Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

garo wrote: »
    https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/4903701/
    Ah what the hell. No they are different. You have the mother board then you have the Tegra board that has the eMMC and then you have the SIM board.

So I could just have an upgraded SIM card :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

garo wrote: »

That is excellent news for Tesla Model S owners with out of warranty cars. I've read the last few pages of that link and if I understand it right, Tesla are now just replacing the eMMC daughterboard (and not replace the whole MCU1), which is a job costing hundreds, not thousands.

unkel wrote: »
    That is excellent news for Tesla Model S owners with out of warranty cars. If I understand it right, Tesla are now just replacing the eMMC daughterboard (and not replace the whole MCU1), which is a job costing hundreds, not thousands.

I believe so too.
    A guy on the FB group is getting it done in Sandyford as we speak. €383 IIRC.
    But, his died completely so his car was bricked. And it’s there waiting on the parts seemly.

So the trick seems to be keep a good eye on it and change early if you notice any signs.

Gumbo wrote: »
    I believe so too.
    A guy on the FB group is getting it done in Sandyford as we speak. €383 IIRC.
    But, his died completely so his car was bricked. And it’s there waiting on the parts seemly.

Ha, he must be the one guy ahead of me in the queue waiting for the part (Tegra daughterboard) that Tesla mentioned to me yesterday!

Asked in above TMC thread linked by garo. Might as well ask here:

My May 2014 P85 is getting the Tegra daughterboard replaced free of charge under warranty (CPO car)

How much does / should Tesla charge if I requested them to upgrade 3G to LTE while they are doing that job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Yes good news indeed. I think the LTE upgrade is around 500. The Tegra replacement s 380 as mentioned above. Unkel why don't you break your 3G radio and get it upgraded to LTE under warranty :P

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

my model s arrived this morning, it's very dirty inside and out so will give it a clean later.

Have a few newbie questions, apologies if they've been asked before....

I got the car from Tesla UK, so when i downloaded the app, it seems like the car is assigned to it, it says waking up and then connection error so I cant do anything on the app.

There also isn't any 3g/4g connectivity coming through in the car, I am not home so haven't connected to WIFI yet to check if there's any updates etc.
    Should the car automatically connect for mobile connectivity and data, do i need to do something first?

Finally for now, my car came with full self drive capability, it's the reason i went over budget getting it to be honest, but i cant see anywhere in the autopilot section where it mentions full self driving, it only says enhanced autopilot.
    Should it mention it somewhere or is there somewhere i can check to confirm it is enabled?

I want to get the app up and running when i have connectivity so i can push for the upgrade from hw2 to hw3.

sorry for the multiple questions!!

my model s arrived this morning, it's very dirty inside and out so will give it a clean later.

Have a few newbie questions, apologies if they've been asked before....

I got the car from Tesla UK, so when i downloaded the app, it seems like the car is assigned to it, it says waking up and then connection error so I cant do anything on the app.

There also isn't any 3g/4g connectivity coming through in the car, I am not home so haven't connected to WIFI yet to check if there's any updates etc.
    Should the car automatically connect for mobile connectivity and data, do i need to do something first?

Finally for now, my car came with full self drive capability, it's the reason i went over budget getting it to be honest, but i cant see anywhere in the autopilot section where it mentions full self driving, it only says enhanced autopilot.
    Should it mention it somewhere or is there somewhere i can check to confirm it is enabled?

I want to get the app up and running when i have connectivity so i can push for the upgrade from hw2 to hw3.

sorry for the multiple questions!!

You have to email Tesla Ireland with the vin and your log book. You may have to wait until you VRT it. Then you get access. I got it same day.

Do the following on the website ;
    How can I add a car to my Tesla Account?
    To add a car, submit a request and all required documents to Tesla via your Tesla Account. Once your request is processed, Tesla will contact you to either confirm the addition or request more information. Please note, the verification process may take up to 72 hours.

To submit a request, follow these steps:

Select ‘Account’, then click ‘Add a car to your account’
    Follow the prompts and submit required documentation
    Submit your request

Connectivity may come back then but buying a CPO from Tesla, it’s well known you loose the free SuC and premium connectivity as far as I know.

Set up your car with your home wifi - note you may need to make your 2.4GHz channel g+n mixed.

If not at home, just hotspot to your phone and see if that improves matters.

You can also just upload the documents to your Tesla account online but I think since you got it CPO you may not have to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You dont need vin and log book.
    If you buy direct from Tesla they would have configured the app before you left the SC

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    You dont need vin and log book.
    If you buy direct from Tesla they would have configured the app before you left the SC

Normally I would have said the same but the OP said he got it delivered so I assumed he wasn’t in the SC.

But deffo agree, normally when buying from Tesla they set you up on the app there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

The car should connect via its own internet connection automatically. Mine did when I brought it across. There might be a problem that you'll need Tesla to look into.

