Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

unkel wrote: »
    Kids want a Model X. Only a bit over €100k for a ludicrous. Looks like I only have to play half the lottery :p

A bit over 110k, not a big difference I guess for people that can dish out that kind of money, but... still a 10% more expensive (I guess you were looking at price after savings...)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Silly money still...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

slave1 wrote: »
    Silly money still...

There are only 2 other cars that can match the 0-60 performance of the Tesla Model S P100D Ludicrous

And they cost well over 10 times as much...

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Silly money still...

Not at all.

Nobby On Cars reviews the Tesla Model S

• Advertisement

Hey Nobby, no door storage to eliminate rattle

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Wow this thread lost activity! A year with no posts!

I was actually going to post my "what's the difference between all the S versions" question in this thread but couldn't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

Hey Nobby, no door storage to eliminate rattle

It is very annoying to be fair. The lack of inside storage is one of the reasons we discounted the S as a family car. If people don’t want rattles, they can leave the pockets empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I wonder how big an impact this will have on second hand Model S prices. I hope a lot. A second hand one might have just become a reality for me.

Quoting this post for posterity! And to show how much things have changed in a year...

markpb wrote: »
    It is very annoying to be fair. The lack of inside storage is one of the reasons we discounted the S as a family car.

+1

Very annoying. The pre-facelift cars don't even have cupholders in the back! There are of course after market solutions for these things. I just fitted a parcel shelf "butler" a few days ago. I have also ordered a cubby drawer for the shelf under the 17" screen. If you drive like me, then anything in there will go flying into the car every time you accelerate in a "spirited" way :D

People buying the Tesla Model 3 usually have to do up a big shopping list with all the extras / fixes they need to buy by the time they take delivery as some of the things in that car are even more annoying
    Quoting this post for posterity! And to show how much things have changed in a year...

That was the massive price drop of new Model S (and Model X) a bit over a year ago. I came close to buying a second hand Tesla Model S shortly after. The seller had lost a fortune on his car and failed to sell it privately. I could buy it at the trade value, but that was still several thousand over what I felt I should spend on it. Turned out I had to wait another year to get my Model S :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Turned out I had to wait another year to get my Model S :)

By all accounts it was worth the wait & you did very well with your new Model S too ;).
    Well wear :).

Unkel, how bad/limited is the cabin storage in the 2014 S?
    Place to store sunglassses (plural, there's 2 of us in the front)?
    Tissues?
    Loose change?

Is the back as sparse as in Nobbys video above?

Ioniq cabin storage is great! Big bin in the middle. Cup holders, phone charger bin, arm rest bin which holds everything, and door bins.

There's none. Apart from two cup holders in the front arm rest, a cubby under the screen and of course the glove box. Nothing in the back. Not even the cup holders as in Nobby's video.

There's none. Apart from two cup holders in the front arm rest, a cubby under the screen and of course the glove box. Nothing in the back. Not even the cup holders as in Nobby's video.

:eek:

That's... pretty awful. What's along the center console?

Something i've taken for granted all these years. I keep a pretty clean interior, but at the moment i've (in my Ioniq) a shopping bag in the door pocket, coins behind the cupholders, a few pens and a pad in the glovebox, tissues, tablet, sunnies all in the armrest bin.
    Back seat net has a few toys for the little one.

I assume as you alluded to, there's aftermarket accessories to help out with this.

EDIT: Just checked some of the for sales in the UK. I see the big bin in the center console. Tis pretty decent to be fair.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tesla-Model-S-E85-0-0-Oct-2014-EV-FULL-AUTOPILOT-Free-supercharging-for-life/164158518182

EDIT2: Of course there's an alternative. Is this an optional extra or something?
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002277805738 (the drawer in the center unit)

I see the big bin in the center console. Tis pretty decent to be fair.

They call it the "yacht floor" :D

You can get big inserts for that too, with cup holders, wireless phone chargers, etc. Tesla aftermarket parts is a lucrative business.

They call it the "yacht floor" :D

You can get big inserts for that too, with cup holders, wireless phone chargers, etc. Tesla aftermarket parts is a lucrative business.

