Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 54 ✭✭Itsaduck1

"ELM327 wrote:

Nothing comes close to the Plaid models now.

Wonder where M power, RS, AMG etc go from here?

Don't think they expected this so soon

That Tesla Plaid for €120k hangs with Lewis Hamilton's F1 car up to 160km/h and its out in a few weeks

It'll make an RS5 feel like a Mazda 5 in comparison

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Gumbo wrote: »
    That was my problem before, any I found for sale was for LHD and they wouldnt confirm that they would fit a RHD properly :)

Snap, would hate ill fitting one, ended up with some of those phone self sticky thingy pads and leave glass case on top and no issues (non P car).

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

PS also got some of these to stick on the inside of the centre console area, very very handy and keeping everything nice and neat

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Here's the link to the website from the lady in Norway I mentioned who hand makes the cubby drawers (also specifically for RHD cars):

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

apart from being a porsche, what makes the Taycan better for similar money?

S is faster and has more range. I wouldn't be wild on he Taycan interior either.

Is it the fact it is a Porsche and probably drives/handles better?

Yes and yes.
    Normal people don’t mash the throttle of their car every time they are moving forward - I can do 0-60 in apparently 4.7s, and I’ve even got launch control apparently(!) but I feel like a tit every time I do it around other drivers (and rightly so).
    The Tesla is literally a 0-60 machine - the one thing I might do a few times, for everything else I’d have the taycan, in an Irish context.
    As for the range discussion, the model S has more range than any Irish buyers will need (people spending €100k on a S aren’t travelling salesmen!)

As for the f%%king ‘ring’ discussion, it’s utter nonsense - for every car of every propulsion.

so yes, if I somehow had €120k to spend on the Taycan or the S, and nothing else, I’d pick whatever taycan is at that price point as a personal choice (and that’s before we get into the conversation about the clear association that being a Tesla driver gets with being a Musk fanboy - that will matter to many people).

• Advertisement

Not sure why people compare a Taycan with a Tesla Model S? Completely different setup. Taycan is a medium size 4 seater sports saloon. Not really practical as a family car. Particulary if you are a family of 5 :p You need to compare it to a similar size and form factor Tesla Model 3

Tesla Model S is not a sports car. It's a large family hatchback, bigger even than a Mercedes S-class or BMW 7-series

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

unkel wrote: »
    Not sure why people compare a Taycan with a Tesla Model S? Completely different setup. Taycan is a medium size 4 seater sports saloon. Not really practical as a family car. Particulary if you are a family of 5 :p You need to compare it to a similar size and form factor Tesla Model 3

Tesla Model S is not a sports car. It's a large family hatchback, bigger even than a Mercedes S-class or BMW 7-series

Couldn’t agree more. The S is an amazing car, but it’s not a sports car, it’s a really expensive 5 seater sedan, with a similar new buyer to a bmw 750Li perhaps?
    yet every Tesla driver constantly recites 0-60 times to two decimal places like it’s something the ghoys at the clubhouse car park can relate to.
    Drag times are meaningless in the real world.

If you are doing 0-60 in 2s to impress your friends or family, in reality the first time is amazing and the next time is just vomit in the passenger footwell. Lots of it.

Just a thought, with the refresh model now the production model and only coming from the US and they only producing LHD does that basically mean no new Model S for Ireland apart from what's on ships etc at present?

Temporary boost for used Model S value?

slave1 wrote: »
    Just a thought, with the refresh model now the production model and only coming from the US and they only producing LHD does that basically mean no new Model S for Ireland apart from what's on ships etc at present?

Temporary boost for used Model S value?

Looks like that has happened already, but for a different reason: no more imports from the UK.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Good comparison photo with the 2021 refresh model.

541483.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Good comparison photo with the 2021 refresh model.

541483.jpeg

Is this spot the difference? Because if it is, I lose :D.

Front and rear aerodynamics look a bit fresher. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I prefer the chrome. The chrome delete looks cheap and plasticky imho

Interior is a huge improvement, the landscape screen was the obvious way to go but I'm glad we're not getting that steering wheel. That said, it's one of those things, you'd probably get used to, even take to over time :D

Kramer wrote: »
    Is this spot the difference? Because if it is, I lose :D.

Tat was the point of that picture I’d say. Front bumper, side skirts, rear bumper, dechrome and wheels major difference on the outside. Will take a keen eye to spot the difference.

The same eye would spot the difference between an iPhone 11 and iPhone 12.

