Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

+ some lucky gits get 22 Kw 3 phase AC in their model S....:D

Does the model S still come with 22 Kw AC ?
    New model S comes with 11kW or 17.5kW AC

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Tis handy alright, several of my local Lidl have free 22kW AC charging Easygo charge points. Gives me most of my electricity. For free. And I rarely use the Tesla superchargers, which are also free :p

unkel wrote: »
    Tis handy alright, several of my local Lidl have free 22kW AC charging Easygo charge points. Gives me most of my electricity. For free. And I rarely use the Tesla superchargers, which are also free :p

And to think you saw AC as pointless ........ I knew one day I'd convince you! :D

Nah, I've always said that lower end tethered (50kW) CCS chargers would be better for places like supermarkets where you'd normally only stop for about 30-45 minutes. You'd get 25-35kWh

In my case I'd do my shop and usually hang about for a little while after, checking emails, make a few calls, browsing boards and what not to get at least what I feel is the minimum I could be bothered getting my cable out for, which is 20kWh. If my car had only a 11kW AC charger or less (as about 95% of EVs do), I would not be bothered with this at all.

Nah, I've always said that lower end tethered (50kW) CCS chargers would be better for places like supermarkets where you'd normally only stop for about 30-45 minutes. You'd get 25-35kWh

In my case I'd do my shop and usually hang about for a little while after, checking emails, make a few calls, browsing boards and what not to get at least what I feel is the minimum I could be bothered getting my cable out for, which is 20kWh. Obviously if my car had only 11kW or less AC charging (as about 95% of EVs do), I would not be bothered with this at all.

The problem is that DC costs more, 20 Kw DC chargers exist which would be cheaper than 50 Kw. I don't know why the ESB haven't coped on to this yet. Probably won't, ac is cheap to install + they get to boast about having xxx charge points installed. + 22 Kw ac points mean less strain on the local grid as most cars can't yet charge past 7 Kw, we're only seeing 11 Kw become standard in 2020 which still won't put much of a strain on the grid or local supply.

• Advertisement

Too much strain on the local grid simply means the grid is not strong enough. That's the problem, not the increasing number of electric cars. Whoever is responsible for the grid should get off their lazy arse and start upgrading it.

But hey, this is the Tesla Model S thread, let's not get too far off topic :p

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smck1983

Do they still do 11kW? Thought it was only 17.5?
    ELM327 wrote: »
    New model S comes with 11kW or 17.5kW AC

that may have been phased out actually, around or just before the Raven change.

A quick google shows all new Model S now have 17kW AC charging as standard. Bit of a downgrade compared to the early cars with 23kW :p

It's 17.5kW which actually is nearly 18kW with higher grid voltage. There was a noticeable difference in speed charging my S compared to the loaner S i had that had 17.5kW.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I actually used Lidl 22kw charger today.
    Weekly shop and a 30% top up as I was in Lidl and adjoining bakery for just over an hour. Very handy indeed :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yep, it's quite easy to route your out and abouts around free charging.
    Heading off for a few days and narrowed down two places close enough to each other, chose the one with the Tesla Destination Charger at the end of the day, that will be free juice to get there via Supercharger and free juice when out and about visiting places with overnight charge, it's a 22 so only need a few hours actually so I'll just taper the amps down

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I did a 665km drive over 2 days back in August. Left the house at 100%, and arrived back with around 40%

Used all the following chargers for free (Supercharger was using free referral km's)
    Supercharger Birdhill
    Tesla Destination Charger - Armada Hotel Spanish Point
    Tesla Destination Charger - Radisson Spa Limerick
    Supercharger Birdhill (arrived at 91% as we needed a coffee, so took about 6-7% from it because why not)
    Kilcullen Hyperspeed 150kW

Then in the following days, used 2 more Tesla Destination chargers (Kelly's resort in Rosslare & Banbridge outlets in the North), which meant we didn't need any ecars (paid for) charging to complete the trips..

Tesla destination chargers are great, and more locations should be encouraged to install them (Kelly's Resort have 7 of them (4 of which are Tesla only))

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

garo wrote: »
    :D:D:D

Hi garo,

Tried to send you a pm but your inbox is full,

Could you have a look please

Just have a quick question for you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I did a 665km drive over 2 days back in August. Left the house at 100%, and arrived back with around 40%

Used all the following chargers for free (Supercharger was using free referral km's)
    Supercharger Birdhill
    Tesla Destination Charger - Armada Hotel Spanish Point
    Tesla Destination Charger - Radisson Spa Limerick
    Supercharger Birdhill (arrived at 91% as we needed a coffee, so took about 6-7% from it because why not)
    Kilcullen Hyperspeed 150kW

Then in the following days, used 2 more Tesla Destination chargers (Kelly's resort in Rosslare & Banbridge outlets in the North), which meant we didn't need any ecars (paid for) charging to complete the trips..