If the car can't connect to the internet, the app won't be able to connect to it. Getting the car on wifi will help temporarily but isn't ideal. You shouldn't need to send your docs to Tesla since you bought the car from them. If the car shows up in the app, it's already added to your account.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd do a soft reset to the car, hold both scroll wheels on the steering wheel for a few seconds and the main MCU will restart, I'd also restart the HUD display (the display in front of the wheel) by holding the two button above the scroll wheels in the same fashion...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Thanks all, I'll try soft resets and if that doesn't work, will ring tesla.

I got from tesla UK but couldn't go over so it was collected by a car transport company on my behalf.

I think there is a model s assigned in the app but because I've no connectivity in the car I can't confirm.

My account is with tesla UK and as a result has a UK address, I needed one to get the v5 form sent out, they wouldn't post to Ireland.
    I'll need to get the account changed over to Ireland also.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's odd, they posted my V5 via courier to my address in Meath.

Thanks all, I'll try soft resets and if that doesn't work, will ring tesla.

I got from tesla UK but couldn't go over so it was collected by a car transport company on my behalf.

I think there is a model s assigned in the app but because I've no connectivity in the car I can't confirm.

My account is with tesla UK and as a result has a UK address, I needed one to get the v5 form sent out, they wouldn't post to Ireland.
    I'll need to get the account changed over to Ireland also.

Will you have access to the V5 for VRT?

You need to contact Tesla and get your country changed over to Ireland asap. The V5 is going to be an issue. You can either have Tesla mail it to the UK address and then "export" the car or better still tell them you moved to Ireland so you need the full V5C.

I have the v5, it arrived at the UK address I used last week and arrived at my house today so that's not an issue.

Tesla said they wouldn't post to a non UK address without going through some sort of export process that cthet said could take weeks, so sent it to my friends address in uk

I'm more stumped on the other queries I had but will have a look after work later

Where are you based? If in the Dublin area, just drive to Sandyford and they will sort you out? And for the craic, what model did you get, with what options? Care to share the VIN here?
    Connectivity may come back then but buying a CPO from Tesla, it’s well known you loose the free SuC and premium connectivity as far as I know.

Mine (CPO I bought directly from Tesla UK) kept both :D

Where are you based? If in the Dublin area, just drive to Sandyford and they will sort you out? And for the craic, what model did you get, with what options? Care to share the VIN here?

Mine (CPO bought from Tesla UK) kept both :D

Yep, think you got yours just before the watershed :)

• Advertisement

Yep, think you got yours just before the watershed :)

I think it's mostly the newer cars that don't have it. My car was originally sold with free supercharging for life (that comes and stays with the car, not the buyer), so I don't think they could legally take that away.

You just hit the jackpot. So stop gloating and rubbing it in our faces. :p

Well in fairness free supercharging and connectivity is only worth a couple hundred quid per year if you rarely / never supercharge :p

soft reset of both the mcu (which is mcu1, was hoping it had been upgraded) and the front display didn't fix the 3g problem.

I've connected over wifi and the app is connected to the car, it shows i've purchased autopilot, enhanced autopilot and full self-driving capability, so am happy to see that.

The app is saying it's downloading software update 2020.36.16 but it's not stuck at 48%, hopefully it finishes tonight so that i can check the 3g after the update.

On a separate note, as i mentioned, the car was dirty inside and out when collected, the photos tesla sent me show scrapes and marks inside the car.
    I understand that they aren't refurbishing the cars now before selling them, but i managed to get rid of many scuffs and marks inside the car with about an hours work.
    Very disappointing to see that they wouldn't even put minimum effort into getting the car clean, i'm not talking showroom quality but just clean in general

That's strange. They did a superb job on my car back in March.

529065.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

On a separate note, as i mentioned, the car was dirty inside and out when collected, the photos tesla sent me show scrapes and marks inside the car.
    I understand that they aren't refurbishing the cars now before selling them, but i managed to get rid of many scuffs and marks inside the car with about an hours work.
    Very disappointing to see that they wouldn't even put minimum effort into getting the car clean, i'm not talking showroom quality but just clean in general

It’s a very common complaint with Tesla lately. For years they went over and above what would be expected. When they abandoned CPO in favour of used car sales, it’s like they’re compensating for all the excellence in the early years. Considering they’re still relatively expensive cars, it’s poor form.

That could be a lot down to the previous owner.

529065.jpg

You are just torturing us now aren’t you?

[QUOTE=markpb;114907263That could be a lot down to the previous owner.[/QUOTE]

I guess so. But they spent hours cleaning and polishing it

Suffice to say that the car hasn't looked as well since I got it, it's usually pretty dirty :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Well you had them at gun point , so they probably put in a little extra effort.

• Advertisement

I got there hours before my appointment, and they were already working on it! Took above picture at about 8:30AM. So I think it is safe to assume that they gave all cars the same treatment. At least Tesla Manchester did, well at least back earlier this year. Perhaps standards have since slipped.

Advertisement