Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embarrassing moments?

• 28-03-2017 4:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 22 crv

I don't know if I am the only one but I have made some embarrassing mistakes during my time on a bike. The worst one probably was when I was going to work while having had 2 hours of sleep the previous night. I was going through traffic on autopilot mode, half sleeping and overtaking cars during the ''rush hour'' then for some reason I have decided to overtake a car on the right while it was turning right and ended up touching the car with my leg and barely making it past, the only reason I stayed on the bike was because he saw me and managed to stop on time otherwise I would have ended up on the ground. Now it would not have been that bad if not for another motorcyclist who was behind me which I overtook and made a complete fool of myself. I don't think I have ever felt so embrased in my life after making such a stupid basic mistake that riders with 1 week of experience wouldn't make. I don't know what the guy on a bike behind me thought, but I would guess something along the lines ''hahaha what a retard''. The embarrassment was so high that I had to make a run for it in order to escape this shame which I have inflicted on myself by making such a stupid mistake. When I remember it, I still feel massive embarrassment and hope not to meet that same rider again on my route as I would probably die from embarrassment. Do you have any stories like that to share? Maybe something will make me feel better :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Why do you feel so much more embarrassment in front of the other motrcyclist but not so much n
    in front of the motorist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

• Registered Users Posts: 22 crv

Wesser wrote: »
    Why do you feel so much more embarrassment in front of the other motrcyclist but not so much n
    in front of the motorist?

Because I was behind him as he was waiting for the car to turn, I overtook him and instantly messed up. I was embarrassed in front of everyone that saw me, believe me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

My brand new Yamaha TDR 125 bought from Seanie in GP Motorcycles all those years ago when I was only 18.
    Dropped it on the 3rd day of ownership and broke my scaphoid bone.Flyin down the road in the wet,braked too hard and front wheel tucked.
    Bike slid about 50 yards and made shyte of the entire left side of the bike.

I was only 200 meters away from my house and sure news spread like wildfire you know....:pac::o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Lyndsey3000

I was parked in a multi storey carpark and needed to go up a level to exit.
    I was driving through the carpark in 2nd gear, was comfortable, came to the incline, which was a bend around to the left for the next level, and I kicked the gear down to what I thought was first, but I was in neutral on the incline, revving, going no where, I tipped onto my left side, didn't damage the bike but I was mortified. bike was too heavy to lift back up so my boyfriend had to come down to help me. My friend was travelling behind me in a car and just came around the bend to see me lying on the ground. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

am getting neutral going up between first and second when giving it socks off the line a few times - not so great when you've a straight through akrapovic sounding like a boeing taking off, and the bike is going fuggin nowhere :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Had just gotten a Fazer600 and was walking the bike backwards to park and locked the steering, not used to the weight ... down she goes. Watched on by about 20 other's id joined on a first big spin out :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Last exam of 4 year degree. Say good-bye to class mates in car park. Me in the girlfriend in same course hop on the back of me Africa Twin and say our last good-byes to all. I rev her up to head off into a bright new future.

Front disc lock still on. Splat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Got to a set of traffic lights in the city centre went to put feet down..... laces from the baseball boots tangled in everything....fell into the side of the taxi at the red light...

Sat at a t-junction opposite the biggest biker pub in Nottingham, Girlfriend in the car behind me ran into me and sent me sprawling... I thought she was gonna be lynched....

same girlfriend.... following me into to drop a bike in for service, I lay the bike down avoiding a woman pedestrian, it was wet.... broke collarbone, said girlfriend tries to drag me off the road by the arm.... I fainted she went hysterical thinking she'd killed me! All outside the bike shop I was going to for a service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Done the disc lock thing *twice*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Done the disc lock thing *twice*

Same here, bought a 'dope rope' and never done it again :D

Really, you need a 'dope rope' on a disc lock otherwise you'll come a cropper.

Embarrassing one from me, and we still laugh about this one.

Stunting with some mates and one of the lads warned me to 'watch out for ice down there' ~ to which I reply 'I laugh in the face of ice'.

Wheelie, balance point, feather the gas ~ BANG, I'm sliding on my arse on a perfect sheet of ice and the bike doing similar.

But the disc lock is the worse :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,859 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Brother had a yamaha sr125 years ago. Was sitting in the local town at a red light. Up alongside him pulls a gsxr1100. He nods to the brother and lifts his visor. Brother lifts his. Wow is that a genuine sr125? Brother all delighted goes yeah. "W*nker" and proceeds to take off on the back wheel while the brother scarcely gets to 30mph in about an hour!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mfceiling wrote: »
    Brother had a yamaha sr125 years ago. Was sitting in the local town at a red light. Up alongside him pulls a gsxr1100. He nods to the brother and lifts his visor. Brother lifts his. Wow is that a genuine sr125? Brother all delighted goes yeah. "W*nker" and proceeds to take off on the back wheel while the brother scarcely gets to 30mph in about an hour!!

