanne.

Thanks for that information Ed. Hopefully Leanne can return to me today to inform me what I can do to help the process along.

My neighbour (a new build and still waiting on an Eircode) has been told he can''t get one till his Eircode arrives despite him being an Eir customer nearly a year now.
    Hi there,

Leanne no longer works for the company. If you PM me your account number and full name, I'll check on this for you.

- Adam

• Advertisement

PM Sent

PM Sent
    Thanks,

I'll go through my PM's shortly and I'll be back in touch with an update. 

- Adam

Adam,

My line has been upgraded, right to the house before me, but I was never considered simply because I was a SKY customer until recently. Funnily enough my neighbour isnt considered eligible either because he doesn't have an EIRCODE. That's two bureaucratic reasons why we can't get Fibre to our house. You say I'll have to wait until my line is upgraded, but that is never going to happen unless I push for it, and request it. And this is what i am doing. I've already switched back to EIR from SKY to enable this to happen. 

All I'm looking for now is to find out how I can get included on the current rollout of eFibre that is in my area, and on my line. I have tried talking to numerous people on this and there instant response is to say it's not available to me. That much I can tell myself by checking on Eir.ie. When i input my number on your website it tells me I can get 1000mb broadband because I am within the area and on an appropriate line. When I input my EIRCODE though it tells me I am not eligible, and I know for a fact this is because I was blacklisted as a SKY customer. 

All I'm asking is for someone at EIR  to look at it reasonably and get me off that blacklist, especially since I have moved back to EIR. I just need someone to look beyond the bureaucracy and actually ask the question about why I can't get it rather than just looking at their screen and telling me I can't

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your PM, ****.

I've checked this for you and, unfortunately, we don't currently have a date for when fibre broadband will be available to you. Some homes in your area can receive this service, however, it hasn't reached your house yet.

If you register your details on the below link, you'll be notified as soon as this service is available to you.

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/eoi/

- Adam[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I read through your post in full ****, however, I couldn't give you any further information here I'm afraid.

It is not possible to order fibre broadband until it is available to you. We wouldn't be able to arrange for a technician to go out and lay fibre lines at your premises, you would need to wait until your line has been upgraded in order to avail of this service. Unfortunately, we don't currently have a date for when this will be done. 

Sorry I can't give you better news here.

- Adam[/QUOTE]

Adam,

My line has been upgraded, right to the house before me, but I was never considered simply because I was a SKY customer until recently. Funnily enough my neighbour isnt considered eligible either because he doesn't have an EIRCODE. That's two bureaucratic reasons why we can't get Fibre to our house. You say I'll have to wait until my line is upgraded, but that is never going to happen unless I push for it, and request it. And this is what i am doing. I've already switched back to EIR from SKY to enable this to happen. 

All I'm looking for now is to find out how I can get included on the current rollout of eFibre that is in my area, and on my line. I have tried talking to numerous people on this and there instant response is to say it's not available to me. That much I can tell myself by checking on Eir.ie. When i input my number on your website it tells me I can get 1000mb broadband because I am within the area and on an appropriate line. When I input my EIRCODE though it tells me I am not eligible, and I know for a fact this is because I was blacklisted as a SKY customer. 

All I'm asking is for someone at EIR  to look at it reasonably and get me off that blacklist, especially since I have moved back to EIR. I just need someone to look beyond the bureaucracy and actually ask the question about why I can't get it rather than just looking at their screen and telling me I can't

Thanks for your PM, ****.

I've checked this for you and, unfortunately, we don't currently have a date for when fibre broadband will be available to you. Some homes in your area can receive this service, however, it hasn't reached your house yet.

If you register your details on the below link, you'll be notified as soon as this service is available to you.

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/eoi/

- Adam[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I read through your post in full ****, however, I couldn't give you any further information here I'm afraid.

It is not possible to order fibre broadband until it is available to you. We wouldn't be able to arrange for a technician to go out and lay fibre lines at your premises, you would need to wait until your line has been upgraded in order to avail of this service. Unfortunately, we don't currently have a date for when this will be done. 

Sorry I can't give you better news here.

- Adam[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I can assure you that we do not blacklist customers from getting this service. There would be no way to request to have your line upgraded to fibre before it appears on the roll out plan and you are given a date for when this will be done. 

You would need to register your details on the expression of interest link that I've sent you in order to be notified when this is done.

