Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

I'm currently driving a 2019 Model 3 performance, and had a 2018 Model S 75 loaner car a few weeks ago for the day and put up around 300kms on it, while i was getting some warranty work done and i have to agree it looked very well it was a red car with cream leather interior, there definitely is way more space in the Model S but its an awful lot wider for day to day driving especially around town or in a multi storey carpark. The range on the 75 was 360km, while my model 3 with a 75kwh battery has a range of 450kms+, it was more of a motorway cruiser & not something you could chuck around back roads, not as nimble as the model 3, but a nice place inside but a little bit dated perhaps but the in car screen / software is far better in the model 3. I'm changing my model 3 at the moment & did consider a second hand model S but with the BIK etc i opted to go for a new model 3 for full 80kms new warranty etc, hope this helps if you're looking for a 2019 car give me a shout!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The S is a class above the 3, in the same way a 5 series is a class above a 3, or an E vs C class, A4/A6 etc.

Depends what you want. The S is more premium and bargey, the 3 is a lot more low slung and hard riding. If getting an S try to get a facelift car (162 onwarrds) with AP2+ (recognizable by the cameras in the door).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's more like a 7-series compared to a 3-series, or S-class compared to C-class. With the Model S being in the practical hatch back form factor too. Very different beasts.

@orin_jj - go drive both of them (you can do in Tesla Sandyford for free) and let that make your mind up. The Model 3 is a saloon, if you have 3 kids or need to carry some bigger stuff sometimes, it simply isn't suitable. If you do a lot of long distance driving, the Model S (with air suspension) is just a supreme way to travel. I'm with AmberGold that currently the only Tesla in this country that is a bit of a bargain, is a brand new Model 3 SR+. That red Model S in NI you linked to seems good value though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Having driven my own S for 1.5yrs, and both dual and performance S's and Model3 SR+ there are pros and cons but many are obvious, e.g. S is bigger is both a pro and a con, SR is smaller is the opposite pro/con.

For comfort there is no comparison, the S with air suspension is streets ahead of the harsh SR, but if you've never driven a S then this may not be apparent. Is it your main car and do you have a family, in which case the S is a beast on cargo and multiple passengers.

As Unkel said, phone Sandyford and get a long test drive of both, it's too much money not to get first hand experience before purchase

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 orin_jj

Thanks all.

This will be the 2nd car (mine) and we'll use it as the primary family car where possible with the 2 kids (when there are no bikes and dogs involved etc... )

I agree, the value seems to be in the SR+.... but sometimes the heart rules the mind.

I'll see if I can get a test drive organised. That is what sealed the deal for me when I first drove the SR+

• Advertisement

The Model S can do it all. Kids, bikes, dogs, solar panels, washing machines, been there, done that 😂

We even took it on holiday, the 5 of us (3 teenagers), large dog and all our gear with room to spare, no need for any roof rack. Out of interest, what is your other car? We have 2 cars too, but we both prefer the Model S and both use it all the time. Our second car is strictly only used when the Model S is already in use at the same time. It's a cheap EV that can't even fast charge, so for local use in the Dublin area only.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

The Model S is one of the most striking cars externally IMHO but when I sat into one, the inside was less impressive. The lack of storage bins in the doors (especially in the back) was especially odd, it felt slightly impractical for anyone other than the driver. It's still a lovely car though but make sure you spend time in both before you choose.

Also make sure you budget for CCS and (potentially) MCU upgrade as well.

We have an ICE estate, which will be upgraded next year to an EV - probably the ionic 5.... to be decided, a whole different conversation 😂

This Tesla I'm getting will 95% be the family car, which we'll both use separately as well. I was more talking with my M3 hat on where if we brought the dog and or kids bikes out it would be in our estate. Good to know you've done it all with the MS!

Looking at this again - 55k with approx 3k VRT. If I could shave 1k off purchase price it seems the best value MS as an option.

@markpb thanks for the tip. How do I know if the car requires a MCU? I guess I should just assume it does and budget it in. Is it worth the investment? That was one of my main considerations... the Tech, screen and driving experiences

Even so, that could still bring it under 60k including the MCU. 8k more than my current SR+

That car could well have free supercharging if bought via referral before Sept 2018, get the garage to select the charging settings and it will show the cost of the last supercharging session, if "no recent supercharging" pop up then either the existing owner has not SuC in a long time or it has free SuC

Don't worry about MCU, it's fixed now for free even outside warranty. And a 2018 car is unlikely to ever develop it as the main cause of the problem (extensive logging of data) is now eliminated. And yes markpb is right about the lack of storage. None in the doors, none in the centre console, just two cupholders in front (and none in back) in the earlier models. It's ridiculous really. There are all sorts of aftermarket solutions for this though...

