Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car in England

Options
  • 28-03-2017 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    Am looking to buy a car in England and import it back to Ireland. My brother says its worth it - lower mileage, higher spec cars for less money. Does any one have advice on the do's and don't to importing a new or nearly new car from England to Ireland? Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,236 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

On nearly new it must have 6k km or 6 months old otherwise you will have to pay VAT on top of the VRT.
    I'd recommend going to a location where either the dealer has a number of cars your interested in or is near another dealer where there are other cars your interested in to save disappointment if the car is sold before you get there. Cargiant in London has a very large selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

Advise please..would it be silly to buy a car from a main dealer without physically seeing it..its only 7 months old and looks perfect in the photos..thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

There's a huge thread here about importing from the UK....

It would be silly to buy any car without seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

exaisle wrote: »
    There's a huge thread here about importing from the UK....

It would be silly to buy any car without seeing it.

Funnily enough, it's not that uncommon on nearly new cars in the U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,236 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

butrasgali wrote: »
    Advise please..would it be silly to buy a car from a main dealer without physically seeing it..its only 7 months old and looks perfect in the photos..thanks.

Depends on the type of person you are as to how perfect you expect a used car to be and what would put you off like say mild kerbing on an alloy, hairline scrapes on instrument panels etc, they would wreck the head of some owners. Personally I would want about 100 plus photos of a car before I would consider buying unseen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Whatever you do make sure you get the full v5c from the seller because otherwise you'll have hardship trying to vrt it. You can also arrange an inspection through the RAC or AA or others if you want a mechanic to take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

Got the new car from England today..skoda scout ..saving me around 5000 on the same one here..happy days

Advertisement