Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

Lumen wrote: »
    Old but low mileage, it's done less than 80k km in those 7 years.

Yeah very low mileage, pity he didn't pick one with 160,000 Kms or more and 7 years it's as if he picked one of the lowest mileage to try prove something.

In 7 years I'd drive 350,000 Kms and the rest :D

You'd find it hard here to find a low mileage 7 year old Model s 85 Kwh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Orebro wrote: »
    That is seriously impressive with regards degradation - wasn't expecting it to be that small, was guessing maybe 15% at start of vid.
    Lumen wrote: »
    Old but low mileage, it's done less than 80k km in those 7 years.

Think the low mileage could mean low fast charging and good battery management (50%-70%) which is ideal.
    Could be wrong with all that of course.
    Does appear to be a bit of an outlier as a P85 of that era on those rims with that range seems very high.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

slave1 wrote: »
    Does appear to be a bit of an outlier as a P85 of that era on those rims with that range seems very high.

Not so sure it is. My own P85 is only a year younger (with near double the mileage) and I get an indicated range of 400km (was 420km when new) which suggests 95% capacity still there

From memory in a fairly recent study of older Model S in the USA, the average car retained 94% of battery capacity. Pretty amazing considering Tesla let you use a fairly high percentage of the total capacity (more than most other manufacturers) and Tesla allows fairly high charging C rates (again more than most other manufacturers)

Not that it matters to me much, I'd be happy enough if my car only had 80% of its original capacity after 6 years and 140k km

One thing though I noticed recently, on the very few times I did try charge the car to full (home / hotel), it only charged to 97 or 98%. Anyone else have that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yeah very low mileage, pity he didn't pick one with 160,000 Kms or more and 7 years it's as if he picked one of the lowest mileage to try prove something.

In 7 years I'd drive 350,000 Kms and the rest :D

You'd find it hard here to find a low mileage 7 year old Model s 85 Kwh.

102,500km on my 2014.
    99,800 on it when I bought it in June.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    One thing though I noticed recently, on the very few times I did try charge the car to full (home / hotel), it only charged to 97 or 98%. Anyone else have that?

The one and only time I charged that high it stopped at 98% and the app said full.
    I asked on the FB group and they said it needs to be balanced. Run it to below 10% and then charge to fill again.

I haven’t done that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I find that as I havent charged to full very often, it takes one or two "goes" to get the 100.
    Doesnt bother me.

Same here, not like the leaf where I can easily charge to 100% in a few hours and drive her down very low out and about the town.
    Think I've charged to 99% once setting off on road trip, other than that I have the charge limit at 85%

Not so sure it is. My own P85 is only a year younger (with near double the mileage) and I get an indicated range of 400km (was 420km when new) which suggests 95% capacity still there

From memory in a fairly recent study of older Model S in the USA, the average car retained 94% of battery capacity. Pretty amazing considering Tesla let you use a fairly high percentage of the total capacity (more than most other manufacturers) and Tesla allows fairly high charging C rates (again more than most other manufacturers)

Not that it matters to me much, I'd be happy enough if my car only had 80% of its original capacity after 6 years and 140k km

I found this a useful tool when looking which car to get, certainly put me off the 21's for the era of S I was after...

s-km-912.png

ELM327 wrote: »
    I find that as I havent charged to full very often, it takes one or two "goes" to get the 100.
    Doesnt bother me.

That's probably what it is lads, because so far I have almost always charged for free on public chargers, I only got a partial charge (when out on the beach, shopping, hiking, etc.)

Doesn't bother me either. Car has so much range that even if the percentage is low, you can still do a decent trip. And there seems to be a 22kW charger in every town in Ireland, so if you really run out, 30-60 minutes on one of those and you're good to go again

My service got postponed until the middle of the month and I'm starting to doubt again if I should go for the CCS conversion. It is very cheap for €299, but I can't see that I will ever need to use it. Except maybe in case of an emergency and the car is very low on charge. I could charge up round the corner from me at 50kW on DC CCS rather than 23kW on AC at the same ESB charger. Or is this difference pretty meh too?

• Advertisement

Essentially add up the time you've been sitting waiting on 22kW and half it. That's the benefit you'll get with CCS, along with potential of HPC usage and the option to use V3 superchargers as all new sites in the UK are predominantly V3 (CCS only)

Take the car pricing Gods gift you had with purchase price and get it done, in the long run all older Model S's will do it and it's a good comfort factor.
    I was well happy to hook up to the new eCars High Power charger in Galway when my destination charger was out of order few weeks back, same power for you and me as a Tesla Supercharger

I've read that the P90 D suffered a lot more degradation.

I think If I have a model S or 60 odd Kwh EV I could get away with charging to 70% daily for my 140-155 Km commute.

The 90 packs were the worst for Tesla in terms of deg. Still better than other OEMs (especially nissan) but I've seen 7-10 % deg on the 90 packs vs lower single digits for the others.

My own S90D(4 years old with 175k km) has about 8%-10% degradation.

Here’s the follow up to the previous video

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

My service got postponed until the middle of the month and I'm starting to doubt again if I should go for the CCS conversion. It is very cheap for €299, but I can't see that I will ever need to use it. Except maybe in case of an emergency and the car is very low on charge. I could charge up round the corner from me at 50kW on DC CCS rather than 23kW on AC at the same ESB charger. Or is this difference pretty meh too?

