Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Couldn't possibly post this in the bargain thread but what a hoot!

https://tesla-info.com/car/GB-c8886784cc18
    This particular model being one of the first with No Pano Roof and no Autopilot is destined to be a future classic

Full CPO to Jan 22 or 6.5k miles so that eases the pain a bit.

Pity it's not the P85D at that price.

So 32,870 Euro's. Any VRT on that ? not bad though for a big car with 5.6 or 5.7 0-100 Km/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Any Model S sub GBP30k with a bit of CPO warranty left is a bit of a bargain still in my book.

Pity it's not the P85D at that price.

LOL, you'll have to wait another few years for that! Unless you are happy to buy one without warranty maybe.

Cheapest P85D on autotrader is currently GBP47k

Also the D is a bit faster than the RWD P, but much less of a drivers car. Which you seem to have started to appreciate with your i3. I'd test drive both before I bought either, if it is a Performance Tesla you are after!

Fair enough. But if you are doing any mileage at all you will chew through the 6500 miles way before Jan 2022. You better hope the MCU fails before then. It also has Smart Air sus, tech pack and premium connectivity so maybe not as bad as I originally thought.

• Advertisement

Premium connectivity is only worth €120 per year. Not really material on a €30,000 car that will depreciate by thousands every year

But yeah, air suspension on Irish roads is superb, particularly if you drive like a maniac like me and refuse to slow down for rampaí :pac:

unkel wrote: »
    LOL, you'll have to wait another few years for that! Unless you are happy to buy one without warranty maybe.

Cheapest P85D on autotrader is currently GBP47k

Also the D is a bit faster than the RWD P, but much less of a drivers car. Which you seem to have started to appreciate with your i3. I'd test drive both before I bought either, if it is a Performance Tesla you are after!

Why is the higher performance D much less of a drivers car ?

Not sure I'd pay 47K for a higher mileage MS when I could get a new M3 for that.
    garo wrote: »
    Fair enough. But if you are doing any milaage at all you will chew through the 6500 miles way before Jan 2022. You better hope the MCU fails before then. It also has Smart Air sus, tech pack and premium connectivity so maybe not as bad as I originally thought.

This is the thing, I'm driving 35K+ a year and warranty is nice to have, already scares me being 6 months out of warranty on the i3. :eek:

AWD. Great for grip, not for fun. A bit soul less. Unless of course you have control over it like in the Model 3 P where you can set it to 100% RWD or 0% or anything in between :D
    Not sure I'd pay 47K for a higher mileage MS when I could get a new M3 for that.

M3 performance is almost €65k in white before any options

And you can buy a Model S performance far cheaper than GBP47k, just not too many coming up, you need a bit of patience. But a Model S Performance from Tesla with a long CPO warranty, for reasonable money, that is asking a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Premium connectivity is only worth €120 per year. Not really material on a €30,000 car that will depreciate by thousands every year

But yeah, air suspension on Irish roads is superb, particularly if you drive like a maniac like me and refuse to slow down for rampaí :pac:
    I wouldnt pay it on my car, not worth it. My own Wifi (unlimited with go mo for 9.99/mo) will do.

I'd want youtube, netflix and MCU2 to pay for the connectivity!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

691bhp P85D at 47k can’t be compared to a base model 3 RWD with a third of the power.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    I wouldnt pay it on my car, not worth it. My own Wifi (unlimited with go mo for 9.99/mo) will do.

True enough. That's what I used in Ioniq as it did not have a built in internet connection. I just let it use wifi connected to the access point on my phone.
    Gumbo wrote: »
    691bhp P85D at 47k can’t be compared to a base model 3 RWD with a third of the power.

Only on paper Gumbo. It's a theoretical power of the motors, but the car delivers far less. The P85D is a touch faster than our cars, not much. Of course with ludicrous enabled (optional extra) it is well faster in a sprint.

True enough. That's what I used in Ioniq as it did not have a built in internet connection. I just let it use wifi connected to the access point on my phone.

Only on paper Gumbo. It's a theoretical power of the motors, but the car delivers far less. The P85D is a touch faster than our cars, not much. Of course with ludicrous enabled (optional extra) it is well faster in a sprint.

