Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

garo wrote: »
    Sorry both. You are correct. I am drawing 7kW. Happy days. Not sure why the car was showing 16A during the day. Probably because in Eco mode I was looking at the max and it was showing16A.

So that’s one thing sorted now.
    Next to check if you have dual chargers. You can only do that at a 22kw charger with a 3 phase cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Gumbo wrote: »
    So that’s one thing sorted now.
    Next to check if you have dual chargers. You can only do that at a 22kw charger with a 3 phase cable.

Or at a triple head on the AC 43kW with its own tethered cable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Lol. Pretty sure mine doesn’t. I had a chance to buy one that did but passed on it. I did discover that my local Lidl has a 22kW charger (thanks PlugShare) so I need to go shopping:)

Got a cancellation slot for VRT inspection. So chassis VIN is under the plastic trim on driver door sill? How do I take the damn thing off without breaking it? Could also be frunk under plastic trim right?
    I have the documents on the list. Anything else to be aware of?

Yep frunk under the plastic trim. Easy to lift it off, no tools needed.

• Advertisement

Got a cancellation slot for VRT inspection. So chassis VIN is under the plastic trim on driver door sill? How do I take the damn thing off without breaking it? Could also be frunk under plastic trim right?
    I have the documents on the list. Anything else to be aware of?

Seemly late 2014 it changed from the frunk to under the drivers door trim. My car is July 2014 and it sim the frunk.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

When I VRT’d mine yer man wanted to see the one from under drivers door trip, it snaps off easy enough, you may break a connector but no biggie, as it turns out it started bucketing rain so I gave him the VIN from the 17” screen and he was happy with that.
    They may give you a VRT on the day or likely via Revenue, pay it and appeal it straight away.
    When you get your VRT bill drop me a PM and I’ll take you through my appeal, I may need a favour in return as looking at solar panels in the near future.....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Thanks all will take a look now.

Just because I like to live dangerously I pressed yes on a software update two hours before I need to drive to the VRT appointment.:eek:

Slave1 thanks will PM you and feel free to reach out for Solar PV advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

When I VRT'd my vehicle, not a Tesla, they insisted on checking the vin stamped into the frame underneath.
    I was expecting this and had cleaned the frame rail in advance.

The seller gave me the full V5C. Do I detach the permanent export bit and send it on or give that to VRT people as well?

I haven't filled out anything in the V5C yet.

• Advertisement

The seller gave me the full V5C. Do I detach the permanent export bit and send it on or give that to VRT people as well?

Just leave it as is or you can detach it and send that portion back to the DVLA yourself. Makes no difference I believe.

You need to full document for the VRT people.

Its an absolute nightmare if you don't have it for them.

A lot of info on the Importing from UK thread.

A lot of info on the Importing from UK thread

Thanks yeah I read that whole thread. I have the full document. My question was whether to fill it before taking it to VRT. I didn’t. They just tore that bit off and gave it to me. Now I can fill it out and send the export but to DVLA UK.

Now onto how to get the driver door sill trim back in place.

Pkiernan wrote: »

A lot of info on the Importing from UK thread.

True but you don’t need the detachable export portion.

Now onto how to get the driver door sill trim back in place.

This is a bloody nightmare! Spent half an hour struggling with it but still not right.

Anyway got told they couldn’t value the car - the purchase price was sub-35k. I was told I should get a text within 10 days but could be longer as they are working from home. Fortunately I was up last night and snagged an appointment instead of waiting for the original 8th October.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭daddy_boy

Hi, looking for some advice , have a MS 2016 , plugged in last night (late) to one of the new ESB/Tesco chargers and all i got was 2KW, I was the only one there, eventually got to speak to ESB and they said everything was fine there end. so i gave up after 15 mins and drove to coynes cross. no problem. Any thoughts why i wasn't able to pull 22KW

daddy_boy wrote: »
    Hi, looking for some advice , have a MS 2016 , plugged in last night (late) to one of the new ESB/Tesco chargers and all i got was 2KW, I was the only one there, eventually got to speak to ESB and they said everything was fine there end. so i gave up after 15 mins and drove to coynes cross. no problem. Any thoughts why i wasn't able to pull 22KW

Faulty unit.
    Charge setting within the car.
    Cable used, did you get 22kw using the same cable at the next unit?