Apologies again.

- Adam

Can you explain how the roll out plan works, and why it stopped literally meters from my house? I am within the area of the roll out plan, but for some unknown reason I can't get it. My phone number is eligible, but my EIRCODE isn't. Sorry you might not call that blacklisted, but that's the term one of your sales reps used when I asked him why I couldn't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Hi
    i just went on the eir website and my address is showing all ok for Fibre. my question is will the current phone line be used (with a change of socket) or is a new line required. i was on eir chat earlier and i must admit i'm confused
    thanks

Can you explain how the roll out plan works, and why it stopped literally meters from my house? I am within the area of the roll out plan, but for some unknown reason I can't get it. My phone number is eligible, but my EIRCODE isn't. Sorry you might not call that blacklisted, but that's the term one of your sales reps used when I asked him why I couldn't get it.
    Fibre is rolled out on a stage by stage basis and we don't upgrade lines on the request of customers I'm afraid. We wouldn't have any way to get this service for you until your line is upgraded. I do apologise that we can't arrange this for you.

- Adam

Bellview wrote: »
    Hi
    i just went on the eir website and my address is showing all ok for Fibre. my question is will the current phone line be used (with a change of socket) or is a new line required. i was on eir chat earlier and i must admit i'm confused
    thanks
    Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch. If fibre is available to you, the lines wouldn't need to be replaced outside your home as fibre only becomes available to a customer after the lines have already been upgraded so your current phone line should be fine here. 

- Adam

eir: Adam wrote: »
    Fibre is rolled out on a stage by stage basis and we don't upgrade lines on the request of customers I'm afraid. We wouldn't have any way to get this service for you until your line is upgraded. I do apologise that we can't arrange this for you.

- Adam
    And is there a process i can get go through to get my line upgraded?

eir: Adam wrote:
    Thanks for getting in touch. If fibre is available to you, the lines wouldn't need to be replaced outside your home as fibre only becomes available to a customer after the lines have already been upgraded so your current phone line should be fine here.

Thanks. My current contract is with a competitor that has not expired yet so can they access fibre now as I'm being told that they are unable to see fibre available. I have spent a few days checking with eir and the competitor and I feel like I'm going in circles. I'm about to raise issue with comreg

- Adam
    Unfortunately not, this can't be done on the request of a customer.

- Adam

Originally posted by eir: Adam

Thanks. My current contract is with a competitor that has not expired yet so can they access fibre now as I'm being told that they are unable to see fibre available. I have spent a few days checking with eir and the competitor and I feel like I'm going in circles. I'm about to raise issue with comreg
    I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to check what services your current provider can give you. You would need to query this further with them. 

- Adam

- Adam

- Adam
    Not much of a service then to be fair. All you've been able to tell me is what I was able to find out on the website myself.

Pretty much a waste of time so.

- Adam

- Adam
    Not much of a service then to be fair. All you've been able to tell me is what I was able to find out on the website myself.

Pretty much a waste of time so.
    Sorry I couldn't give you more information on this.

- Adam

Originally posted by eir: Adam

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to check what services your current provider can give you. You would need to query this further with them. 

- Adam
    thansk Adam, but currently Eir tell me contact the competitor and the competitor tell me speak with Eir. From a consumer point of view this is frustrating and honestly is a joke. this is why i have asked Comreg can they at least get both companies to bang their heads together.
    Ironically i would look at Eir but after all the comms I have from Eir (being sent in circles) & how vague you reply gives me a gut feeling if i had a problem the customer service would be poor...

• Advertisement

thansk Adam, but currently Eir tell me contact the competitor and the competitor tell me speak with Eir. From a consumer point of view this is frustrating and honestly is a joke. this is why i have asked Comreg can they at least get both companies to bang their heads together.
    Ironically i would look at Eir but after all the comms I have from Eir (being sent in circles) & how vague you reply gives me a gut feeling if i had a problem the customer service would be poor...
    Exactly. EIR are providing broadband in my area, but when I ask can I have it, I am told no. When I ask why I'm told "You can't and we can't tell you why". Then I ask can I talk to someone who can tell me why, I'm told "No - we can give you something but our computer says NO so we can't, and we're not going to bother asking can why the computer says NO"

It's like walking into TESCO, seeing a loaf of bread and not being allowed buy it, but no one knows why.

Advertisement