Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

unkel wrote: »
    LTE = 4G innit?

Looks like your car must have been upgraded at some point :cool:

Maybe it was a UK car and the MCU was fixed by an indy over there? Does your internet feel fairly quick (it is fairly slow on 3G as you can imagine) - do your Google maps refresh quickly?

My car is deffo a UK car alright.
    I don’t know if the web is quick or slow I must check it.

Where I live I have really bad signal on my phone so I must test it when out and about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

unkel wrote: »
    LTE = 4G innit?

Looks like your car must have been upgraded at some point :cool:

Maybe it was a UK car and the MCU was fixed by an indy over there? Does your internet feel fairly quick (it is fairly slow on 3G as you can imagine) - do your Google maps refresh quickly?

I have LTE the odd time too, not sure it's 4G, halfway?
    MCU was replaced in February this year

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Guys, quick one.
    I've never tried it but can the Model S hook up to the Type 2 DC connections in the eCars triple headers? e.g. if CCS in use then use the Type 2

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

slave1 wrote: »
    Guys, quick one.
    I've never tried it but can the Model S hook up to the Type 2 DC connections in the eCars triple headers? e.g. if CCS in use then use the Type 2
    Yup, and youll get 11kW/17.5kW/22kW depending on model.

*type2 AC not DC. The only type2 DC is the supercharger network

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

https://twitter.com/teslaownersuk/status/1303341245931106305?s=21

Tesla Owners UK
    @TeslaOwnersUK
    MCU1 > MCU2 Retrofit now available in the UK. Owners of all Model S and Model X vehicles with AP2.x and Tegra MCU are now eligible to book for MCU upgrades. MCU upgrade is a voluntary procedure provided on a customer-pay basis. The cost of the upgrade is GBP2,000 + VAT

• Advertisement

Does the AP version matter for the MCU? I had thought it was unrelated?

jhegarty wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/teslaownersuk/status/1303341245931106305?s=21

Tesla Owners UK
    @TeslaOwnersUK
    MCU1 > MCU2 Retrofit now available in the UK. Owners of all Model S and Model X vehicles with AP2.x and Tegra MCU are now eligible to book for MCU upgrades. MCU upgrade is a voluntary procedure provided on a customer-pay basis. The cost of the upgrade is GBP2,000 + VAT

Yes it’s been available to Irish customers since this week also.
    Invoice price of €2252 without FM radio.

One of the lads is waiting for FM radio support next month and getting it done. It also includes HW3 for FSD.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Yes it’s been available to Irish customers since this week also.
    Invoice price of €2252 without FM radio.

One of the lads is waiting for FM radio support next month and getting it done. It also includes HW3 for FSD.
    That €2252 is pre vat, it's actually ~€2700 after vat.
    I'm in the same boat, if they will be doing it for AP1 cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

sorry not a tesla owner but what does that get you folks? extra functionality or just a faster computer?

Well that excludes the most vulnerable owners i.e. 2014/2015/majority of 2016 Tesla owners because they are pre AP 2.X and also purely due to their age will have "suffered" the irreversible excess data logging.
    MCU1 failure is a matter of when, not if.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    sorry not a tesla owner but what does that get you folks? extra functionality or just a faster computer?
    Some extra functionality, a faster computer, and removes the threat of emmc chip failure

Well that excludes the most vulnerable owners i.e. 2014/2015/majority of 2016 Tesla owners because they are pre AP 2.X and also purely due to their age will have "suffered" the irreversible excess data logging.

This is why I will be getting it done when it's released to earlier cars.

As an FYI Tesla can remotely log into the car and see how close the car is to the MCU1 "limit" and if coming up to the "limit" can advise replacement.
    I had two prospective UK owners do this with the very friendly ranger before moving to a different purchase.
    One of the owners in Scotland acted on it and had the MCU1 replaced under warranty.
    I find the Rangers very good and will be very obliging and once you talk to them in person will give you good advice...

