Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

EVs have generally had higher values in the UK for the last year, even two years. Very few exceptions, mostly just the ones with a tiny second hand market here, like the Tesla Model S. And even then there's not much in it if you take into account the values these actually go for over here (not the asking price on the ad)

A good example is the early Nissan Leaf. You can pick these up here from about €3,500 but you rarely see them much under GBP5,000 over there...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bf wrote: »
    Cap on it is c£38k ��. My experience at the moment is there is little or no savings to be made at UK auctions at the moment (Electric or ICE)

I don’t think I’d pay 38k for that to be honest.

Anyone See the video of Bjorns that shows Tesla have capped the Model S super charge speed ? a lot of p1ssed off model S owners out there, think it effects older model S owners, rumoured to be too many battery warranty claims.

Anyone See the video of Bjorns that shows Tesla have capped the Model S super charge speed ? a lot of p1ssed off model S owners out there, think it effects older model S owners, rumoured to be too many battery warranty claims.

That's last year's news :p

I've only supercharged twice so far and both times I got >100kW to start with, but then quickly going down, the higher the SOC got

That's fine with me. The car is over 6 years old. The vast majority of brand new EVs charge slower than that

Also both times I could have made my trip without supercharging if I had fully charged at home as the range of the car is 300-400km. But I didn't bother as my car has free supercharging, so might as well use it

unkel wrote: »
    That's last year's news :p

I've only supercharged twice so far and both times I got >100kW to start with, but then quickly going down, the higher the SOC got

That's fine with me. The car is over 6 years old. The vast majority of brand new EVs charge slower than that

Also both times I could have made my trip without supercharging if I had fully charged at home as the range of the car is 300-400km. But I didn't bother as my car has free supercharging, so might as well use it

So I suppose People are p1ssed for nothing after a software update slowed down their charging considerably according to Bjorn ?

• Advertisement

So I suppose People are p1ssed for nothing after a software update slowed down their charging considerably according to Bjorn ?

Didn’t effect Ireland as far as I know as we don’t have the higher output super chargers anyway.

I’m still waiting to pop my SC cherry, free unlimited SC’ing and I haven’t used it once :)

HA yeah, I wouldn't need it often but would p1ss me off if 30 odd mins were added to my charge time when I needed it.

HA yeah, I wouldn't need it often but would p1ss me off if 30 odd mins were added to my charge time when I needed it.

10-50% SOC takes 5 minutes longer
    50-80% SOC takes 7 minutes longer
    10-80% SOC takes 12 minutes longer (55 minutes instead 43 minutes in 2014)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I think the issue isnt so much the slower speed it's that it got nerfed by a recent software update. There are downsides to over-the-air updates too! :)

Tesla are protecting their warranty!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've supercharged my S recently as did a few road trips.

If you arrive at a low SOC then the car will ramp to 120-123 then fairly quickly drop to around 93, then a second drop to 78, once the car gets to 80% SOC the charge drops to 32 and from 80% SOC onwards I have little experience as I've had my grub by then and am away.
    I haven't been sitting in the car getting these stats, just observations from the App while taking a break/snacking.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    I've supercharged my S recently as did a few road trips.

If you arrive at a low SOC then the car will ramp to 120-123

That's as fast as it ever was when the car was brand new. Out of interest, what was your SOC, below 10%? And what year / mileage is your car?

Both my times I was around 13-15% (can't remember exactly) and got 100-101kW to start, 142 car with then about 135k km, always on the latest software. I'll post back here the next time I get to supercharge. If only we had one in Sandyford, I'd go for a weekly free supercharge to cover all my mileage (for free) :p For now,I'll have to make do with a free 23kW charge when shopping in Lidl once or twice a week :D

To get those high initial charges I need to be in teens, I made the mistake of arriving at one with 4X% SOC and the speed was brutal slow.
    151 67k kms
    Thing is costing me a fortune, done 7k kms since I got her and €11 in charging cost (combination of free slow chargers/free supercharging/free destination charging). I routed our staycation days away along free destination charging which helped a fair bit, also a 1,300km road trip via Tesla superchargers.

Actually, been meaning to post this, I was heading to Ballacalla Supercharger at the weekend, was something like 30minutes away and set it as destination but I never got any "preheating battery" notification which I thought I would, was my first supercharge since the software update that includes preheating for the S

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I've never gotten that message either in my facelift 2016 S.

I saw it on a YT vid but it was a Model 3, maybe the S does it but we don't get the on screen notification

I set the satnav the first time too as I wanted to avoid the toll (was on my own, had plenty of time and like driving the small roads) - did not get any warning either.
    Thing is costing me a fortune, done 7k kms since I got her and €11 in charging cost

Haha yeah same here. Our staycation in Galway was good as we had the best parking space in the hotel every night and car fully charged for free every morning. So far I've charged the car a few times at home (some of it from my solar PV), but almost all charging so far has been free. Have the car 6 months next week. 9k km done, which for me and with the lockdown, is more than normal. Those 9k km cost me maybe €20-30 or so in electricity

In the last 6 months I have done approx 3k km. (context: In the 3-4 months before covid I did 23k km)
    I couldnt put a cost on it but a lot was free (free esb DC charging for a while on plugsurfing, most AC public charging was free etc)

Usually in 6 months I'd do 25-30k km. WFH is great :)

Actually, been meaning to post this, I was heading to Ballacalla Supercharger at the weekend, was something like 30minutes away and set it as destination but I never got any "preheating battery" notification which I thought I would, was my first supercharge since the software update that includes preheating for the S
    ELM327 wrote: »
    I've never gotten that message either in my facelift 2016 S.
    I set the satnav the first time too as I wanted to avoid the toll (was on my own, had plenty of time and like driving the small roads) - did not get any warning either.

