Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS vita battery dying when off

Options
  • 28-03-2017 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi guys, I recently purchased a PS vita just to use with the free games that I get with psn plus every month but I have noticed that whenever I turn off my PS vita and maybe come back to it the next day the battery is completely drained.
    I have bought a new battery and put that it and had it fully charged when I went to bed last night and woke up dismorning and the battery is nearly completely dead again.
    Any idea as to what might be causing this or how might I fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Are you powering it off completely (long press) or just sleeping it (short press)? It takes longer to boot from completely off, but it uses less power than sleep mode. Turning on flight mode might help the battery to last longer in sleep mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Darby_321

Yes i have it completely turned off as i do not use it too much so dont bother leaving it in sleep mode. I wonder if i was to just leave it in sleep mode would the battery drain as much as it does when it is switched off? How long should the vita last with a full charge on sleep mode?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Did you buy the vita brand new or second hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Darby_321 wrote: »
    Yes i have it completely turned off as i do not use it too much so dont bother leaving it in sleep mode. I wonder if i was to just leave it in sleep mode would the battery drain as much as it does when it is switched off? How long should the vita last with a full charge on sleep mode?

I couldn't say how long but I've left it in sleep mode for about a week and there would still be some charge in it. Not a whole lot mind…

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Did you buy the vita brand new or second hand?

It was bought second hand. It is in good condition and everything works perfectly on it apart from this issue

• Advertisement

I couldn't say how long but I've left it in sleep mode for about a week and there would still be some charge in it. Not a whole lot mind…

Ok I might try it with a full charge and see how long will it hold the charge for in sleep mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Its definitely an issue with the unit itself. There's no way a battery should be nearly flat from full in the space of a day unless you use it a lot.

Its definitely an issue with the unit itself. There's no way a battery should be nearly flat from full in the space of a day unless you use it a lot.

Any idea what could be causing this though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Could just be a case of a knackered battery. If the old unit got a lot of use this can happen over time.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Could just be a case of a knackered battery. If the old unit got a lot of use this can happen over time.

I have just replaced the battery with a new battery and the same thing happened me last night with the new battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

If it's in sleep mode (and not fully powered off), the wifi could run down the battery, especially if it had loads of games/updates to download in the background.

If this is the case, toggle some of the appropriate settings found at Settings->PSN->Automatic Update Settings and see what that does for you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have just replaced the battery with a new battery and the same thing happened me last night with the new battery

Well I would give the new battery 3 or 4 full charge cycles before judgement.

Update - I had the vita fully charged yesterday and just left it in sleep mode all day and all night and checked it again there and it is nearly dead now. So it lasted nearly a full day on sleep mode with airplane mode on. I feel that it should still be lasting longer than that but it seems to have lasted longer than when it was completely turned off

Wouldn't be sure. I have one (old now) and when i turn it off and don't use it for even a few weeks the battery always has a good bit of power still in it.

Reset the firmware etc by doing a factory reset and see how it goes then.

Wouldn't be sure. I have one (old now) and when i turn it off and don't use it for even a few weeks the battery always has a good bit of power still in it.

Ok the next thing I might try is when it is fully charged again do a full reset of the system and see will that fix the problem.

Reset the firmware etc by doing a factory reset and see how it goes then.

I am after doing a factory reset and then just had it turned off all yesterday and last night and dis morning there was still some battery in it but there was only about a quarter left. Don't know where to go from here really

Did you buy it secondhand in a shop or off a private seller?

Did you buy it secondhand in a shop or off a private seller?

Private Seller. I'm thinking if nothing works out with it can I just sell it to CEX. Does anybody know what is their policy for buying consoles. Do they take them and test them for a few days or what?

Private Seller. I'm thinking if nothing works out with it can I just sell it to CEX. Does anybody know what is their policy for buying consoles. Do they take them and test them for a few days or what?

They run a quick test in a few minutes on them, power them on, load a game on them etc.

• Advertisement

They run a quick test in a few minutes on them, power them on, load a game on them etc.

That would be fine so because it will work perfectly like that

Lesson learned so. That's the bad thing about buying privately. Sometimes it's fine others not so much.

Lesson learned so. That's the bad thing about buying privately. Sometimes it's fine others not so much.

ya i don't feel too bad about it though because i bought it for 50 euro and it came with a 16GB card so the card itself is nearly worth that much :D

Advertisement