Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Maintenance question

Options
  • 27-03-2017 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi
    In my case, I have paid maintenance for 10 years now since my child moved permanently to her mothers. She is now 21 and in College so I know I have to pay while she is in college until she is 23. Its not any court enforced payment, just something we agreed to ten years ago and stuck to ever since. 
    Now however as part of her course, she is starting full time work being paid a wage, working 40 hours per week and will be working for the next six months. I feel i shouldn't have to pay until she goes back to college in September. Am I right in my presumption that I am entitled to do that?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Any changes to court ordered maintenance is done by variance order to the court. If the child is going to be living with you then you are entitled to maintenance from the other parent.
    See a solicitor and dont presume. If you stop payment without a variance order, you could be liable for arrears. ;)

If it's an agreement between you then there's no liability on you to keep paying if the child is living with you.
    Spousal maintenance is not really enforced in Ireland, (unless your really loaded :) ) but get proper advice as soon as.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Chimo29

Hi.
    In my case.my child is living with her mother.she is 21 now and in full time education but will stop for six months to work full time. She will resume college in september. We don't have any court order agreement. Just an agreement we made ourselves years ago but I believe I shouldn't have to pay anything while she is working full time as she can support herself now until she resumes college in september.
    My question is... am I still obliged to pay her mother even though she is now 21 and working full time based on the fact she will resume college in September?

Thanks
    cbyrd wrote: »
    Any changes to court ordered maintenance is done by variance order to the court. If the child is going to be living with you then you are entitled to maintenance from the other parent.
    See a solicitor and dont presume. If you stop payment without a variance order, you could be liable for arrears. ;)

If it's an agreement between you then there's no liability on you to keep paying if the child is living with you.
    Spousal maintenance is not really enforced in Ireland, (unless your really loaded :) ) but get proper advice as soon as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Split this out from the zombie thread

Advertisement