Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

garo wrote: »
    Indeed. It's the S70. I was really torn between that and the 2014 white P85. Once car lands and I get the VRT done I will give a full report in this thread. For now, let's not jinx anything ;)

Best of luck with it, i'll be hoping to pick your brain on it as it looks like i'll be following your route with a UK purchase.

Sold my 2016 mercedes c350e last week to get a model s but nothing here cheap enough, imported cars before but always through a mains dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Kramer wrote: »
    That's not my experience of them & I've heard good things about them from a few acquaintances too.
    That said, policies vary so if one company won't insure an import on UK plates, shop around.

Try a no fault claim. You will find you have lost your no claims bonus. Try insuring a car on foreign reg - they won't. Try temp changing over a car say for a day. They will charge you a considerable sum for that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Best of luck with it, i'll be hoping to pick your brain on it as it looks like i'll be following your route with a UK purchase.

Sold my 2016 mercedes c350e last week to get a model s but nothing here cheap enough, imported cars before but always through a mains dealer

You are welcome. Feel free to PM me. I would have preferred a "CPO" but nothing good came up for over a month and I saw a couple of nice deals so decided to pull the trigger. The EURGBP rate is so good at the moment it makes it totally worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Have you ever had a 123.ie policy?
    unkel wrote: »
    Try a no fault claim. You will find you have lost your no claims bonus.

I know someone who was hit by a third party. His bonus was fine, his policy didn't increase, he even transferred his policy afterwards to a more powerful & expensive car - no issue.
    Try insuring a car on foreign reg - they won't.

I have, they do.
    Try temp changing over a car say for a day. They will charge you a considerable sum for that :rolleyes:

I have, several times. They didn't charge me anything.

I think you're conflating 123.ie (RSA - a large, reputable company) with other, online/broker types, who yes, I agree, are cowboys.

123.ie, in my experience though, are not.

I know someone who was hit by a third party. His bonus was fine

Eh yeah, obviously :D

Now try if the car was stolen or flooded. NCB gone even though it was not your fault. And yes I had a 123.ie policy once. When I sold the car I canceled the policy and got a refund way less than was proportionate for the time left on it (I have done this with many other policies and always got a fair enough refund)

123.ie do not insure a Tesla Model S on foreign plates. This thread is about the Tesla Model S last time I looked, is it not?

• Advertisement

123.ie do not insure a Tesla Model S on foreign plates. This thread is about the Tesla Model S last time I looked, is it not?

Sorry, I didn't realise I could only reply if I had a Model S insured with 123.ie :P.
    Change insurer. Seriously, 123 are a bunch of cowboys.

So someone reads your post, assumes 123 are cowboys & pays more elsewhere, unnecessarily?

I'm only trying to help, share my experiences & offer my opinion.

My sincerest apologies :D.

As always, shop around, read the policy documents & balance cost with cover/exclusions/excess etc.

Now try if the car was stolen or flooded. NCB gone even though it was not your fault.

If I parked on the quays in Clonmel with a flood predicted, or parked up on Sherriff St. at 1am with the window open & keys in the ignition, would I not in some way be at fault?

It's not that simple ;).

I've seen a very nice Model S on the N24 between Limerick & Tipperary quite a bit recently - it's kind of grey/silver.
    Anyone here & if so, what colour is it?

If I parked on the quays in Clonmel with a flood predicted, or parked up on Sherriff St. at 1am with the window open & keys in the ignition, would I not in some way be at fault?

It's not that simple ;).

Eh yeah it is very simple. And if you leave your keys in the car no insurer will cover you if it is stolen :rolleyes:

But I guess we have an insurance forum for all this stuff.

Anyone who bought a cpo from the UK, is it OK to upload your Irish drivers licence when they request personal information?

Just don't want to throw any alerts that I'll be taking the car out of the UK, I put in parcel motel address for collection address, but assume I'll have to sue Irish address for billing information?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Anyone who bought a cpo from the UK, is it OK to upload your Irish drivers licence when they request personal information?

Just don't want to throw any alerts that I'll be taking the car out of the UK, I put in parcel motel address for collection address, but assume I'll have to sue Irish address for billing information?

You will have to be up front about exporting because you need the V5.

If not they will try to register it to your UK address.

is it ok to use parcel motel address for the registration, will the v5 be sent to it for example?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

is it ok to use parcel motel address for the registration, will the v5 be sent to it for example?

I wouldn’t use it to be honest.
    Unkel be the best to explain as he’s done it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭daddy_boy

daddy_boy wrote: »
    All,

A few tesla bits for sale if interested PM and i can email photos etc..

