Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nice site here which lists loads of retrofits available for the Model S and the rest of the line up.

Some mad expensive, but others may give ideas etc

https://teslatap.com/modifications/

Recall site updated.

https://www.tesla.com/vin-recall-search?redirect=no&utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=tegra_recall&utm_content=ownership&utm_locale=en_US&utm_term=21q1

eMMC Recall now listed and showing up when I enter my vin.

Loads of blurb......then in the final paragraph...
    However, in the interest of ensuring the best possible ownership experience for affected customers, Tesla will also replace the eMMC on all affected vehicles or reimburse any affected customers who previously paid to replace an eMMC, Visual Compute Module (“VCM”) daughterboard, or MCU that was determined to be caused by accumulated wear of the eMMC. The eMMC is a component on the VCM daughterboard within the MCU. To be specific, Tesla will replace the VCM daughterboard that has the Hynix 8GB eMMC with a VCM daughterboard that has an enhanced 64GB Micron eMMC, free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Mine not in list, but maybe it knows mine was already done.

unkel wrote: »
    Mine not in list, but maybe it knows mine was already done.

A few people on the UK FB Page were saying the same thing. It knew it had the work carried out previously.

Now, mine has the 4G/LTE upgrade, but i've no idea who done it, tesla or other by the previous owner so god know what they'll say about that if mine gets called in for replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just got the email yesterday
    Already have MCU2 appointment booked so Im not going to bother.
    If I couldnt get them to do it when I was paying for it, what the heck chance have I when its free.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Mine was replaced this time last year by Tesla under warranty, I have the paperwork....
    But it's popped up on the VIN check so here's the entire text for those who can't see it...

Description The eMMC flash memory device is rated for an industry-standard 3,000 Program/Erase (“P/E”) cycles. Over time, and depending on usage of the affected component, the eMMC hardware exhausts cycles for each NAND cell. When the eMMC NAND cell hardware reaches lifetime wear, as measured by the number of P/E cycles and remaining available storage capacity, the eMMC controller will no longer be able to maintain the integrity of the filesystem. This wear-out condition can cause failures of the center display software components, and may indirectly cause loss of the rearview camera display, defrost/defog control settings, and exterior turn signal lighting.
    Status Recall INCOMPLETE
    Safety Risk While we are not aware of any crash, injury, or fatality resulting from this condition, unavailability of the rearview camera display, defrost/defog control settings for purposes of ensuring visibility, and exterior turn signal lighting may increase the risk of a crash. For vehicles for which these functions are not available, drivers can continue to operate the vehicle by performing a shoulder check and using their mirrors when backing, taking care when making turns, and assuring clear visibility when driving.
    Remedy In 2020, Tesla deployed several OTA firmware updates to address certain functionalities that may be lost when the eMMC reaches accumulated lifetime wear. Specifically, on vehicles equipped with: • FW release 2020.24.6.11 or newer, the defrosting/defogging settings will maintain the user’s selection for the duration of the drive cycle in which the eMMC wears out. On all subsequent drive cycles, the defrosting/defogging settings will automatically set the ambient cabin temperature to 22 degrees C (71.6 degrees F) and initiate windshield defrosting/defogging to ensure sufficient windshield visibility. In addition, all exterior lighting controls and chimes will continue to function normally after eMMC wear-out. • FW release 2020.48.12 or newer, the rearview camera display will continue to display on the center display after eMMC wear-out and an alert will now appear on the center display anywhere from one to six months before the eMMC reaches accumulated lifetime wear to notify most consumers of the wear status and to inform them that they should contact Tesla Service. As of January 22, 2021, 88% of all US vehicles affected by this recall report are operating all the aforementioned FW updates. Based on the above, Tesla believes that the aforementioned OTA FW updates remedy any potential safety risk presented by the eMMC wear-out condition. However, in the interest of ensuring the best possible ownership experience for affected customers, Tesla will also replace the eMMC on all affected vehicles or reimburse any affected customers who previously paid to replace an eMMC, Visual Compute Module (“VCM”) daughterboard, or MCU that was determined to be caused by accumulated wear of the eMMC. The eMMC is a component on the VCM daughterboard within the MCU. To be specific, Tesla will replace the VCM daughterboard that has the Hynix 8GB eMMC with a VCM daughterboard that has an enhanced 64GB Micron eMMC, free of charge.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I got the email on the 2nd and my VIN shows up on the VIN check with the same message.

Also pretty sure this was discussed on this thread but can't find it in a search. Anything to keep in mind for my NCT tomorrow. I have the jackpads, I know the VIN location and how to put the car in park.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I didnt bother with jack pads
    But I had my NCT in Northpoint and the key didnt work in the center, I think there must be some sort of faraday cage effect or something. I had to open and close the car with the app every time they wanted to do anything!

