Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 agentblue

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I'm looking at getting a dog and a model 3 - curious as to why having a dog would be a dealbreaker, just size in the back?

Hatchback Vs. Saloon??

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Can't lock dog in the boot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭f@steddie

unkel wrote: »
    Can't lock dog in the boot...

You sure? https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/tesla-model-s-shooting-brake-worlds-quickest-estate-now-completed

(I believe it costs the same again as the car to make the changes. :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

f@steddie wrote: »
    You sure? https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/tesla-model-s-shooting-brake-worlds-quickest-estate-now-completed

(I believe it costs the same again as the car to make the changes. :) )
    That's a model S.
    Which a) you can already lock the dog in the boot it's a hatchback
    and b) is not a model 3, which is a saloon, and you cannot lock the dog in the boot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭f@steddie

ELM327 wrote: »
    That's a model S.
    Which a) you can already lock the dog in the boot it's a hatchback
    and b) is not a model 3, which is a saloon, and you cannot lock the dog in the boot

Sorry - Model S thread. Should have read it properly. Tired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 agentblue

Can I ask any Model S owners on here, who are you insured with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

agentblue wrote: »
    Can I ask any Model S owners on here, who are you insured with?

Allianz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Tesla will end referral program to help Model 3 cost, says Elon Musk
    https://electrek.co/2019/01/17/tesla-end-referral-program-elon-musk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Tesla will end referral program to help Model 3 cost, says Elon Musk
    https://electrek.co/2019/01/17/tesla-end-referral-program-elon-musk/

Smart move - will add a lot more to the bottom line and I don't think they needed it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes it's gone past the point where it's needed.
    Wasn't really adding value for the purchaser once they removed free supercharging for life.

• Advertisement

Tesla fires 3000 employees

Elon claims Q4 was profitable but not as much as Q3. Cutting cost to improve profitability.

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

"Tesla will need to make these cuts while increasing the Model 3 production rate ..."

Is he going back to more automation I wonder?
    Else those aims seem contradictory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Tesla fires 3000 employees

Elon claims Q4 was profitable but not as much as Q3. Cutting cost to improve profitability.

Linky

They are screwed tbh

Wont be the only game in town for long

Sharks are closing in fast

How can they not make a profit selling high end Model 3s and have the cheapest batteries around?

They'll need to get a proper CEO in and give Musk something else to do, plan for Mars

They are making a profit, Thierry. They need to maximise profit and cash inflow to finance expansion of Model 3 production, which will bring economies of scale, which should lead to a decent margin base Model 3

That's all exactly what I would expect Tesla to do at this stage. At this point saying that they're screwed is a pretty ridiculous remark. They're doing all the right things and nobody else is much. Except VW, but so far it is mostly talk. We're still a long way away from a Neo on Irish plates...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mike9832 wrote: »
    They are screwed tbh

Wont be the only game in town for long

Sharks are closing in fast

How can they not make a profit selling high end Model 3s and have the cheapest batteries around?

They'll need to get a proper CEO in and give Musk something else to do, plan for Mars

Tbh it’s not unusual in manufacturing to cull numbers. They work in financial quarters. So will take on staff at towards the end of each quarter on a temp basis. They had to much permanent staff.

They spent billions on R and D and ramping up. That they are repaying that’s eating into profits

I worked in manufacturing for years and it’s standard practice

They are making a profit, Thierry. They need to maximise profit and cash inflow to finance expansion of Model 3 production, which will bring economies of scale, which should lead to a decent margin base Model 3

That's all exactly what I would expect Tesla to do at this stage. At this point saying that they're screwed is a pretty ridiculous remark. They're doing all the right things and nobody else is much. Except VW, but so far it is mostly talk. We're still a long way away from a Neo on Irish plates...