Yeah that’s fair enough alright.
    I’ve a good video saved that shows the difference between the p85d and our p85.
    I’ll get it out now. Skip to 2.24.

And you can buy a Model S performance far cheaper than GBP47k, just not too many coming up, you need a bit of patience. But a Model S Performance from Tesla with a long CPO warranty, for reasonable money, that is asking a lot.

There was the white 2014 fully loaded P85 with 82k miles for 32k GBP not so long ago froma dealer that I posted here. Here: https://www.derbyprestigecars.co.uk/used-cars/tesla-model-s-e-p85d-515kw-cvt-4x4-5dr-derby-202008313138590

No CPO at that price obviously but from a dealer.

A lot less power but a lot less weight and just 2 seconds in the difference. Though 2.8 with ludicrous lol.

3.3 seconds 0-60 Mph P85D vs 5.5 Model 3.

M3 new car, newer AP hardware etc, chances of much better improvements with updates.

M3 = Warranty for much longer.

Only thing really is whether I think RWD vs 4WD matters a lot ? to be honest the MS is such a tank I doubt I'd be driving it like the i3 on back roads in fairness.

+ m3 SR+ range is higher isn't it ? charge faster too.

I would like the 3.3 (2.8 with Ludicrous) second 0-60 times though to show off lol.

It's a bit like comparing a second hand BMW 760iL to a new BMW 323i

The latter is almost as fast and a better drivers car and costs only a bit more :pac:

For me as our only family car I need the practicality of a hatchback, so the Model 3 is out. I can see myself in a Performance Model Y down the road alright, but it will never have the refinement, the luxury, the space, the road presence or the brutal untamed power of the my current car. Model S is the daddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's a bit like comparing a second hand BMW 760iL to a new BMW 323i

The latter is almost as fast and a better drivers car and costs only a bit more :pac:

For me as our only family car I need the practicality of a hatchback, so the Model 3 is out. I can see myself in a Performance Model Y down the road alright, but it will never have the refinement, the luxury, the space, the road presence or the brutal untamed power of the my current car. Model S is the daddy.
    Yes but there's no comparison between those two bimmers. And very little population crossover of buyers between the two either.

You'll have people like me (and you I presume) who'd be interested in a second hand 760 v12, and other people who are interested in the smallest engined new 3 series to keep up with the neighbors

I have to weigh up the pros and cons.

M3 warranty

M3 newer tech, AP

M3 probably better handling.

M3 more range

M3 faster charging.

I think 5.5 seconds 0-60 would feel pretty fast for me coming from the i3 :D

M3 big enough for me, can't see herself even considering changing the Outlander for another 10 years or until it's costing her money to keep on the road, or, she's forced to. It's 5 years old now and already cost her 2400 for new ECU!

MS larger

MS quicker

Kind of more pros for the 3 for me really, potential for much better AP with software updates v V1 AP.

Or just keep the i3 lol.

Yeah your i3 is pretty slow as it has to drag that explosion machine from the 19th century with it everywhere it goes :p

Looks like Gumbo was right. I'm at the same charger as a few days ago, now nobody charging beside me and I'm getting the usual 32A (22-23kW) again

A lot less power but a lot less weight and just 2 seconds in the difference. Though 2.8 with ludicrous lol.

3.3 seconds 0-60 Mph P85D vs 5.5 Model 3.

M3 new car, newer AP hardware etc, chances of much better improvements with updates.

M3 = Warranty for much longer.

Only thing really is whether I think RWD vs 4WD matters a lot ? to be honest the MS is such a tank I doubt I'd be driving it like the i3 on back roads in fairness.

+ m3 SR+ range is higher isn't it ? charge faster too.

I would like the 3.3 (2.8 with Ludicrous) second 0-60 times though to show off lol.

The difference is, I’ve driven all the M3’s at this stage. The non P just doesn’t do it for me. You need to take one for a test drive to understand.

If it’s a new car you need and warranty etc then there’s no debating that fact, M3 is the way to go.