Just thinking, we may see it come Winter

In the last 6 months I have done approx 3k km. (context: In the 3-4 months before covid I did 23k km)
    I couldnt put a cost on it but a lot was free (free esb DC charging for a while on plugsurfing, most AC public charging was free etc)

Usually in 6 months I'd do 25-30k km. WFH is great :)

WFH sure is great to keep the roads free for those of us who need to drive to work. Long may it last!!!:D

WFH sure is great to keep the roads free for those of us who need to drive to work. Long may it last!!!:D
    Absolutely.

I always had WFH optionally whenever I wanted but herself didnt. Now we both have it and I can't ever see us going back to 100% office based and crazy commuting.

If I'd have known this last year, I wouldnt have bought a Tesla to do like 10k a year in, I'd have bought a large lazy V8 barge.

• Advertisement

I don't and probably won't have the option to work from home working in a Data Centre I have to keep all ye folk working from home being able to continue to work from home lol. I'm deemed critical infrastructure staff or whatever they call it.

One of the guys on the FB group had.m a failed MCU1 last week. He’s just posted this update. Can anyone make out if it’s an MCU1 fix or upgrade to MCU2?

Quick update from Tesla service - MSX MCU PC TEGRA DAUGHTERBOARD-PROVISIONED (64GB)
    (2728211-S0-A) broken, quoted for 470e total - lead time 3-4 weeks to get parts to Dublin, i am stuck without car for month :(

MCU1 with larger chip, rather than get a "refurb" MCU1 you are getting a "new" MCU1 but that still has the same point of failure albeit with a 64 memory chip instead of 8

"The part #: 2728211-S0-A is simply a production new Tegra board, BUT with the Hynix eMMC that will fail again after a few years"

Flips sake can we just get to the MCU2 upgrades already!
    Let's ask Elon's buddy from the Tesla Owner Ireland group?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I got this message going to Birdhill on Saturday. I was originally navigating to Limerick but changed my route about 30 minutes beforehand.

If I'd have known this last year, I wouldnt have bought a Tesla to do like 10k a year in, I'd have bought a large lazy V8 barge.

Nothing stopping you doing it now! In fact every day your Tesla sits outside your home doing nothing, it depreciates by €10 or thereabouts. That said, every day your future V8 sits outside your house doing nothing will cost you €10 or thereabouts in motor tax and build up of maintenance work to be done soon :pac:
    Gumbo wrote: »
    One of the guys on the FB group had.m a failed MCU1 last week. He’s just posted this update. Can anyone make out if it’s an MCU1 fix or upgrade to MCU2?

He is without car for a month? I don't know about his case, but chances are he has himself to blame for that. MCU1 almost always takes a while to go, there are almost always many warnings that it is on the way out from what I've read about it.

Nyland tests one of the oldest Model S cars in Norway, 7 years old and still on the original battery, probably also the original motor. 2013 P85 RWD, 7 seater

Consumption a bit high, probably caused by some mechanical problem, wheels seem imbalanced. And 21" wheels

Indicated range 380km (when new with 19" wheels this was 420km)

So it seems there has been very little battery degradation

0-100km/h in about 4.6s (but his SOC was far too low to be ideal) and the 21" wheels have higher inertia, so pretty decent compared with new too, very little loss of power

Nyland tests one of the oldest Model S cars in Norway, 7 years old and still on the original battery, probably also the original motor. 2013 P85 RWD, 7 seater

Consumption a bit high, probably caused by some mechanical problem, wheels seem imbalanced. And 21" wheels

0-100km/h in about 4.6s (but his SOC was far too low to be ideal) and the 21" wheels have higher inertia, so pretty decent compared with new too, very little loss of power

I only watched that today :)
    I have the it kWh revision D battery, whatever that means as he had me checking the sticker after seeing the video.
    My 96% figure displayed 426km the last time it was there so that’s there or thereabouts with the video car.

I also have the 21” wheels which I suspected have a big impact on the range.

Even at 7 years old, it’s RWD so it was the fastest 2WD he has tested. And close up to the big boys that are all 4WD.
    Made me appreciate our “classics” :)

Just checked mine now, 72% shows 332km rated and 265km typical.
    That indicates 461km rated or 368km typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

That is seriously impressive with regards degradation - wasn't expecting it to be that small, was guessing maybe 15% at start of vid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Old but low mileage, it's done less than 80k km in those 7 years.

Advertisement