Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Nedved85 wrote: »
    They'll surely offer something. Car due in 4 days and now it's been reallocated to someone in the UK. Free supercharging on the new car and a loaner in the meantime and I'd be relatively happy...

The internet is littered with stories of poor Tesla delivery experiences and very little effort by Tesla to make up for it. To be fair, almost all of those stories came from the US so it'll be interesting to see if it's any different here. For me, a loaner car would be the only suitable compensation but it's the least likely to happen. Free supercharging is a bit of a red herring in Ireland. Unless you happen to drive one of the three applicable routes on a regular basis, it'll make no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

markpb wrote: »
    Free supercharging is a bit of a red herring in Ireland. Unless you happen to drive one of the three applicable routes on a regular basis, it'll make no difference.

Or take the car on regular long distance international trips. Or if you're in the Dublin area and the Enfield or Sandyford Superchargers materialise. Two big ifs, so I agree with your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

slave1 wrote: »
    Your Raven is simply the best EV on the planet,

Couldn't agree more with you here and on reflection, Tesla is the only new car I would buy today (company tax incentive/competing tech/value for spec)... I've been through ALL the stages: rage, sorrow, forgiveness, rage again etc.....

The fact is; I wouldn't purchase another EV than a Tesla (today), I would look at a second hand Petrol/Diesel/Hybrid luxury car as an alternative... I was happy w/ my Audi and I handed the keys away last week - so now I potentially have to buy a second hand car to replace my perfectly fine car losing a lot of money in the trade (I could cry!!)

I need a car for work everyday. I had geared my company accounts to purchase an EV this year. I was bought into Tesla (endless hours on YouTube). This has really F'd me. I've been looking at using the wife's car to tie me over. However for personal (she uses it every day) and insurance reasons this is not doable.
    I’d let them offer something but in all honesty it’s free supercharging or premium connectivity I’d be after...you could look back on this in years to come as the best thing that happened (hopefully)

They've offered me a free wall connector (I've already purchased and installed one). While 500 EUR is no small amount of money, relative to the impact for me, helps nothing. If they had given me more than 4 days notice I could arranged for this better,

Free supercharging would be reasonable imo, however it's rare I'm on Supercharger routes with the exception of a Belfast run every few months to visit the in-laws. What I really need is a car this Wednesday- I'm hoping they rectify this tomorrow (Monday) morning, a spare car is what I need.
    JPA wrote: »
    I'll be surprised if they do anything at all but interested to see

This is my own thinking on their likely response, it's easier for them to walk away from the situation... Not only does this leave me both in a bad practical situation; but also I can't self respectively purchase from them ever again.

To be fair, the Irish dealership has been excellent to date; not pushy, know their stuff, great CS before this happened -- keen to see how they handle this.

The situation that has arose is very strange, The car was ordered, I had confirmation of the VIN alongside the delivery date/confirmation emails.

They said they are looking into how the VIN was assigned to two customers -- but my gut reaction was a UK dealership knocked me from the queue.

Then again, first world problems :p .......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well you have a base now, €530 for the free charge point, I'd cajole free premium connectivity and free supercharging, if you are going to keep this car for years then the free supercharging will only improve in time

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Just on the supercharging, there are currently 3 locations in Ireland but when the current planned locations in Cork, Enfield, just outside Galway, Dublin and Belfast go in, the coverage will be a lot better and one thing about the Tesla chargers is they are always proper hubs with multi stalls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Also, the locations have been "coming soon" for 4 years in some cases

The Enfield is a planning/access issue and historical alright, think Athenry is a carry over from last year, not sure about others.
    Belfast is well due a Service Centre and I'd imaging Superchargers at the same time, anyone from the North who purchases from Tesla has to pick up their car from mainland UK at present!!!

The Enfield is a planning/access issue and historical alright, think Athenry is a carry over from last year, not sure about others.
    Belfast is well due a Service Centre and I'd imaging Superchargers at the same time, anyone from the North who purchases from Tesla has to pick up their car from mainland UK at present!!!
    **shudder**

Yes it's overdue, as is dublin, dublin to galway, dublin to north west etc

Booked my car in for a service / fixes, first available slot was two weeks from now. When sunroof is open, the little rubber ledge at the front of it is protruding out of the car and being quite noisy at speeds. I don't think that's normal?

Also need a front main headlight bulb. This is a wheel off job, remove large plastic cover and get at it through the wheel well. Looks quite fiddly, won't bother trying it myself. I would normally expect light bulbs to be consumables, not covered under warranty, but a quick google shows that some people claim it is covered under Tesla warranty.

I occasionally hear a big heavy "clunking" noise coming from the drivers side door, might be the window mechanism not being quite right

And I need to do a hard reboot from time to time. Maybe just because the car is nothing but a computer and one needs to reboot a computer at every sign of trouble first before ringing the help desk :p or perhaps an early sign of MCU1 failure? In case of the latter, I might as well mention this. The car is under Tesla warranty until March 2022

When I was on the hunt for my S I found out Tesla can pop your VIN into their "system" and remotely inform you if your MCU1 is approaching failure (I assume they have some algorithm to diagnose the memory writespan?).
    I don't have any of your "symptoms"

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Booked my car in for a service / fixes, first available slot was two weeks from now. When sunroof is open, the little rubber ledge at the front of it is protruding out of the car and being quite noisy at speeds. I don't think that's normal?

Also need a front main headlight bulb. This is a wheel off job, remove large plastic cover and get at it through the wheel well. Looks quite fiddly, won't bother trying it myself. I would normally expect light bulbs to be consumables, not covered under warranty, but a quick google shows that some people claim it is covered under Tesla warranty.