Can you put a price on that?
    Thats really what is boils down to.
    Charging around the corner from your house isnt really why you are adding CCS... its when you are at the other side of the country on a holiday and you get caught out.

€300 is small money for the extra freedom it will give you. I'd say you might not be appreciating it yet because of Covid. Maybe when you do a few staycations you might appreciate it a bit more then?

KCross wrote: »
    Charging around the corner from your house isnt really why you are adding CCS... its when you are at the other side of the country on a holiday and you get caught out.

€300 is small money for the extra freedom it will give you. I'd say you might not be appreciating it yet because of Covid. Maybe when you do a few staycations you might appreciate it a bit more then?

I don't think so. We actually stopped at that Galway superfast ESB charger for a break. Even if I had CCS, I would not have charged there as the car had more than plenty to get to our destination in Connemara (got there later with 30% left) where I knew I would have destination charger (booked the car in for it too, just in case).

I do very, very little long distance (>300km) travelling with the family on board and if I'm on my own I don't mind if I have to charge somewhere for 30 minutes or 60 minutes. I've always plenty to do anyway (email, phone calls, surf boards or whatever :p)
    Can you put a price on that?
    Thats really what is boils down to.

It really only boils down to having it for emergencies. That said, I would always plug the car in at home if I'm under 20%, so kind of worst case scenario is that I only have 20% left in an emergency. This will still give me 60-80km range. I can't think of an emergency where I'd need more than that. In case it's not an emergency and I'd need an additional say 100km, this would take me a bit under 30 minutes around the corner on CCS or 60 minutes on AC. I can live with the extra half an hour.

And I know it's great value for €299. But it's not a great spend if you never use it. And it won't up the value of my car (resale value) either, not that I am planning to sell it anyway.

And if we do get a supercharger in Dublin, then all of the above emergency arguments are void. I can supercharge at up to 100kW (vs just 50kW on CCS ESB) and it is also completely free for me.

You'll only get 43kW on a 50 charger so just a jump from 23 to 43 versus AC, you won't jump 23 to 50

There you go, so indeed about 30 minutes on CCS vs 60 minutes on AC to give me nearly an extra 100km motorway range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I would have thought that access to Ionity and other HPC's is what you would add it for rather than 50kW chargers.

slave1 wrote: »
    You'll only get 43kW on a 50 charger so just a jump from 23 to 43 versus AC, you won't jump 23 to 50
    Interesting point to note, CCS curve on a 50kW for me goes from 40-47kW. Chademo on the other hand goes from mid 30s to 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm starting to doubt again if I should go for the CCS conversion. It is very cheap for €299, but I can't see that I will ever need to use it.

At that price, I'd say just go for it.

If you choose to sell the car down the line (for a Model 3P), you'll be competing with all other Model S's of that era that did get the CCS conversion.

Add to that that by the time we do ('if we do') finally get more Superchargers in Ireland, they'd most likely be CCS only (which is probably the reason for the reduced price on the CCS conversion).

Add to that that by the time we do ('if we do') finally get more Superchargers in Ireland, they'd most likely be CCS only (which is probably the reason for the reduced price on the CCS conversion).

I read on another forum that Tesla shipped a couple of hundred Superchargers to Europe last week, didn't take note of the quantity but hoping to fill our Cork/Athenry/Belfast/Dublin/Enfield babies.
    Enfield and Athenry would really be good for my routes

Would someone ever think of the M9 lol.

I would have thought that access to Ionity and other HPC's is what you would add it for rather than 50kW chargers.

No I don't really need CCS, I think I can get to pretty much where ever I want to go in Ireland without stopping to charge, or with just one supercharge

I'm considering it purely for emergencies and as a backup
    by the time we do ('if we do') finally get more Superchargers in Ireland, they'd most likely be CCS only (which is probably the reason for the reduced price on the CCS conversion).

Yes, that is probably the argument that is nudging me over the edge to go ahead and do it. We're highly likely to get more superchargers in Ireland within the next year or two but they could very well be CCS only. Several of the newest ones on the continent are. That's my mind made up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You have to do it. By Tesla standards they're practically giving it away!

Not everything Tesla is expensive, their wall charger is very good value, 22kW for just over €500

From the FB Group
    Ok So Musk is back tweeting again. I presume from his private jet en route back to the USA.

There was talk of Strawberry fields, butts, launching satellites into space, The germans are very supportive of Tesla, and he's very grateful for the warm reception.

In other news, through back channels (read that as not sandyford) we have confirmed that MCU2 will be available for MCU1 S/X Models soon in Europe. Starting next week in fact. The price will be 2500 euro (approx, may be 2600 ish).

It includes:

• MCU2

• IC2 (yaay for visualisations when FSD ships to Europe)

It does not include:

FM Radio (sad panda)

I reached out to Sandyford for an official response, I'm awaiting that now. But other Service Centres in Europe have been practising retrofitting MCU2 and they've let the country level Presidents of the owners clubs know that it's coming.

You heard it here second.

• Advertisement

€2.5k, good luck with that

Advertisement