I’ve no interest in MCU2 as I’m 2014 and no AP.
    I’ll just do the eMMc upgrade if/when I get the problem.

I’m just wondering if mine has been done already now as I seem to have 4G/LTE connection.

Any easy way to find out?
    It wasn’t done by Tesla as they checked for me last time I was there.

Cyrus wrote: »

Faster computer.
    Additional features with media and streaming etc
    Removed risk of eMMc failure.
    But the big one is for FSD cars. They get HW3.

Hardly includes upgraded bits and bobs to get you from AP1 to AP2+

Hardly includes upgraded bits and bobs to get you from AP1 to AP2+
    No, I'd imagine that would cost several thousand more.

Boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Pretty sure no AP -> AP1 and AP1 -> AP2/3 are both not possible (from Tesla)

If I had AP1 I probably wouldn't be too keen on "upgrading" anyway. It's in many ways a better system. Don't tell Musk I said this :p

That's true, a lot of chatter on forums are undecided between 1 and 2, the main benefit of 2 being OTA upgrades whereas 1 is now stuck in time.
    I think it's 2.5+ where the difference really kicks in

To be honest it will only be 5G and the Data Centre when FSD will become a reality. As I said before, Microsoft's Azure platform will be performing this intense compute task in the nearer future and I expect AWS will follow if not around the same time and unless tesla build their own Data Centres I am sure they will end up in AWS or Azure where all this compute power can be done without the need for continuous hardware advancements in the car.

How this should work I'm not exactly certain but it will involve large chunks of Data only possible with 5G and no 5G won't kill you because it works at similar frequencies to 4g currently, radar cruise however works up to 70 Ghz so the anti 5G crowd should think about this first on the road before they start burning 5G towers lol.

• Advertisement

That's true, a lot of chatter on forums are undecided between 1 and 2, the main benefit of 2 being OTA upgrades whereas 1 is now stuck in time.
    I think it's 2.5+ where the difference really kicks in

AP1 has been stuck in time for years. Still performs well though and no phantom breaking. The latter would seriously put me off using AP at all. I'd rather a basic system that just has some basic features, like steering and autonomous (emergency) braking, in other words just autonomous driving level 2 (like AP1 and like I had in Ioniq) than a fancier system that is not quite there yet and can be very dangerous if you trust it too much

Of course eventually AP2 and upwards will be updated and have FSD and be near perfect. But that is some time away if you don't believe Musk's optimism on this :p

I wouldnt want AP2+, perfectly happy with my AP1 + EAP

And for those of us without AP hardware, the current status of the OP system (from comma.ai) even for the very early cars is that its steering and lane keeping is better than AP1 (and it keeps evolving, where AP1 has been dead for years). But in its most basic form it will only use video for active cruise control. Which is not as precise as radar. And it will only use regen braking for ACC braking, which is not powerful enough for any emergency situations and the base system does not have full Tesla dashboard integration

Easy enough and cheap enough to plug and play:

1. pedal add on - gives you full braking
    2. radar - gives you superior distance measuring than video
    3. Tinkla buddy - gives you full integration with the Tesla system in the car so it is indistinguishable from Tesla's own AP system

New very powerful hardware is being developed, but it's not quite there yet, development seems slow and a complete kit with all of the above will cost near enough €2k with all shipping included. Too rich and too slow for me, I will go with the older hardware, if a good value set comes up for sale. Expecting to pay maybe around the €400 mark

I've seen some of the phantom breaking videos and one was it going down a hill and it slowed down 3-4 mph as my i3 would do doing down a hill trying to maintain a set speed, if it sped up he probably wouldn't have cared.

I've seen a lot of phantom braking videos and I would expect a human to slow down in many of them but perhaps someone might be more aware of it than others.

Another way I might describe phantom braking is having the missus in the passenger seat trying to drive.......you're going to fast, there's a car ahead, don't over take, watch the cyclist, he's going to turn off etc etc. Tractor. the limit is xxx here, speed ramp, turn left here, go right etc etc which is funny considering she's the German and I'm the native, I know where I'm going love ffs, I was born here lol.

Personally I think Phantom braking is way less of an issue than having my missus beside me while I'm driving or trying to drive, guess which might be much less irritating ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I've seen some of the phantom breaking videos and one was it going down a hill and it slowed down 3-4 mph as my i3 would do doing down a hill trying to maintain a set speed, if it sped up he probably wouldn't have cared.

I've seen a lot of phantom braking videos and I would expect a human to slow down in many of them but perhaps someone might be more aware of it than others.

Another way I might describe phantom braking is having the missus in the passenger seat trying to drive.......you're going to fast, there's a car ahead, don't over take, watch the cyclist, he's going to turn off etc etc. Tractor. the limit is xxx here, speed ramp, turn left here, go right etc etc which is funny considering she's the German and I'm the native, I know where I'm going love ffs, I was born here lol.

Personally I think Phantom braking is way less of an issue than having my missus beside me while I'm driving or trying to drive, guess which might be much less irritating ?

I remember years ago listening to some statistician being interviewed on the radio who said there was a slight kink in the divorce rate curve in the UK that is attributed to the introduction of Sat Nav. Apparently the lack of husband and wife arguments over map reading in the car had an effect.

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    I remember years ago listening to some statistician being interviewed on the radio who said there was a slight kink in the divorce rate curve in the UK that is attributed to the introduction of Sat Nav. Apparently the lack of husband and wife arguments over map reading in the car had an effect.

Lol, I was always a great map reader, had to depend on it for 2 of my jobs, herself wasn't bad either but even today when we're going roads without the need for sat nav she always wants to go a different route to the one I go but perhaps if I get a BEV next time around I will probably take her Outlander and just let her do the driving for a change and I'll just let the seat back and chill, I couldn't care less what route she takes, parking spot she takes, turn she takes or speed she goes but it's a very very frustrating German way, her Sister and Dad are the same, they like to control everything and they always know best. :D

I feel better now after that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Personally I think Phantom braking is way less of an issue.....

If you were driving along at the speed limit, say 100km/h, nothing in front of you (truck approaching in the opposite direction, well within its lane etc.), bright day calm day, chilling listening to some 'tunes, & the car hammered on the brakes, for no apparent reason, jolting you suddenly, you'd consider it an issue :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

It doesn’t happen often to me but when it does, it’ll usually do 120/100 down to 80 in a very short space of time. I now keep my foot on the accelerator all the time so I can override it when it happens.

The most recent time was M50S under the plethora of bridges and aquaducts at the N3. It slowed down suddenly three times in the space of 500m. Luckily no one was behind me.

It’s cool though because now we have dynamic brake lights so I’ll light up like a Christmas tree when it happens. Typical dev solution: can’t fix the problem so we fix the symptom :)

It's a very serious issue. Have a look at a few videos on youtube, Mad_Lad. Pretty much every single owner of a Tesla with AP2 and newer will have experienced it. It seriously undermines the confidence in the whole AP setup in my view. Also the fact that it is so common an issue, it has been around for quite some time and it hasn't been addressed / fixed yet is worrying. That's a serious lack of progress in my book, in the area of FSD where Tesla regularly promises us massive improvements are just around the corner.

Driving in a tense state of concentration with your foot hovering over the accelerator pedal in case you have to take over from a phantom brake is the very opposite of what autonomous driving should bring us :(

• Advertisement

Hmm, making me rethink going tesla now.

Any decent videos of this happening ? do we trust them all though ?

My whole point of going tesla would be for Autopilot but I wouldn't be able to relax at all on a busy N7 a notorious accident prone road with People driving up everyones ass and plenty more looking at their phones.

VW traffic assist looks decent but only available on the top spec id.3 54 K, madness, apart from the traffic assist you don't get much extra. I saw a youtube video of it working in a passat.

Advertisement