They didn't ask me anything, car passed without advisories last year. But yeah, I was prepared in that I knew how to put the car in park and where the VIN is on the chassis

But that was in my local NCT centre in Fonthill, which is by far the busiest NCT centre in the country, so they probably had seen a few of these before and shared the knowledge between the staff

On a side note - how many Model S are there in this country, does anyone know?

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    I didnt bother with jack pads
    But I had my NCT in Northpoint and the key didnt work in the center, I think there must be some sort of faraday cage effect or something. I had to open and close the car with the app every time they wanted to do anything!

My appointment is at Northpoint too. You gave them the key and it didn't work for them? That's strange. I'll have the app on the ready just in case. I plan to put it in valet mode and jack model before handing it over as well.

garo wrote: »
    Also pretty sure this was discussed on this thread but can't find it in a search. Anything to keep in mind for my NCT tomorrow. I have the jackpads, I know the VIN location and how to put the car in park.

They won’t use the Jack pads.
    Mine passed in north point last month or so.

I don’t think he even checked the Vin.

No Jack mode, no towing mode for wheel check etc

In and out in 15mins.
    He said they really need to train us on these.

Likely turn off tilt mode too

Gotcha. I meant the tilt mode I guess because the alarm went off when I was getting the rear tyres replaced a couple of weeks ago.

@Gumbo: By no jack mode, no towing mode do you mean not to turn those modes on? I can't recall my car having all those options.

Gotcha. I meant the tilt mode I guess because the alarm went off when I was getting the rear tyres replaced a couple of weeks ago.

@Gumbo: By no jack mode, no towing mode do you mean not to turn those modes on? I can't recall my car having all those options.

Sorry, you’ll only have Jack mode if you have the smart air suspension. It’s to stop the car trying to self level when in the air.

Ah so not an option for us plebs.

Ah so not an option for us plebs.

You probably have a different option that I don’t have.

Gumbo wrote: »
    You probably have a different option that I don’t have.

AP1 :D

unkel wrote: »
    AP1 :D

Now I’m the pleb :D

Lol. I put on auto-steering for the first time ever today. It was.... interesting. And worked pretty well. It will take time to build trust in the machine.

• Advertisement

Lol. I put on auto-steering for the first time ever today. It was.... interesting. And worked pretty well. It will take time to build trust in the machine.

I use it on motorways the whole time, works flawlessly.

It's actually real good in bumper to bumper city traffic too, you just sit there and it does everything (except be aware of traffic lights)

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Hi all. I'm hoping someone here can help as I've looked for the answer in line and keep getting differing answers to my question: are there 3 isofix points in the back for this car? I've got 3 young kids so this would be a deal breaker if it doesn't. Thanks a mil.

Issac wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm hoping someone here can help as I've looked for the answer in line and keep getting differing answers to my question: are there 3 isofix points in the back for this car? I've got 3 young kids so this would be a deal breaker if it doesn't. Thanks a mil.

What year are you looking at?

slave1 wrote: »
    What year are you looking at?

I'm open to all options at this stage!
    The number of nice looking and good performing motor options with 3 isofix are limited to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

[url] https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_europe_en_eu.pdf[/url]

Page 33 of the manual says it only has two isofix points at the back. Some variants (like the older models with the factory-fitted rear-facing seats) may have more. You could probably squeeze three seatbelt-fitted (non-isofix) seats into the back but it looked tight when we were thinking of buying one.

Modern child car-seats are so throne-like that very few cars can take three across and isofix makes it worse by mounting the seats slightly inboard and away from the doors so there’s no space for another throne in the middle.

markpb wrote: »
    [url] https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_europe_en_eu.pdf[/url]

Page 33 of the manual says it only has two isofix points at the back. Some variants (like the older models with the factory-fitted rear-facing seats) may have more. You could probably squeeze three seatbelt-fitted (non-isofix) seats into the back but it looked tight when we were thinking of buying one.

Thanks for that. I'll take a look at some of the older models then and see what I can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Thanks for that. I'll take a look at some of the older models then and see what I can find.

The extra rear-facing seats looked potentially great to us but the height limits on them were what put me off. We have tall children and they were likely to outgrow the limits of the MS seats before they outgrew the car seats. Horses for courses though, check out the limits and see for yourself.

I use it on motorways the whole time, works flawlessly.

It's actually real good in bumper to bumper city traffic too, you just sit there and it does everything (except be aware of traffic lights)

Thanks. Yeah traffic lights and bad weather are the two things I feel I wouldn't trust it with. The auto start/stop/speed control I use all the time and it works great in traffic and on the motorway. And stops me from going too far above the speed limit.

Car passed NCT. Guy took a long time but no issues.

So I’ve update 2020.48.37.1 waiting to be installed, has anyone done this yet and any issue with public charging?

• Advertisement

So I’ve update 2020.48.37.1 waiting to be installed, has anyone done this yet and any issue with public charging?

Not available for me unfortunately so can’t check.

Advertisement