I had the M3 SR+ for 4 days from sandyford while my MS was getting warranty work through a small independent dealer. It’s a nice place to be in fairness and feels tighter than my older MS.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

Obviously subjective ...but for me the M3 is way too ugly; the S isn't a stunner - but in the right colour/wheel combo can look very well and has aged extremely well considering the basic design is pushing what 7 years?!

• Advertisement

10 years! Unveiled in 2010 and the first ones were released in 2012

Yeah your i3 is pretty slow as it has to drag that explosion machine from the 19th century with it everywhere it goes :p

That 19th century box of bolts has proved its worth in this part of the 21st century with poor charging infrastructure. ;) I can't tell you how good the Rex has been to have, it was well worth it and the best decision at the time.

The difference is, I’ve driven all the M3’s at this stage. The non P just doesn’t do it for me. You need to take one for a test drive to understand.

If it’s a new car you need and warranty etc then there’s no debating that fact, M3 is the way to go.

I had the M3 SR+ for 4 days from sandyford while my MS was getting warranty work through a small independent dealer. It’s a nice place to be in fairness and feels tighter than my older MS.

Yes of course, I would be expecting the performance to be mind blowing in the M3 Performance but in reality the M3 SR+ will be quite fast coming from the i3.

Warranty is good to have but I haven't completely ruled out the MS P85D because I'll be driving 35-40K Kms a year so depreciation will be high so that's something to factor into any potential repair bills for the model S.

I think the Model 3 has 8 years 160K Kms warranty ? that would be 4 years and a bit driving for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I think the Model 3 has 8 years 160K Kms warranty ? that would be 4 years and a bit driving for me.

4 years or 80,000 km, whichever comes first
    Battery & Drive Unit - 8 years or 192,000 km, whichever comes first

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Model S and Solar Panel charging

What is the lowest output that a 2015 Model S will take off Solar Panels e.g. 1.4kW and do I need to adjust anything in the car or will it just kick in automatically...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

5A

You can adjust that in the car on the charging screen. If you don't do this, the charger in your car will take the max it can get (which is usually 32A, or 7.4kW on a single phase connection)

The above 5A setting will limit the charger in your car to only take 1.2kW (5A * 240V = 1.2kW)

Sunny day over with you and you have a fresh PV install there, slave1? :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Thanks, as a two EV household I think it's a natural step as it would be extremely handy to be charging one of the cars during the day, this will allow the other EV to be charged at night rate, thereby allowing two EVs to be charged across 24hours (assuming decent sun etc).
    I'm in the infancy of Solar Panel thoughts, I know there's a Renewable Forum but was thinking a specific thread here to match Solar Panels for two EV household as I think as we move to two EV households this is an inevitable next step (i.e. economical charging of both cars daily)...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Be handy if me missus had an EV and got rid of the Outlander, could get a big solar array and while she's working from home could have one car charging while I drive the other to work lol. :D

slave1 wrote: »
    I'm in the infancy of Solar Panel thoughts, I know there's a Renewable Forum but was thinking a specific thread here to match Solar Panels for two EV household as I think as we move to two EV households this is an inevitable next step (i.e. economical charging of both cars daily)...

I think it is well covered in that forum. But anyway, if you plan to put a material charge into an EV you will need a fairly big PV array. The bigger the better really. And quite likely any access you produce will get you paid a feed in tariff sometime in the future, which will be worth an expected 5c or so per kWh, which is nearly as good as putting it into your EV (worth about 8c per kWh)

Although it gives you a warm feeling inside of course that you can charge your car on the free and totally renewable, zero emissions power of the sun :)

My car is not at home right now, but I am cryptocurrency mining 100% on the sun, while there is still enough left over so that it is charging my home attached power wall at the moment, which will power my house later on when the sun goes down.

• Advertisement

I am currently charging at 1.2kW so can confirm what Unkel said. And Zappi is smart so if your excess is 1.5 it will put 1.5 into the car. Very happy with the setup. It gives those warm and fuzzy feels Unkel talks about. And even at 8c I see the extra cost of the Zappi vs an ordinary charger (though not commando) being recovered over 4-5 summers. The Zappi installed cost me 1200. The cheapest install (plus RCBO/conduit/isolator) I found was 450.

Advertisement