Tesla destination chargers are great, and more locations should be encouraged to install them (Kelly's Resort have 7 of them (4 of which are Tesla only))

I'll be Birdhill and Radisson Spa Limerick, that should be plenty for me

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    I'll be Birdhill and Radisson Spa Limerick, that should be plenty for me

Bear in mind at the Radisson there's only 1 charger, but at least it's Tesla only

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's 17.5kW which actually is nearly 18kW with higher grid voltage.

Pretty sure it's 24A 3 phase. So with a higher grid voltage of 235-240V:

24A: 16.9-17.3kW
    32A: 22.6-23.0kW

Or in other words 17kW on the new cars and 23kW on the old cars with optional dual charger. A bit lower if the local grid voltage is exceptionally low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

So what charge map apps do people use here to figure out charger locations.
    I am out of luck with Lidl as the Lidl’s near me don’t have AC chargers.

Btw I took out the Tesla UMC granny cable attachment today while the sun was shining. Limited charge to 5A and took in about a kWh before clouds rolled in. It is too much of a faff but I am getting the Zappi Friday!

slave1 wrote: »
    Yep, it's quite easy to route your out and abouts around free charging.
    Heading off for a few days and narrowed down two places close enough to each other, chose the one with the Tesla Destination Charger at the end of the day, that will be free juice to get there via Supercharger and free juice when out and about visiting places with overnight charge, it's a 22 so only need a few hours actually so I'll just taper the amps down

It’s like rewarding the places that out in charging infrastructure.
    I’ll go to Lidl over Aldi as they are near by.

So what charge map apps do people use here to figure out charger locations.
    I am out of luck with Lidl as the Lidl’s near me don’t have AC chargers.

Btw I took out the Tesla UMC granny cable attachment today while the sun was shining. Limited charge to 5A and took in about a kWh before clouds rolled in. It is too much of a faff but I am getting the Zappi Friday!

Daily I use nothing.
    But if I’m planning a trip I’ll use eCars easygo and zap map to check.
    Especially if going somewhere new.

If I don’t need a charge to get there and back, I don’t check. If there’s one on arrival, it’s a bonus, like getting a green one up mushroom in super Mario :)

• Advertisement

Thanks. ECars easygo and zap map. Why all three?

PlugShare is a great app for scouting out locations, as there are usually photos for each charger, and recent ‘check in’s tell you how reliable the charger is/has been up to the time of the check in.

Thanks. ECars easygo and zap map. Why all three?
    unnecessary duplication.
    I use plugshare.

Am organising collection of the car next week if possible, it's through a transport company.

What should be handed over besides the car, I assume there's a normal type 2 charging cable, 2 key fobs and a puncture repair kit.

Is there anything else?

Car comes with granny cable as standard as well. And make sure they collect the full V5. And you could try get Tesla to throw in a free CCS conversion. They did for ELM327 last year, but they didn't for me this year (I was pushing my luck big time as it was :p)

Car comes with granny cable as standard as well. And make sure they collect the full V5. And you could try get Tesla to throw in a free CCS conversion. They did for ELM327 last year, but they didn't for me this year (I was pushing my luck big time as it was :p)

Thanks I'll ask the question but because I'm not going to be able to pick it up personally, I won't hold my breath with them.

I'm trying to transfer from my revolut to their bank account but there's no option to add a reference so that I can include my details

Am organising collection of the car next week if possible, it's through a transport company.

What should be handed over besides the car, I assume there's a normal type 2 charging cable, 2 key fobs and a puncture repair kit.

Is there anything else?
    When collecting mine they forgot the type2 cable and the full V5.
    Make sure you get both!

So just called Sandyford on the phone and the lady quoted me 500 for the CCS conversion. I don't have the car on my app yet - still need to do the VRT. I presume it will show up as 299 then?

The question of course is do I actually need a CCS conversion? It would be nice to have a fast DC option as my car does not have dual chargers.

I don't need it, 99.99% of my charging is done at home or at 22kW AC chargers (free). Or at Tesla superchargers (also free), but I got it done anyway for a number of reasons:

1. ridiculously cheap. €243 + VAT (€294 incl. VAT) - no doubt that's a job done below cost price. Who knows this might go back up in price
    2. just in case of emergency I can quickly charge up at the ESB 50kW DC charger around the corner from me
    3. all new supercharger V3 hubs will be CCS only
    4. quite likely I will take the car on continental European / UK trips and having the option to charge on any CCS charger is helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Advertisement