Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension cable/lead for car charge

Options
  • 27-03-2017 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need some advice on extending a socket for charging a hybrid car.

I have an outdoor socket that's tapped into an indoor socket in the frontroom.

The charging cable is a bit to short to reach my car so would like to extend a cable from the socket.

I've heard that a standard extension may not safe to use.

I think the charger pull 10amps.

Can anyone recommend a good heavy duty outdoor cable that I can use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There are plenty of extension cables that can do 10A. For that level of current I'd make sure that all of the cable is unwound (off the reel) when using it or it will overheat, the insulation will melt so it will short and probably catch fire at the same time. Check Amazon or any electrical supplier, almost all of the extension reels have a rating for maximum amperage, steer clear of any that don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd measure the length and make one up, use Arctic cable and if there is a join some blue 16 Amp IP67 couplers MK Commando make very good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

CJhaughey wrote:
    I'd measure the length and make one up, use Arctic cable and if there is a join some blue 16 Amp IP67 couplers MK Commando make very good ones.

Agreed

I've seen lads in London with these running out the top window of a house and down a lamppost to charge their cars.!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Cork981

Excuse my electrical ignorance but I have an outdoor socket that's looped from a socket in the frontroom that just powers the tv and STB.

Is it relatively safe to use that set up and the downstairs circuit ring for the 10amp car charger ?

It'll only be plugged in for 2 - 3 hours at a time

Yes it is, your electric kettle draws almost 13A because it's probably rated at 3 kW so 10A to charge your car is well within the capabilities of any mains socket in your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Did you buy the car new? You'd be entitled to a free home charge point. This would be a dedicated 16a unit connected directly to the consumer unit.
    Otherwise you could get one fitted yourself for a few hundred. Far better long term solution.
    Surely having it connected like this is a bit risky. You can't really guarantee what might get plugged into the inside socket and what that would be drawing alongside the car from the same socket essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Cork981

s.welstead wrote: »
    Did you buy the car new? You'd be entitled to a free home charge point. This would be a dedicated 16a unit connected directly to the consumer unit.
    Otherwise you could get one fitted yourself for a few hundred. Far better long term solution.
    Surely having it connected like this is a bit risky. You can't really guarantee what might get plugged into the inside socket and what that would be drawing alongside the car from the same socket essentially.

No I bought a demo model so it's as good as new but didn't get the free wall box unfortunately.

I don't intend to live here long term so a permanent wall box wouldn't be a great investment at the moment.

I'm certain the socket won't have anything besides the tv plugged in.... its hiding behind the tv

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cork981 wrote: »
    I think the charger pull 10amps.

Double check that to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Cork981 wrote: »
    No I bought a demo model so it's as good as new but didn't get the free wall box unfortunately.

I don't intend to live here long term so a permanent wall box wouldn't be a great investment at the moment.

I'm certain the socket won't have anything besides the tv plugged in.... its hiding behind the tv
    I'd chase it up with the dealer. If you are the 1st owner it's pretty likely that you are entitled to a free charge point, including installation. It's part of the SEAI grant of 2.5k towards the car.
    The cp can always be taken with you when moving and installed elsewhere.

s.welstead wrote: »

Only if he's crazy enough to draw 10A through a double-adapter!

overloaded-plug1.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement