Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hmm, making me rethink going tesla now.

It only applies to Teslas with autopilot manufactured from late 2017 (AP2 and upwards). All the earlier Model S with AP1 are fine, they have a solid, very well working autonomous level 2 driving assist system, without phantom braking. And of course all Teslas that don't have AP at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smck1983

I would go AP1 all the way. It is simple but does exactly as you ask on a busy road.
    I have been banned from using AP2 when wife and kids are in the car as it is downright dangerous slamming on brakes and swerving between lanes.
    Hmm, making me rethink going tesla now.

Any decent videos of this happening ? do we trust them all though ?

My whole point of going tesla would be for Autopilot but I wouldn't be able to relax at all on a busy N7 a notorious accident prone road with People driving up everyones ass and plenty more looking at their phones.

VW traffic assist looks decent but only available on the top spec id.3 54 K, madness, apart from the traffic assist you don't get much extra. I saw a youtube video of it working in a passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I've seen some of the phantom breaking videos and one was it going down a hill and it slowed down 3-4 mph as my i3 would do doing down a hill trying to maintain a set speed, if it sped up he probably wouldn't have cared.

That doens't sound like phantom braking but a cruise control issue, eg. there is one spot on a gentle uphill curve where, if cruise control or Autopilot is engaged, my car always slows down from the 100 km/h speed limit to about 95.

In my experience with phantom braking on my AP2 Model S, my car will usually slow down about 5 km/h for about a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Fingers crossed about to join this group. Have some questions which I would appreciate any help on either here or via PM.

1) Transport - I have a quote from Eirtrans but it's pretty steep. I'm ok with it if they are the best in town but does anyone else have experience using an alternative service?

2) Insurance - Aviva says they will only do third party fire and theft. There have been discussions on insurance for the S before. Does anyone know of providers that will provide comprehensive. Or do I take 3rd party with Aviva and get a crash and repair policy from a third party? Is that even possible in Ireland?

3) Charger - I have solar panels so thinking of getting a Zappi. Anything I need to know in terms of cables/adapters? Car has the standard Tesla+supercharger, Chademo and Type 2. I know the Zappi will probably never pay for itself but screw it! I'll get it because I want it. Any suggestions on installers welcome - but will troll through and post on the charger thread for that one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

garo wrote: »
    Fingers crossed about to join this group. Have some questions which I would appreciate any help on either here or via PM.

1) Transport - I have a quote from Eirtrans but it's pretty steep. I'm ok with it if they are the best in town but does anyone else have experience using an alternative service?

2) Insurance - Aviva says they will only do third party fire and theft. There have been discussions on insurance for the S before. Does anyone know of providers that will provide comprehensive. Or do I take 3rd party with Aviva and get a crash and repair policy from a third party? Is that even possible in Ireland?

3) Charger - I have solar panels so thinking of getting a Zappi. Anything I need to know in terms of cables/adapters? Car has the standard Tesla+supercharger, Chademo and Type 2. I know the Zappi will probably never pay for itself but screw it! I'll get it because I want it. Any suggestions on installers welcome - but will troll through and post on the charger thread for that one.

1. I paid €400 to get an i3 picked up in London and dropped to Dublin in January 2019.

2. I am with Allianz through JLT Brokers. I pay €283 for a MSP85. I also got the Covid cheque back from them this year so that headline figure is lower :)

3. Is the zappi tethered or non tethered? I actually just removed my bmw Charger this week to sell it (sold on FB Group) and I just have a commando socket installed in its place as the Tesla granny cable (UMC) is 32a so I still get 7kw charging. I have solar PV too so May look at a zappi in the future. I’ll
    Keep the funds from the charger sale in a separate vault in Revolut :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

You should be able to get comprehensive from 123.ie.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I had no choice but to use Eirtrans as it was height of pandemic and they were the only crowd that would pick up my S from a remote UK location.
    Else I'd recommend putting in "transporter" into DoneDeal and you'll get a few hits, phone around and see what they are charging.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

How much is Eirtrans?

Gumbo wrote: »
    1. I paid €400 to get an i3 picked up in London and dropped to Dublin in January 2019.
    Thanks do you mind PMing me the company? Current quote is 450+VAT.
    2. I am with Allianz through JLT Brokers. I pay €283 for a MSP85. I also got the Covid chair back from them this year so that headline figure is lower :)
    283! Is that comprehensive? That's insanely good. I have 10 years NCB and I pay more than that for 3rd party fire and theft on a 17 year old car.
    3. Is the zappi tethered or non tethered? I actually just removed my bmw Charger this week to sell it (sold on FB Group)
    I think you can get both tethered and untethered.