Faulty unit. unit?

- ESB or Car ?
    Charge setting within the car.

- Did not change any settings in car
    Cable used, did you get 22kw using the same cable at the next unit?

- It was a tethered connection

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Which one? I didnt think the Tesco ones were a tethered connection.

The only tethered ESB connections is the 43kW on the triple head fast chargers.

• Advertisement

- ESB or Car ?

- Did not change any settings in car

I thought the Tesco 22kw units were untethered?

I'd say you were at one of the charge points that the ESB, in their infinite wisdom, recently "upgraded" from 22kW AC to 2kW AC :rolleyes:

Yes, that was not a typo. These actually give 2kW AC, exactly what your car was telling you that you were getting. That's less than a granny cable :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Is your car converted to CCS or do you have a CHAdeMO adapter? In that case you could have charged at 44kW DC on either of those connections. Provided you were the only car at the charger and both of these were avaible (only one can be used at a time)

unkel wrote: »
    I'd say you were at one of the charge points that the ESB, in their infinite wisdom, recently "upgraded" from 22kW AC to 2kW AC :rolleyes:

Yes, that was not a typo. These actually give 2kW AC, exactly what your car was telling you that you were getting. That's less than a granny cable :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Is your car converted to CCS or do you have a CHAdeMO adapter? In that case you could have charged at 44kW DC on either of those connections. Provided you were the only car at the charger and both of these were avaible (only one can be used at a time)

They are untethered too tho, and doesn't the model s have 3 phase charger? So would get 6 kw.

In other news, my car was only charging at 20kW AC today. At first I thought the grid voltage locally must be super low, but that wasn't the case. Then I spotted that the car was only giving me 30A and I couldn't turn this up to the normal 32A maximum. A quick google showed me that other people have reported this too, it might have been that the last time I AC charged (there?) the system got a bit too warm for the car's liking. I did have the loud fan come on a few times recently after AC charging alright.

Anyone else in here experience something like this?

graememk wrote: »
    They are untethered too tho

I've never seen one, but surely at least the CCS and CHAdeMO connectors are tethered on them?
    graememk wrote: »
    doesn't the model s have 3 phase charger? So would get 6 kw.

Good point. All Teslas have 3 phase charging alright. The mystery remains unsolved so :D

I've never seen one, but surely at least the CCS and CHAdeMO connectors are tethered on them?

I've only seen photos but yeah it's a type 2 socket with tethered leads for DC,

And none of them are at Tesco

In other news, my car was only charging at 20kW AC today. At first I thought the grid voltage locally must be super low, but that wasn't the case. Then I spotted that the car was only giving me 30A and I couldn't turn this up to the normal 32A maximum. A quick google showed me that other people have reported this too, it might have been that the last time I AC charged (there?) the system got a bit too warm for the car's liking. I did have the loud fan come on a few times recently after AC charging alright.

Not exactly, but a month or so back I was in Lidl 22kw charger and it dropped to 20kw when a Range Rover PHEV plugged in beside me.

May be normal, just seen the numbers matched your issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Never had the fan come on from AC charging, even when Super Charging it does not come on unless I’ve driven it a good bit immediately prior to charging.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Not exactly, but a month or so back I was in Lidl 22kw charger and it dropped to 20kw when a Range Rover PHEV plugged in beside me.

May be normal, just seen the numbers matched your issue.

There was a Golf already charging beside me alright!

I don't think any other time I charged on a Lidl easygo any other car was plugged in. Probably mystery solved on this :)

• Advertisement

Sorry should have been clearer,

Tesco was a 22kw type 2 untethered, so used my own cable and coynes cross was a 3 headed tethered 43 kw "fast" charger, and i topped up with the tethered type 2.

The car has recently had the ccs conversion done, and this was the first time i have charged on the road not using SuC, since i have had the conversion done, as i normally try and charge at home.

I did notice that when i unplugged my cable from the car that the handle was warm - not hot ( at esb 22kw), but i thought that was normally. I will try and make a detour in the next few days and try another new 22KW ESB charger and see if i get the same, I think it is going to be a matter of elimination. i will keep you posted.

Advertisement