It’s the battery, range, interior and performance that sees the main differences.

Basically an external refresh void of any aluminium bodywork forming tool changes.

I’d like to see a front on comparison as the vents at the front fully open after a few supercharges a day to cool the battery down, and boy is that noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What is the "actual" waiting time for the model S?

If I went on the Tesla website today and built my car when would it realistically be on my driveway?

mfceiling wrote: »
    What is the "actual" waiting time for the model S?

If I went on the Tesla website today and built my car when would it realistically be on my driveway?

This time next year i believe.
    It takes about 3 mins to buy a €100k car :) took me longer to buy my iPhone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

This time next year i believe.
    It takes about 3 mins to buy a €100k car :) took me longer to buy my iPhone :D

Wow!! That is madness!!

In fairness that's because we've hit a refresh model time period where production of RHD cars is temporarily suspended as they prioritise LHD production.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's interesting that they're using 18650 for the refresh, including Plaid (not sure about Plaid+).

It's a bit weird to see Tesla advancing over the past couple of years:

- New car (M3) using 2170. This is the greatest thing ever!
    - New 4680 tabless battery for even more awesomeness!
    - Model S refresh, with 250kW charging and 1000bhp from a bunch of 18650s.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

plaid+ will have the 4680 cells - couldnt get that range without it

• Advertisement

Another email from Tesla this morning. Automated of course.
    Tesla has decided to voluntarily recall certain Model S and Model X vehicles built before March 2018 that are equipped with an 8GB embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) in the media control unit because the eMMC may malfunction due to accumulated wear. Our records show that you own a Model S or Model X affected by this recall.

If a malfunction occurs, you may experience a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen, loss of certain functionalities, and/or a vehicle alert to contact Service. There is no risk to vehicle drivability, including no effect on acceleration, braking or steering, and we are not aware of any accidents or injuries resulting from this condition.

If your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or newer and the eMMC malfunctions, then the rearview backup camera will remain available, the exterior turn signal lighting will remain functional, and the windshield defogging and defrosting controls will automatically default to a preset cabin temperature to ensure windshield visibility.

If your vehicle is operating software older than 2020.48.12 and the eMMC malfunctions, then you may lose these functionalities. Please ensure that your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or a newer release. To find your current software release, complete an update or review a list of possible malfunctions, please visit our Support page. If the touchscreen is unavailable, then please perform a shoulder check and use your mirrors to back up safely.

Additionally, Tesla will upgrade, free of charge, the eMMC on your vehicle with an enhanced 64GB eMMC.There is no need at this time to contact us as we will notify you when the parts become available. We kindly ask that you do not schedule a service appointment unless you receive a vehicle alert signaling memory storage device degradation or are actively experiencing a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen.

If you already paid for repairs that addressed the condition covered by this recall, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will share details about reimbursement and eligibility by the end of March 2021.

Thank you for being a Tesla customer, and we apologize for this inconvenience.

I suppose good to see they are proactive on it at the moment.

Interesting. I have not received it, and I see a lot of people online and also my own experience, where the SC simply denies the request for upgrade even though you are experiencing the symptoms.

I have booked in for an MCU2 upgrade as I'm sick to my back teeth of dealing with the SC over this.

Got the email earlier too, had my MCU1 replaced around this time last year but looks like that too should be covered

slave1 wrote: »
    looks like im not eligible!

"No recalls found. Refresh Date: Feb 1, 2021"

ELM327 wrote: »
    looks like im not eligible!

"No recalls found. Refresh Date: Feb 1, 2021"

No recalls found for me either. Is that because you are not eligible for the free fix as you car is outside of the mileage limit, and mine is not on the list because my car is still under full warranty?

For the craic, can any other owner stick their VIN in there and update us here with the result?

No recall for me either.
    There's no mention of mileage limit, never has been in any mention of MCU failures so I don't think that's relevant

unkel wrote: »
    No recalls found for me either. Is that because you are not eligible for the free fix as you car is outside of the mileage limit, and mine is not on the list because my car is still under full warranty?

For the craic, can any other owner stick their VIN in there and update us here with the result?
    Probably.
    Anyway as I say I'll have the end of the MCU1 hassle on Friday.

No recall for me either.
    The SC did confirm that mast week too.

My car is 2014, 106k km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

No recall for me either. Perhaps it's US-only for now?
    Make: Tesla
    Model: Model X
    General Production-2017
    Year: 2017
    No recalls found. Refresh Date: Feb 1, 2021

Advertisement