Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock importing from Switzerland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭The part time boy

Some people seem to be getting very stressed because the f b is not telling us all the details of his plan.

That's where the negativity is coming from . Not that it's a bad idea but people seemed frustrated info his been withheld .

Which Is a bit silly .

His asked us about moving cattle . His not actally asked us for advise on his idea .

Prople can ask what his up to . But if he choices not to tell us that's his own business.

Again his asked advise on moving cattle from outside Eu. His not asked is his idea a good idea.

Remimber Curiosity killed the cat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Some people seem to be getting very stressed because the f b is not telling us all the details of his plan.

That's where the negativity is coming from . Not that it's a bad idea but people seemed frustrated info his been withheld .

Which Is a bit silly .

His asked us about moving cattle . His not actally asked us for advise on his idea .

Prople can ask what his up to . But if he choices not to tell us that's his own business.

Again his asked advise on moving cattle from outside Eu. His not asked is his idea a good idea.

OP started multiple threads looking for advice, one over on Business that was closed. How hard is it to phone one of the several cattle transporters named earlier and the D Ag and ask 'How much and how possible?' How many people in Ireland have imported BEEF from Switzerland?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Feirmeoir beag

Which Is a bit silly .

Thank you!! I appreciate you recognising the unnecessary stress that's come on some people in this form and for correctly identifying that my original post is merely related to gaining anyone's experience of importing bovine from Switzerland which is a non eu member. I politely responded to those wishing to those curious of my business plan of course which I'd rather not disclose just yet for obvious reasons of marketing protection but one day I will and you will all know what it is. Some of Pedro's comments have been amusing actually missing my point. My closed post on business was started there in error, hence why it's here and closed in business now. I intend to call the dept and some of the aforementioned transporters. So I'm getting the information I need thank you and boards has worked for my, in large by you the majority of others who are a little more considerate and respectful of my business venture. Thanks again part time boy! And yes curiosity did kill the little pussy cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

Actually one phone call to David Clarke would answer all your questions. I was approached by a friend who had a contact abroad with a hairbrain proposal looking to export dairy stock from here. Was potentially very lucrative. rang David Clarke who knew all the potential pitfalls and how to overcome them. And the right questions to ask of the foreign buyer to weed out messers. which they were. found him a gentleman to talk to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Importing cattle from Switzerland would, of course, not be a business at all.

It would be a pastime.

Selling beef from them, embryos from them, breeding stock or bulls from them... these would (or might) be businesses.

So I suspect what people are really asking is, what is it that is so special about a breed of beef from Switzerland which will make either farmers adopt it or customers buy the product from an Irish (not a swiss) farm.

This place is full of experts at raising beef, selling beef and I dare say eating it as well.

Might be worth engaging positively with them if you are serous about it.

The import question has been well answered I think and is hardly the make or break factor unless you are planning on raising beef in the alps and slaughtering it for consumption here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,066 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

OP I suppose you have people here that have worked in the industry of importing animals, semen, and embryos on here. As one of those I would just be concerned that you might have bought into some good marketing rather than having a supperior animal.

You might be surprised, they might already be over here.

Also be warned that some of the beefed Swiss cattle are stone mad and are Reared for fighting

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Feirmeoir beag

I'm satisfied with all my answers to date per questions I posted on my original post. For all of you who answered it head on directly and didn't diverge into speculation as to what I plan on doing thank you. Thanks to all of you who have been interested as I knew would happen and unfortunately I have to leave you guessing as to what I'm doing. I may be back with new posts soon relating to the same venture which will bleed more information and little by little, all will be revealed. So, watch this space! I'm just stepping out this process carefully. Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I'm satisfied with all my answers to date per questions I posted on my original post. For all of you who answered it head on directly and didn't diverge into speculation as to what I plan on doing thank you. Thanks to all of you who have been interested as I knew would happen and unfortunately I have to leave you guessing as to what I'm doing. I may be back with new posts soon relating to the same venture which will bleed more information and little by little, all will be revealed. So, watch this space! I'm just stepping out this process carefully. Thanks everyone.
    So you're satisfied with our answers to date :rolleyes:

Advertisement