Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Text from BOI asking me to call 1890 866 555?

• 28-03-2017 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi I just got a text saying:
    "Please contact Bank of Ireland at 1890 866 55 between 9am and 8pm. Do not reply by txt to this message"

What is it to do with, and why can't they just ring me if there is an issue with something? 
    It'll cost me to phone them on the 1890 number and probably be on hold for ages? 

It could be someone pretending to be Bank of Ireland. I had a long distance scammer on the phone just a couple of days ago saying they were from the Visa Card office. 

Thanks in advance,
    Sadie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

sadie9 wrote: »
    Hi I just got a text saying:
    "Please contact Bank of Ireland at 1890 866 55 between 9am and 8pm. Do not reply by txt to this message"

What is it to do with, and why can't they just ring me if there is an issue with something? 
    It'll cost me to phone them on the 1890 number and probably be on hold for ages? 

It could be someone pretending to be Bank of Ireland. I had a long distance scammer on the phone just a couple of days ago saying they were from the Visa Card office. 

Thanks in advance,
    Sadie
    Hi Sadie, 

Thanks for contacting us on Boards. 

This is a Bank of Ireland number and would be our Credit Card collections team. We would advise you to call this number and an advisor will be happy to discuss the reason for this text message. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭sadie9

I am ringing them now. It seems to be just the main BOI number, so I am on hold. 
    What if I can't wait on hold for very long? And it's probably 31c a minute on my mobile for the 1890 number. I checked my account and there's no dodgy payments. 
    Is there a Landline I can ring instead? 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭sadie9

I couldn't stay on hold any longer. I am guessing that it's to tell me that I didn't pay my Credit Card last month and got charged the late payment fee. 
    So this is probably how it works - Banks are probably obliged to remind customers about their Credit Card payments. However, to save costs of letters and phone calls, this notification is now a text message so that the onus and the cost is transferred to the Customer. And BOI don't need to employ staff to ring or print out letters regarding late payments. 

However, I have an issue with the way the Text message is presented. My elderly mother would get very worried about something like that because there is no information in the Text message. It would cause her to panic. 
    The text message is disingenuous. 
    I've paid the €10 that is due on my credit card so I am presuming I don't need to contact them further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

sadie9 wrote: »
    I couldn't stay on hold any longer. I am guessing that it's to tell me that I didn't pay my Credit Card last month and got charged the late payment fee. 
    So this is probably how it works - Banks are probably obliged to remind customers about their Credit Card payments. However, to save costs of letters and phone calls, this notification is now a text message so that the onus and the cost is transferred to the Customer. And BOI don't need to employ staff to ring or print out letters regarding late payments. 

However, I have an issue with the way the Text message is presented. My elderly mother would get very worried about something like that because there is no information in the Text message. It would cause her to panic. 
    The text message is disingenuous. 
    I've paid the €10 that is due on my credit card so I am presuming I don't need to contact them further.
    Hi sadie9,

We're sorry that you experienced a long hold time whilst calling and that you are not satisfied with the content of the text notification. We will certainly forward your feedback regarding this to the team. If you need to check your Credit Card balance and what is due on it, this is possible through 365 Online if you have added the card to view online or separately through our Card Care service. Should you have any further query on your account, you can send this through the Ask a Question option on 365 Online Service Desk. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Advertisement