Well if that happened it was the Gixxer rider who was a wanker, and and embarrassing the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Same here, bought a 'dope rope' and never done it again :D

Really, you need a 'dope rope' on a disc lock otherwise you'll come a cropper.

Done it to.

If you don't have a dope rope try and put the lock on as close to the caliper so as not to allow any forward motion so the bike doesn't get any momentum if you forget and as you are increasing the revs to get some drive "what's wrong I'm not on a hill" you should twig it.

The more momentum the bigger the clunk... saw a big clunk in Killarney one time from a heavy Harley... horrible, felt for the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Back from the UK to the local village on my shiny 1 year old GPZ600R. The young are lads are agog outside the chip shop so I commit to demonstrating a tight u-turn feet up with the intention of giving it a bit of welly on take off (almost obligatory in these situations)

I stall on the u-turn, bike starts fall but I catch it halfway at 45 degree angle, now I'm in limbo... to heavy to get it up but the bright lads in our village responded to my predicament after about 5 seconds and ran over and lifted it without a snigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

A useful tip I read about attaching disc locks :
    Don't put it in front of the caliper or forks. Put it behind, and close to the caliper, to minimise distance travelled to the "clunk".
    Seems obvious once you know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Not long after passing my test I was sat at the lights waiting for them to go green. I got distracted and started adjusting my mirrors. Next thing I know I've lost my balance and the bike and I go down. Oops! It all seemed to happen in slow motion. Red faced I was but a kind passer by helped me lift the bike quickly to get outta peoples' way. Tiny scratch on my engine case so I duly fitted some GB racing engine covers and sw-motech frame sliders.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Was dating a girl once and headed to her gaff to meet her Da on my bike. He was in his garden when I pulled in and process to dismount and shake his hand....

Only I forgot to put down the side stand.

So instead of a handshake he was helping get the bike off the ground.

First impressions and all that...

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Taught i was deadly after getting my first ever bike last year (ninja zx6r) Pulled into a garage with about 15-20 lads and girls outside they all said deadly/nice bike man.

came out anyway when to fire her up .... nothing .... kept cranking for about 5 mins nothing .... checked everything i could think of , had to ring a friend to say bike wont start to come down and help .

he arrived on, sat on , kicked up the side stand, and it fired up .

Said loudly to everyone could hear "It wont start with the side stand down. It's a safety feature"

Never been as red faced in my life .... but sure we learn from our mistakes :D:D

Dunno about embarrassing moments but ive nearly killed myself several times I'm not proud of.

• Advertisement

Another one from me. I'm awkward anyways but this was on my first day of IBT. I was on the trainers bike, on an off-road place in Maynooth, grand, no one looking etc. I was to come between 4 cones and stop. First time on the bike, I somehow managed to fall off the bike and drop it, breaking most of the brake lever off. The trainer needed the bike perfect for a person doing their full test the very next day ...

Another one from me. I'm awkward anyways but this was on my first day of IBT. I was on the trainers bike, on an off-road place in Maynooth, grand, no one looking etc. I was to come between 4 cones and stop. First time on the bike, I somehow managed to fall off the bike and drop it, breaking most of the brake lever off. The trainer needed the bike perfect for a person doing their full test the very next day ...

Did he manage to even crack a smile ?

GBX wrote: »
    Did he manage to even crack a smile ?

No he didn't haha and he didn't help me off the ground either he picked up the bike :)

No he didn't haha and he didn't help me off the ground either he picked up the bike :)

Grumpy bollox ... sure thats why he has insurance for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

if it was a school bike, without crash bars, and a stock of replacement brake levers, more fool him

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

I was doing the u turn in a small car park and my turning circle was so bad that I ended up a foot away from the wall. He told me to walk it backwards and try again.

I go to get off the bike and walk it backwards. Now I was wearing my jeans and the school over trousers which were too small so when I swung my leg off my boot caught the passenger handles and down she went.

Broke the aluminium footrest and spent the next 2 days scraping my leg off the remaining shard while waddling the bike around.

Stuck to jeans for the rest of the IBT :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm paranoid about the disc lock after doing it twice. Even when I can feel it in my pocket I move away slowly in case its somehow still on

Advertisement