Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

KCross wrote: »
    Its a $2500 part though to upgrade to MCU2... not a door handle! And its something that takes time to die. It wont die in 2 years but could very well die in 4.... and its also limited to 25,000 miles, whichever comes first, so will be less than 2 years for some people.

I guess the point is that Tesla dont trust it themselves otherwise they wouldnt have specifically called it out.

All Im saying is that it doesnt inspire confidence. Usually Tesla were of the mindset to replace things for free and put the customer first.... they seem to be behaving a bit differently on this one.

Could you have a claim for for for purpose under the EU consumer Law thingy?

You would surely have an expectation for the MCU to last longer than the 5 years.

I remember i got a speaker fixed by Apple on a 4 year old iPhone 5 before as under the Consumer Law you would expect it to function correctly and last the lifetime of the phone assuming no external factors such as water damage, impact etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Your consumer rights are still in play but if it dies on you and then you have to go through SCC to get Tesla to fix it you are without a car while that process lumbers along to get a max of €2k from it. The guys in Sandyford wont be dealing with your Small claims court case. It will be Tesla corporate.

Its missing the point either way.... Tesla dont trust it themselves. Thats not good for something that is known to give trouble. Anything I read up to now was that it was fixed and addressed. It doesnt appear to be fixed fully.... unless you take the upgrade to MCU2.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anything I read up to now was that it was fixed and addressed.

Not sure what you read or how you formed that opinion. The issue with the MCU1 hardware is that there is no issue or there shouldn't have been one :pac:

Apart from the fact that Tesla uses mediocre flash memory. Which would normally be fine for the life of the car, were it not for Teslas excessively writing data to this flash memory. Which shortens its lifespan to much lower than the life of the car

The data logging has now been mostly stopped with a software update. Still leaves the flash memory badly worn in most older Teslas. So they might still get the issue, or they might not. Aggravating factor is that it seems a lot of people (fools) do not accept software updates in general, even more tech savvy than average people who own Teslas.

And when Tesla "fixes" a broken MCU1, afaik they just replace it with another MCU1 with the same flash memory, but I'm open to correction here

When you get this problem fixed by an indy, they will fit far superior flash memory that should last the life of the car, even with excessive logging. And for little extra money they can upgrade to 4G

The Tesla upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 is not even available in this country and when it will be, it will likely cost EUR3k. Madness in my book, but ELM327 will be at the top of the queue, fair play! :D

unkel wrote: »

The data logging has now been mostly stopped with a software update.

^ This is what I meant. That apparently isn’t enough to address it if you read the article.
    And when Tesla "fixes" a broken MCU1, afaik they just replace it with another MCU1 with the same flash memory, but I'm open to correction here

Yes, that’s what they said.
    When you get this problem fixed by an indy, they will fit far superior flash memory that should last the life of the car, even with excessive logging. And for little extra money they can upgrade to 4G

There appear to be more issues than just the memory.

Personally, I’d want MCU2 but €3k is a big ask.

Aggravating factor is that it seems a lot of people (fools) do not accept software updates in general, even more tech savvy than average people who own Teslas.

The software update has helped by stopping logging but new features also add to the problem by utilising the memory more(fsd, sentry mode etc). Double edged sword.

They should just fix it properly not reduce the warranty.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough, my computer just hesitated when I went to pick up my daughter. Didn't detect key, screen gone black. Needed to open the door a few times to wake it up. Great stuff. If this happens another couple of times, I will be off to Tesla to get a brand new one under warranty free of charge :D
    The software update has helped by stopping logging but new features also add to the problem by utilising the memory more(fsd, sentry mode etc). Double edged sword.

No FSD or sentry mode on older Teslas - that seem most affected by the MCU1 issue...

No FSD or sentry mode on older Teslas - that seem most affected by the MCU1 issue...

I’m sure there are some new features using it?

There is also the issue that the new software is much bigger which leaves less space for the levelling workaround.

It is certainly something to consider when buying a used Model S.

It is certainly something to consider when buying a used Model S.

Now that is something we can agree on :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Folks, with EasyTrip (infrequent toll road user so subscription account not viable) and the Tag is not been read, I phoned them and they said with all the electronics going on in the Tesla it may be interfering with the tag.
    Getting another one sent out.

Just wondering how the rest of ye are getting on, any similar issues?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Folks, with EasyTrip (infrequent toll road user so subscription account not viable)

Are you sure about that, did you do the sums?

Monthly tag is €1.21 and the savings on an off peak M50 toll return trip are €3.16. So if you do just 5 of these trips per year, it's cheaper to have a toll tag

I only use the toll socially, not for commuting, yet I save a good €200 or more per year

• Advertisement

There's no monthly charge for the Easytrip tag so I get the full savings, just their tag they sent me does not appear to work is all...

There's no monthly charge for the Easytrip tag so I get the full savings

Not the full savings! According to their website, you save €2 per return M50 trip with the monthly €1.23 tag compared to their free tag. So 8 trips per year and you're cheaper with the monthly sub (and that's not including any other toll anywhere in Ireland that you might go through)

Personally I would recommend tolltag.ie / parkmagic. Change of car is online and very quick, you get the refund instantly every time you go through the toll. It just works. And cheaper rates than Easytrip.