Now is when they should be making hay

No competition

High end Model 3s with huge margins in volume

They made big profits last quarter and didn't have much outlay in this one

Main outlay was 30% increase in workforce to get production to 7000 units a week

This quarter was supposed to be good

Next one has reduced federal tax in the States, demand is dropping in the US, only so many can afford 60k Model 3s

China and EU deliveries not the same margin, transport costs, reassembling, China tough market

It's only my opinion but I think signs don't look good and Tesla Model 3 35k is years off if they can't make money on 60k Model 3s

ted1 wrote: »
    Tbh it’s not unusual in manufacturing to cull numbers. They work in financial quarters. So will take on staff at towards the end of each quarter on a temp basis. They had to much permanent staff.

They spent billions on R and D and ramping up. That they are repaying that’s eating into profits

I worked in manufacturing for years and it’s standard practice

Agree

Hiring is no issue

They'll just hire again when volume dictates

Rinse and repeat

Not making a big profit again is the worrying thing

Corner turned etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

If it's standard in the industry why did the share price fall by 13%?
    Or was that unrelated?

It is one thing culling numbers to cut the outlay, but how do they propose to increase output with so much less staff?

It is one thing culling numbers to cut the outlay, but how do they propose to increase output with so much less staff?

Robots

• Advertisement

Robots

Are they already on line and in use?
    If not he might have another disaster on his hands.
    It would seem prudent to phase them in and let workers go when the robots are working at full capacity (or close).

The robots cannot take over from workers overnight unless already in position and set up.

Are they already on line and in use?
    If not he might have another disaster on his hands.
    It would seem prudent to phase them in and let workers go when the robots are working at full capacity (or close).

The robots cannot take over from workers overnight unless already in position and set up.

Original plan was to use automation for battery lines, robots were bad

Didn't work out so they hired alot of humans ( what Musk call us)

New automated battery line is supposed to be ready now or soon

josip wrote: »
    Or was that unrelated?

About 1 billion in cash needed in 6 weeks has them scared too

Tesla getting desperate now

Raising supercharger prices

https://electrek.co/2019/01/18/tesla-increases-supercharger-prices/#disqus_thread

At 32c/kWh might as well drive a petrol

Especially in the States at 50c a litre

Efficiency, automation temp staff.
    They ranked up production last year and obviously having never made that number cars ramped up staff numbers. They took on more than necessary and are just settling with the core staff required

https://electrek.co/2019/01/18/tesla-increases-supercharger-prices/#disqus_thread

They sold 246,000 cars last year. The super chargers must be at max capacity so they can afford to increase prices to curtail the number using and reinvest in more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I thought Tesla's belief was superchargers are designed for long distance travel, not an everyday charge. Most people should/will charge from home where rates are much cheaper - even more so with solar/battery storage.

I'd be fine with the move myself. Looking on Reddit at some of the queues, it makes sense.
    josip wrote: »
    Or was that unrelated?

Bull. Almost all EV charging is done at home at 8c/kWh. The occasional time where you need to fast charge publicly it doesn't really matter how much it costs. In fact 32c/kWh is very cheap. The norm in the EU (Fastned NL pricing without subscription) is 59c/kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

unkel wrote:
    Sold already. What was the asking price?

Not sold, relisted at the same price ;)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292925133755

Bull. Almost all EV charging is done at home at 8c/kWh. The occasional time where you need to fast charge publicly it doesn't really matter how much it costs. In fact 32c/kWh is very cheap. The norm in the EU (Fastned NL pricing without subscription) is 59c/kWh

Do we have fuel for 50c a litre here?

Nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Rich Rebuilds latest video on the 2nd hand buying story is interesting. Seems Tesla are still really losing out from the lack of motor industry experience. Making a balls of simple things.
    They sold 246,000 cars last year. The super chargers must be at max capacity so they can afford to increase prices to curtail the number using and reinvest in more

As above superchargers are not designed for daily use and your car can get barred if you overuse them (according to the AMA). Lots of 'muricans have cheaper leccy than us too.

Advertisement