Go take both for a long test drive with your whole family on board and see what you think yourself. We all have different priorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

Hi there

I've both. Model S is a more refined drive with the air suspension. It's more of a cruiser. It gobbles up the miles effortlessly and the EAP does make the drive more relaxing.

Model 3 on the other hand is both twitchy and quite hard. It doesn't have EAP - the only downside really being, when you change lane, you have to restart the autopilot function. (I know EAP also gives you summon, but in almost 4 yrs, I've used it on a handful of occasions for the craic more than the necessity).

In terms of the tech, they are more or less identical. The screen orientation on the M3 is far superior. The lack of instrument binnacle on the M3, makes no odds to the experience.

They are completely different drives - they really are. If you like a Golf GTI type drive, then the M3 is for you. If you like a big car drive, then the MS is for you. If I was going to town or to Cork, I'd take the MS. I'd take the M3 if it was blocking the MS..

B

Warning on the above (good advice), if there's a factory reset just done, it will also show "no recent supercharging".

Free transferable supercharging ended in Q2 2017, so it's very unlikely that there is a 2018 with free transferable supercharging. The free supercharging after 2017 Q1 was non transferable. The only exception was if you bought an ex demo or inventory car that sat around.

There’s ways around being able to transfer it, you setup a generic email account whilst still the owner and ask Tesla to make this your new Account, you then give new owner this email address and passwords etc.

Now that's a 200IQ play.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭russelldlee

I own neither but the boot on the Tesla S cannot be beaten by any electric car out there. And, no offence to any Model 3 drivers, but the S is so much better looking than the 3 and the X.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

Hi , I'm buying a used model s privately tomorrow , What need to be done other than the change of ownership form ? is it just register the car on the app and get the seller to remove it from theirs ? Thanks

You will need to email Tesla your registration documents along with photo ID before they assign the car to you, it can take a few weeks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ask the seller to go into their account and remove the car. What this does is prime the IT for the change.

then when you get your logbook, you upload the photos of it and Id through your Tesla account.

on both my cars, I had app control within 24 hours of document upload.

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/support/account-support#claim-ownership

Grand , Thanks

Hi all - quick update. I decided to stick with my Model 3 order in the end. I was due to travel to NI to test that red MS but got a call that morning (before I left) to say they had taken a deposit.

Thanks for all the advice. In the end I didn't see the value in the MS here compared to the M3 (from my perspective). I will probably wait 18-24 months or so to see what the market looks like once the new MS become available

• Advertisement

If you don't need the space, seating for 5, practicality of a hatchback and the superior ride quality of a Model S, then a brand new Model 3 makes a lot more sense. Best of luck with your choice, hope you get the car soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭russelldlee

I got a P90DL , my first EV , its Brilliant . Had it ceramic coated today .

Nice, did you get free supercharging?

Nice one gizabeer, enjoy 😁

Need new front pads and disks on my P85, €450 plus labour ouch, but the disks are genuine Brembo. I guess if you can accelerate like a Ferrari, you want to be able to stop like a Ferrari too...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nice. Seen that on DoneDeal over the last few weeks.

crap ad if I’m honest but once you see it in person and drive it, your hooked!

P90DL brother here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Have you tried pricing these from a motorfactors out of interest? That being said the large disks tend to be a bit spendy. Doing brakes is not rocket surgery DIY. Probably best to do the brake fluid at the same time unless the system was flushed at Tesla before delivery to you.

Yeah did a quick check and the online prices from the usual suspects for the Brembo disks are higher than the garage are charging me, so they must be getting a trade discount and passing (some of) that on to me. I'm talking €450 for front pads + Brembo disks here plus labour. So not outrageous altogether. Not entirely sure, but I think my Performance needs bigger disks than the regular model S. It has the big red Brembo brake calipers too (all P models do)

Yeah , and I'm only 2 minutes away from the new chargers in Enfield 😀

• Advertisement

Yeah the add was brutal but the car is in great condition , I had the CCS upgrade done last week and the ranger knew the car and said it was in good shape . I was actually going to buy your one ( red one in vector I think ?) But was too slow in following it up , beautiful car , love them in red

Post edited by gizabeer on

Advertisement