2. I am with Allianz through JLT Brokers. I pay €283 for a MSP85. I also got the Covid chair back from them this year so that headline figure is lower :)

:eek:

• Advertisement

What is a CoVid chair?

What is a CoVid chair?

That should be cheque. You know the insurance refunds during Covid. So I paid 283 in February. Then get 25 back in May/June for lack of use due to Covid :)

I got feck all back. Are JLT Brokers the crowd at jlt.ie? Now called Marsh. I assume you have comprehensive?

I got feck all back. Are JLT Brokers the crowd at jlt.ie? Now called Marsh. I assume you have comprehensive?

Yes, fully comp, business use, drive other cars fully come, 2 claims in 3 years or something then NCB protection. Really good policy and i get a professional group scheme discount then we have another car so get a further discount on that too.

Ah the group scheme surely reduces those premiums. Unfortunately that's not available to me.

Stupid question. When I buy a car in a private sale how does Tesla know about the change of ownership? How does the car stop responding to previous owner's app and start responding to mine? Do I have to do some pairing with the MCU when I get the car?

The onus is on the previous owner to de-register the car from their account, else they have control of your car via the App so get this done immediately.
    For me the previous owner did it via email and cc'd me on it.
    Then you need to contact Tesla with your Driving Licence and Vehicle Licencing Cert (once VRT'd here in Ireland) to prove the car is yours and they set you up and the car will pop up in your Tesla account.
    Until then you will not have access to the App

Stupid question. When I buy a car in a private sale how does Tesla know about the change of ownership? How does the car stop responding to previous owner's app and start responding to mine? Do I have to do some pairing with the MCU when I get the car?

The previous owner can log open their app in front of you and remove the car from their account.

You then send log book and ID through your Tesla account at home to get access.

Mine was done within an hour back in June.

2020.36.3.1 update reached my S there now, speed assist on local roads (likely no impact as I’m AP1) and Suspension now available to be selected in the Instrument Panel

slave1 wrote: »
    2020.36.3.1 update reached my S there now, speed assist on local roads (likely no impact as I’m AP1) and Suspension now available to be selected in the Instrument Panel

Just installed through the app so didn’t know what the updates were for my older car.

• Advertisement

So 123.ie refused cover while the car is on UK plates. Anyone else navigate this situation?

Change insurer. Seriously, 123 are a bunch of cowboys. Very cheap rates, but your cover is less than cheap. Didn't someone on this forum get penalised because they had a claim that was no fault of their own (flooding)?

My current insurer is Aviva. I called them first. They said they only cover Third Party + Theft for Tesla. I said that sounds funny because I know Tesla owners who have fully comp so he said he'll need to contact the underwriter. I have a full license for 20+ years and max NCB, no points. Called 123 while waiting on Aviva to get back.

My current insurer is Aviva. I called them first. They said they only cover Third Party + Theft for Tesla. I said that sounds funny because I know Tesla owners who have fully comp so he said he'll need to contact the underwriter. I have a full license for 20+ years and max NCB, no points. Called 123 while waiting on Aviva to get back.

Many companies won’t take new business on UK plates.
    You need to swap onto the UK plates with your own company and then when you have irl plates shop around to see if it’s worthwhile switching.

Many companies won’t take new business on UK plates.
    You need to swap onto the UK plates with your own company and then when you have irl plates shop around to see if it’s worthwhile switching.

Yes the problem is existing company says they will only give 3rd part fire and theft. I could accept the third party fire and theft and then get the car registered and look to switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭daddy_boy

https://www.evinsurance.ie/ they insured my MS from when i picked up in the UK until i had got the VRT sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

So 123.ie refused cover while the car is on UK plates. Anyone else navigate this situation?

Did you get the private sale 2016 model s garo?

Was looking at it and think you got in there before me

I got new business with Axa. They had no problem insuring me while bringing the car on UK plates over to Ireland and for up to 30 days still on the UK plates over here. I had to take out a new policy in my own name as we had not yet sold our old car (insured in my wife's name)

Did you get the private sale 2016 model s garo?

Was looking at it and think you got in there before me

Indeed. It's the S70. I was really torn between that and the 2014 white P85. Once car lands and I get the VRT done I will give a full report in this thread. For now, let's not jinx anything ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

unkel wrote: »
    Seriously, 123 are a bunch of cowboys.

That's not my experience of them & I've heard good things about them from a few acquaintances too.
    That said, policies vary so if one company won't insure an import on UK plates, shop around.

Advertisement