This so:
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/skubb-box-set-of-6-white-00428549/
    :pac::pac:

Is this what Tesla charge about a grand for?
    Nice clear how to video, and seems very doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Is this what Tesla charge about a grand for?
    Nice clear how to video, and seems very doable.

I was surprised to see they still have the Model S as they got the MG a few months ago now. The Model S has failed to sell apparently and now with the lockdown they've had to keep it a while longer.

Good video though if you have a door handle problem. Well explained tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I would prefer to pay Tesla, no hope I'm tackling that repair on a 50k car for the savings of only a few hundred quid

ELM327 wrote: »
    I would prefer to pay Tesla, no hope I'm tackling that repair on a 50k car for the savings of only a few hundred quid

Guess it depends on your competencies. I've done a few installs on my old car. Door warning lights, footwell lights, rear view camera install. Replaced the boot loom too when the boot release started acting up. Turned out it was frayed wires like in the video above. Replaced the loom fully though. 65 quid.

IMO, worth investigating for zero cost if it happens to ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭sk8board

When will Tesla officially discontinue the S and X?

They’ve already said they won’t be refreshed again, and the M3 is well over 85% of deliveries already. that cannibalisation will only continue with the Y.

You’d be mental to buy a new S, it’s a run-out model at best. The X has the quirky appeal for some, but not so with the S.

I'd take that on myself too. Unlikely I will have to though, with the current very low mileage I'm doing it looks like I'll be getting the full 2 years warranty from Tesla :)

sk8board wrote: »
    You’d be mental to buy a new S

Sales are low as it is an aging car and very few people can afford a car like that. Not so sure it's a bad idea to buy one new though, they are better value than the Model 3 imho. It's several classes up from a Model 3 in every possible way. In fact at just €89k for a 610km WLTP range car that does 0-60 in about 3.5s it's a bit of a bargain. Will have far less depreciation than any ICE car in the same price range too. And there's very little BIK as a company car.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If I could afford a new S I'd probably buy a Taycan 4S or wait for a Model Y Performance, depending on how much space I needed.

It would be different if the supercharger network in Ireland was more extensive.

Lumen wrote: »
    If I could afford a new S I'd probably buy a Taycan 4S or wait for a Model Y Performance, depending on how much space I needed.

It would be different if the supercharger network in Ireland was more extensive.

I don't get that. The Model S can charge on CCS and even CHAdeMO too with adapters. And how much public charging do you need in Ireland with a car that has a range of 610km? :confused:

Also Model S starts at €89k
    Taycan starts at €115k

...and they share those chargers with all other EVs and those chargers are nototiously unreliable. Tesla Superchargers are in a different class reliability wise and multi stalled so would be a rare occurrence to have to queue up

Tesla Superchargers are in a different class reliability wise and multi stalled so would be a rare occurrence to have to queue up

Only because the number of Teslas in Ireland is very low. Plenty of queuing at Superchargers in other countries sometimes like at Thanksgiving :D

drivers-tesla.jpg

BTW two more Superchargers are due to open before the end of this year, in Enfield and in Sandyford

Enfield, now now, that's going on years at this stage.
    Will be most welcome though

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't get that. The Model S can charge on CCS and even CHAdeMO too with adapters. And how much public charging do you need in Ireland with a car that has a range of 610km? :confused:

Also Model S starts at €89k
    Taycan starts at €115k

I'm saying that the USP of the Tesla is the supercharging network, but that isn't much of an advantage in Ireland, at least for the routes I will drive.

I didn't realise the price difference was as high as 29%. The Taycan 4S is £83k in the UK vs £82k for the Model S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

sk8board wrote: »
    When will Tesla officially discontinue the S and X?

They’ve already said they won’t be refreshed again, and the M3 is well over 85% of deliveries already. that cannibalisation will only continue with the Y.

You’d be mental to buy a new S, it’s a run-out model at best. The X has the quirky appeal for some, but not so with the S.
    Never.

The new S update is coming within 12 months, with the Plaid drivetrain.
    Elon has repeatedly said the S and X will continue. You don't stop the 7 series just because you launch a 3 series that sells more!

Anyone buying a Taycan is certifiably insane. Over 50k more, less range, less power, less 0-60 and less charging options including no Suc.

Advertisement