I occasionally hear a big heavy "clunking" noise coming from the drivers side door, might be the window mechanism not being quite right

And I need to do a hard reboot from time to time. Maybe just because the car is nothing but a computer and one needs to reboot a computer at every sign of trouble first before ringing the help desk :p or perhaps an early sign of MCU1 failure? In case of the latter, I might as well mention this. The car is under Tesla warranty until March 2022

The odd reboot (especially around update time) is normal.
    If it's happening more frequently than the odd time I'd get it looked at asap while you're under warranty!

I've rebooted the HUD only once and that was after CCS firmware update, the main screen twice I think and that was just to get the Web explorer working again

ELM327 wrote: »
    The odd reboot (especially around update time) is normal.
    If it's happening more frequently than the odd time I'd get it looked at asap while you're under warranty!

Warranty still valid for another nearly 2 years :D

But yeah, my gut feeling is that it's just computer hick ups, not so much the MCU1

Be interesting to see what Tesla says!

LOL, they'll say nothing, you'll get much more out of the Ranger

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Book a M3 test drive for the same time as your service drop off ;)

Ah is that what you did, book Model 3 P test drive? You didn't just get it as a loaner? Were you allowed to drive it on your own and for the full duration of how long the service on your Model S took?

I took these from the bargain thread, better suited in here:
    If it has hardware but not software for AP, you could pay to enable it and its still super cheap!
    Yeah you say that, but have we actually established if Tesla Sandyford will do this for you? And if so at what cost?

I rang Tesla Sandyford about this last week. They took my email address and promised to get back to me with an answer ASAP. I'm still waiting. I will mention it again when I'm over there in person in two weeks time.

So yours has the hardware Unkel, I've always reckoned Musk will just have a flash sale sometime and drop the price to stupid levels just to pump in some once off revenue at the end of a quarter.
    These hardware equipped but software disabled AP1 cars have to be diminishing over time

So yours has the hardware Unkel, I've always reckoned Musk will just have a flash sale sometime and drop the price to stupid levels just to pump in some once off revenue at the end of a quarter.
    These hardware equipped but software disabled AP1 cars have to be diminishing over time
    It doesnt have the hardware

No, mine is a July 2014 car, the hardware did not exist at the time. I don't have it. I'm just asking Tesla so it might help other people :)

I might fit the OEM Bosch radar at some point though. It's only a few hundred quid.

• Advertisement

No, mine is a July 2014 car, the hardware did not exist at the time. I don't have it. I'm just asking Tesla so it might help other people :)

I might fit the OEM Bosch radar at some point though. It's only a few hundred quid.
    You'd be better off going with open pilot

Ah is that what you did, book Model 3 P test drive? You didn't just get it as a loaner? Were you allowed to drive it on your own and for the full duration of how long the service on your Model S took?

Yes, sorry of that was not clear.
    I booked the M3 test drive through the site. When they called me to arrange i explained i was in for service and booked the drive for the same time.

I did'nt specify a M3P, but the 192 MP2 was filthy and i assume was the dedicated test car so i'm not sure if you can have the option of the SR or LR etc

I was given the car for an hour but i was on my own so did'nt need the hour tbh

You'd be better off going with open pilot

I am! The OEM radar plugs straight into the OP kit.

The only reason I haven't got the kit already is that they are in the middle of a switch over to new generation hardware based on the new Nvidia Jetson TX2 (AI dev kit)

I could pick up the old gen kit for peanuts, but I'd rather wait a few more weeks until they got the new gen stuff right. Even the old hardware had much better steering than AP1, this new kit will improve further over time and also the active cruise is supposed to get up to AP1 standards soon (but you do need the radar and pedal hardware for that too)

I read during the week some guy in the UK took Tesla to the small claims court over the MCU failure and won. It was on the FB group.

Tesla never turned up so basically the judge awarded the full cost of replacement plus interest to the owner.

Will he get paid I wonder.....?

If it's a Judgement then Yes or Tesla will be in a whole different sort of bother.
    I've taken 3 SCC, won all and with pretty much instant settlement (none went to court)

Same here, 2 SCC cases lodged, both were paid in full immediately once I showed the other party that case was registered. Neither went further, so they didn't cost me anything (you lodge a case, then wait till the case is accepted, then you pay the fee and the case goes ahead)

I believe in the vast majority of all cases the defendant does not show up and the court finds automatically in favour of the plaintiff. And in most of the rest of the cases, the court will tend to side with the plaintiff if their case is reasonable. You can expect an MCU to work for more than the few years it is under warranty. If it fails after 3-4 years, it is definitely reasonable to expect it to be fixed for free under warranty. After 6 years, not so much so imho. But if the defendant doesn't show, you win :D

Do the older cars have auto hold feature?
    When I come to a stop, I either keep my foot on the brake or engage P. If I engage P, then interior lights up like Christmas as I have the dome lights on/auto for opening and closing so want to keep this.

The feature is when stopped you press harder on the brake pedal seemly.

Easy to post here and ask but I’ll be back to the car in a bit.

Yeah it does, it's software controlled. It's somewhere in the menu. I don't like auto hold, I like creep like in traditional autos.

Yeah it does, it's software controlled. It's somewhere in the menu. I don't like auto hold, I like creep like in traditional autos.

I have creep off. I’d turn creep back on if I could get it to hold at the lights.
    I hate sitting at the lights with my foot on the brake too.
    Weird first works problems :)

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    Do the older cars have auto hold feature?
    When I come to a stop, I either keep my foot on the brake or engage P. If I engage P, then interior lights up like Christmas as I have the dome lights on/auto for opening and closing so want to keep this.

The feature is when stopped you press harder on the brake pedal seemly.

Easy to post here and ask but I’ll be back to the car in a bit.

Press the stalk once for park, a couple of seconds for “hand” brake, handy to know for NCT

Advertisement