Tesla Model S/X Quick Connection Phone Dock Lightning/USB-C

https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-s_x-quick-connection-phone-dock

virtually brand new only fitted in car for 24hrs

€30

Tesla Silver Wall Connector 7.5 meter cable - 6 months old - €400

https://shop.tesla.com/en_ie/product/silver-wall-connector
    sold

Generic Moulded/Fitted Rubber Rear Boot Liner/Mat for Tesla MS - 2 Months old - €30 Sold

just the dock avaliable

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Dont worry. They have no issue with you taking it out of the country.
    When I boought mine last year (CPO) they suggested collection at manchester as the most convenient for people coming from ROI. They knew I needed the full v5 (and forgot it so sent it by fedex for me). There's no issue with you buying CPO cars in different locations.

Once you're not doing it for profit, they don't mind.

Great stuff, thanks Elm!!

:D:D:D

:D:D:D

you get your car???

He did :D

Indeed. Thanks to everyone on here for their advice and support particularly Unkel - our resident Tesla sherpa- and slave1.
    Very happy with car. My first reaction when I drove it was - it feels so effortless.

Came with free premium connectivity - does that work automatically in Ireland or do you need to ask Tesla to switch the country over?

Needs a valet though with a bit of detailing for some superficial marks that will buff out.

• Advertisement

Well wear!

Premium connectivity works automatically in Ireland. Nice bonus, saves you €10 per month and it's a must have for the Google maps with live traffic alone.

Congrats!!

I've seen the car in the ad, looks great, hope its as good as it looks!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Photos!!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Came with free premium connectivity - does that work automatically in Ireland or do you need to ask Tesla to switch the country over?

It will work automatically but when I brought mine into Sandyford for the first time, they asked if I wanted it ported to the Irish system for “reasons”. I think it cost €15 + VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

markpb wrote: »
    It will work automatically but when I brought mine into Sandyford for the first time, they asked if I wanted it ported to the Irish system for “reasons”. I think it cost €15 + VAT.

When I watch Youtube videos in my Model 3 using the cars cellular connection, the ads always come up in Dutch!!! So I'm assuming I have a Dutch sim card installed...

slave1 wrote: »
    Photos!!!

Needs a wash and some detailing first!

It is the black non-facelift 2016 S 70 that was posted here a couple of weeks ago. I spotted it on autotrader the previous evening. I have to say I didn't like pre-facelift look from photos but now that I have the car it doesn't look half bad.

Sunroof, free premium connectivity, free super charging and automatic tailgate. And of course AP1! MCU replaced in 2018 with an LTE/4G upgrade. Car came with a Chademo adapter that I don't know what to do with, a tesla UMC charging cable and a 7.5m Type 2 cable.

I feel like I made out like a bandit on the exchange rate. Car cost < 32k EUR landed i.e. including transport.

Needs a wash and some detailing first!

It is the black non-facelift 2016 S 70 that was posted here a couple of weeks ago. I spotted it on autotrader the previous evening. I have to say I didn't like pre-facelift look from photos but now that I have the car it doesn't look half bad.

Sunroof, free premium connectivity, free super charging and automatic tailgate. And of course AP1! MCU replaced in 2018 with an LTE/4G upgrade. I feel like I made out like a bandit on the exchange rate. Car cost < 32k EUR landed i.e. including transport.

Well wear!

How did you find the private sale ? was it not a big risk ? how did you send the money ?

Well wear!

How did you find the private sale ? was it not a big risk ? how did you send the money ?

Ah well I don't want to start a flame war. Of course there is a big risk and as I posted earlier in the thread I did my due diligence and took a level of risk I was happy with. Others may not be comfortable with that level of risk. This was the third private sale I looked at. The first two I walked away from because I wasn't totally totally comfortable. This was also a company car so that helped. Sent the money using Revolut premium. Transfer was instant on the day of the sale.

Car came with a Chademo adapter that I don't know what to do with

I would sell it on eBay, these are still quite popular in the UK and not everyone over there seems to have copped on that you can get your Tesla converted to CCS and very few people know that this now costs just €294 incl VAT. Sell your cable for GBP240 and the conversion would cost you very little net!

I would hurry up with this though, I can imagine CHAdeMO adapters will rapidly drop in value to a more appropriate GBP100-120

Older Tesla Model S can charge at 43kW on CHAdeMO and 120kW on CCS

• Advertisement

I
    Older Tesla Model S can charge at 43kW on CHAdeMO and 120kW on CCS

+ some lucky gits get 22 Kw 3 phase AC in their model S....:D

Does the model S still come with 22 Kw AC ?

Advertisement