Oh, must work that out given my v low usage of the M50 (and I certainly won't be heading to the airport anytime soon these days)!

Yeah I see now that you're in Athlone. So no going through the M50 toll then once or twice a week :)

For me in west Dublin it's a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

Folks, with EasyTrip (infrequent toll road user so subscription account not viable) and the Tag is not been read, I phoned them and they said with all the electronics going on in the Tesla it may be interfering with the tag.
    Getting another one sent out.

Just wondering how the rest of ye are getting on, any similar issues?

I have an eFlow tag in my MX and have no problems with it at all. I assume most/all tags in Ireland are made by the same company. It sounds like something is wrong with the tag or maybe it's not located in the right part of the windscreen.

I had a video account with eFlow so never got the discount but would only use it once or twice a month so never bothered.

Another user on here has convinced to join Tolltag also (Unkel) so I’m just waiting on my tag to arrive

On another note, update downloading now. 2020.20.17 for any MS owners there. Just happy that my 2014 car is still getting updates from Tesla. No idea what’s in the update though.

Gumbo wrote: »
    On another note, update downloading now. 2020.20.17 for any MS owners there. Just happy that my 2014 car is still getting updates from Tesla. No idea what’s in the update though.

It's a bug fix release for 2020.20.12. It will have no new functionality if you were already on 2020.20.12

It's a bug fix release for 2020.20.12. It will have no new functionality if you were already on 2020.20.12

I’m on 2020.20.1
    Never got the .12 update.

I'm still on 2020.20.1

The very first update that I got a few days after buying the car, enabled that you can actually switch off traction control in the Model S :D

Anybody got the console tray insert?
    I have the extended storage console but it’s basically an extension of the existing storage hole.

Want something for quick grabs like a pen, phone etc

Like this but want to make sure it will fit - € 9,25 | 1pcs Interior Armrest Box Container Storage Organizer For Tesla Model X model s 2016 2017 2018
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_d80EmEQ

• Advertisement

For those S owners of 2014/2015 era with the CCS upgrade, what charging speeds have you got off Ionity?
    Also, what speeds have you got off the Tesla Superchargers?
    Cheers

@gumbo, how did your S service go? How much was it and any issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I'm still on 2020.20.1

Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smck1983

For those S owners of 2014/2015 era with the CCS upgrade, what charging speeds have you got off Ionity?
    Cheers

Hit 128kW on ionity (1% SOC) and 125kW on Tesla supercharger (again 1% SOC) for 2015 P85D

@gumbo, how did your S service go? How much was it and any issues?

Went perfect.
    No issues flagged other that what I wanted them to look at.

Basically I wanted the full 100k km service.
    Cabin filter
    Brake fluid
    Air con flush
    Brakes removed and cleaned etc
    Usual checks
    Suspension checked etc

Then I had 2 little issues.
    I had a plastic clicky noise from the rear on take off forward and reverse. All the signs were pointing to the splines to be greased but it’s a half shaft removal job. I was delighted that’s all it was as it’s common on the early cars and nothing to worry about other than the annoying noise but amazing how little things improve the drive of the car so they were done.

That cost €130. Id nearly consider this a service item to be done every 3 years or so.
    I was also getting an intermittent air bag light which was traced back to a split in the drivers seat harness so that’s being replaced next week at a cost of €331.

Both covered under the warranty from the dealer I bought from so I’m delighted with that.

The full service alone cost €500. I could have saved money by using my trusted Indy but I wanted the 2 items above done through a dealer for warranty and invoice reasons (the small dealer can pay and have the invoice in their name) and by getting the service done they essentially done the diagnostic for free on the air bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Cheers
    100kW (thanks chargegate) on both

ELM327 wrote: »
    100kW (thanks chargegate) on both

With an almost completely empty battery?

The two times I used SuC in Ireland I think I was at about 15-20% SOC and I got 100 and 101kW. Must try it again at 1% SOC to set my personal best :p

With an almost completely empty battery?

The two times I used SuC in Ireland I think I was at about 15-20% SOC and I got 100 and 101kW. Must try it again at 1% SOC to set my personal best :p
    About 7-15% SOC.

I have a 90 pack so it makes sense. The 85 peaks slightly higher earlier but the average kW from 5-85% SOC is the same.
    The 90 pack with no nerf can charge at 145kW

Smck1983 wrote: »
    Hit 128kW on ionity (1% SOC) and 125kW on Tesla supercharger (again 1% SOC) for 2015 P85D

Lol, 1%, now that rimming it, thankfully you knew you were going to a multi-stall location

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    I have an eFlow tag in my MX and have no problems with it at all. I assume most/all tags in Ireland are made by the same company. It sounds like something is wrong with the tag or maybe it's not located in the right part of the windscreen.

You have to put it on the black bit beside the mirror or it doesnt work , in my experience.

Advertisement