Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable and easily available wood for outdoor table

• 28-03-2017 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Now I know I can just use pine and spend my life varnishing it and moving it but is there an easier way? I was thinking of using treated wood for the legs and I was hoping there is some options beyond the standard pine in this country that can be easily sourced when all I have is a smallish car that can take 2.4m lengths and nothing longer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

tvc15 wrote: »
    Now I know I can just use pine and spend my life varnishing it and moving it but is there an easier way? I was thinking of using treated wood for the legs and I was hoping there is some options beyond the standard pine in this country that can be easily sourced when all I have is a smallish car that can take 2.4m lengths and nothing longer

Iroko will last forever but have you the tools to plane it from rough ? Otherwise pressure treated softwood is OK but will have a rough finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

recipio wrote: »
    Iroko will last forever but have you the tools to plane it from rough ? Otherwise pressure treated softwood is OK but will have a rough finish.

Right now only have a hand plane and an orbital sander so the top would ideally be from planed timber but there are ways around it if needed.

Where would I source something like Iroko?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

tvc15 wrote: »
    Right now only have a hand plane and an orbital sander so the top would ideally be from planed timber but there are ways around it if needed.

Where would I source something like Iroko?

All the chain stores - Brooks, Chadwicks PJ Corry etc will have iroko. Don't forget you can cut it in the timberyard to fit in the car. Trying to hand plane however will be difficult for a novice - you will need a sharp jack plane. Could you ask a local joiner to prepare the wood. ? Otherwise 'red deal' ( Scots pine ) or larch are durable outdoor softwoods if you can find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

note any surface treated woods (pressure treated pine etc), will need to be retreated where ever they are cut, and 'raw' wood is exposed

Advertisement