Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roofer from hell

• 27-03-2017 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

We got a roofer to put to put a roof on our new house back in 2002. About a year went by and our roof was leaking, I went up onto the roof myself to see what the problem was and the ridge tiles were cracked the whole length of the roof and in the attic the felt was torn in several places. I phoned the roofer and he said that he would call round but never did, what we would like to know would we have a strong case against this roofer if we brought him to court. Our dream home has been letting in water this last 15 years.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i cant see how the roofer would be liable for all of the 15 years.
    surely your knollage of the issue would put most of the liability on you.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sunburst wrote: »
    We got a roofer to put to put a roof on our new house back in 2002. About a year went by and our roof was leaking, I went up onto the roof myself to see what the problem was and the ridge tiles were cracked the whole length of the roof and in the attic the felt was torn in several places. I phoned the roofer and he said that he would call round but never did, what we would like to know would we have a strong case against this roofer if we brought him to court. Our dream home has been letting in water this last 15 years.

15 years later... not a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sunburst wrote: »
    Was the roofer liable back in 2002, maybe, but maybe not.
    Could you take him to court now, not a hope.

You've no proof that it didn't just start leaking now. Even if it did start leaking about a year later, roofs sometimes leak. I doubt the ridge tiles were cracked when he installed them. It can't be a bad leak if you've put up with it for 15 years.

Advertisement