Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computers being added to the TV license

Options
  • 28-03-2017 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I noticed this on a paper as I was heading into work this morning. I gotta ask, why? Computers aren't televisions. Why (besides the obvious reasons of greed) are they doing this? I don't have a television and I don't watch any RTÉ stuff so why should I be forced to pay for a service I'm not using? I can't believe there aren't more people incensed at this? Who is in charge of this crap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's like the papers simultaneously forgot that they were talking about a general broadcast licence a year or two ago, this is old news.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I noticed this on a paper as I was heading into work this morning. I gotta ask, why? Computers aren't televisions. Why (besides the obvious reasons of greed) are they doing this? I don't have a television and I don't watch any RTÉ stuff so why should I be forced to pay for a service I'm not using? I can't believe there aren't more people incensed at this? Who is in charge of this crap?

I don't often post here just noticed your thread. Anyway, for a TV licence you're essentially paying for serview I.e. Rte 1/2 tv3, e3 ect. But to be charged for a computer through a TV licence is bizzare. You already pay for your Internet connection through your provider, esb covers for electricity used. So what else is there to be charged for?

Any link to the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

TheChizler wrote: »
    It's like the papers simultaneously forgot that they were talking about a general broadcast licence a year or two ago, this is old news.

This is specifically regarding devices with a screen larger than 11", not a total clean sweep like the broadcast license

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

https://twitter.com/DenisNaughten

This is the twitter account of the guy leading this. I'm wondering if there's a way to shame him for trying to scam more money out of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,650 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Interesting so this will mean every single business with a computer in the country will need to get a TV licence if they don't already have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

No one should be forced to pay for a service they do not use. Or pay for others to continue to use that service.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

I sometimes find it hard to understand the logic in Ireland. Why should a person have to pay for a tv license in the first place as a tv is a receiver not a transmitter. You usually pay a license fee to allocate and use a frequency for transmission only, but just to receive an incoming signal it is very odd to be honest. And people in Ireland are put in prison for not paying the license, that is even more crazy.

Now I see they want to expand this craziness to computers and tablets so every one has to pay, well that is daylight robbery to even try and implement such a thing. Some times you feel like giving up as the laws made and legislated for are put in place by sociopaths. Sure there was a poll about this the other day on some site, and a 3rd of voters or just less wanted to pay double for the license. There is too many crazy people out there unfortunately.

Make it pay for view and then people will have a choice, but do we really think this logic will suffice when dealing with RTE?. They won't be able to up-keep their south Dublin mansions and swimming pools.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

cocaliquid wrote: »
    No one should be forced to pay for a service they do not use. Or pay for others to continue to use that service.

So your tax shouldnt pay for a school in Drogheda or a library in Donegal?

The idea that a citizen should only pay for services they use is farcical. The idea of a country is that for certain aspects we act as one.

This change isnt required, simply change the TV licence to an arts tax and take it at source via PAYE. Stop wasting so much money on ineffectual enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

ED E wrote: »

This change isnt required, simply change the TV licence to an arts tax and take it at source via PAYE. Stop wasting so much money on ineffectual enforcement.

Or even better, levy it on the electricity bill, tenner a month. The higher compliance (and elimination of administration and enforcement reuirements) should more than make up for the reduced annual rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

ED E wrote:
    So your tax shouldnt pay for a school in Drogheda or a library in Donegal?

A school and a library give the country a boost overall. They give rise to a higher educated, well read population which is within everyone's best interests. Fair City does not. Nobody will miss out if they bring down the RTE website.

The problem with this, and the TV license in general, is that they want us to pay for a service we don't want. Instead of improving the service, like most businesses do, they force a charge on everyone. Are they going to force a broadcast charge on the rest of the world? After all, anywhere with internet can watch RTE player. No, it would be marginally more ridiculous than forcing the entire population to pay. How about houses where kids/teens have laptops?

We have no TVs in the house but we have laptops. I would be more than happy to not pay the broadcast charge and have every tv station website blocked from my laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

They bring in the option of viewing broadcasts over the internet, then they blanket charge the nation for owning a device that has the potential to view it,

This makes no sense to me at all. 90% or more of people who own a desktop PC do not watch TV on it, why should they have to pay for a service that they do not use, just because something has the potential to do something doesn't mean it will be used for that purpose.

Surely a subscription option would make more sense to give the users the option to pay for a service they want rather than being charged for a service they neither want or use.

Then again sense and politicians seem to be like similar poles of 2 magnets.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

the question from the end of the article:
    "Do you think those who watch television on a tablet, laptop or PC should pay the licence?"

so are they talking about people watching actual TV broadcast on computer displays, or actual streams from rte website and the like?
    what a ****ing mess.

Advertisement