Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cows....

• 28-03-2017 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Behind the house I rent, there is a large modern barn and cattle which live alongside the garden here.

I have lived alongside cattle and on cattle farms three decades and have never heard what I am hearing these days and night.

Just had the loudest moo-er at the gate bellowing for two hours and she does this many times a day.

Deafening and distressing in the extreme

The man lives miles away so does not hear this.

I know about cows being separated from calves and bellowing but this has been going on weeks. Am wondering what is going on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Beef or dairy?
    If dairy, it could be because the calves are taken away, though normally it doesn't cause much issues as the calf is taken straight away so the bond isn't as strong.
    If beef, they're most likely just shouting for feed or shouting at others fields away, or hear something like a van or jeep that makes them think they're about to be fed.

Or perhaps they're just hungry, are they skinny looking?

And some idiots of cows just roar all the time, we have one like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Beef or dairy?
    If dairy, it could be because the calves are taken away, though normally it doesn't cause much issues as the calf is taken straight away so the bond isn't as strong.
    If beef, they're most likely just shouting for feed or shouting at others fields away, or hear something like a van or jeep that makes them think they're about to be fed.

Or perhaps they're just hungry, are they skinny looking?

And some idiots of cows just roar all the time, we have one like that.

No idea and they are right against the house here. Unbearable really and the man does not have to hear it.

I watched the worst one and it was distress and temper nonstop 2 hrs. Deafening.

Graces7 wrote: »
    No idea and they are right against the house here. Unbearable really and the man does not have to hear it.

I watched the worst one and it was distress and temper nonstop 2 hrs. Deafening.

Are they black and white females or male cattle/all colours female. That'll tell you if they're dairy or beef. they could be someone buying in young unweaned cattle from marts for summer grazing either. If so they'll stop after a few days.

Are they black and white females or male cattle/all colours female. That'll tell you if they're dairy or beef. they could be someone buying in young unweaned cattle from marts for summer grazing either. If so they'll stop after a few days.

Mostly browns. The head roarer is light brown and shaggy and has been doing this for several weeks..

Others have calves at foot.

He has been up and down with trailer aback his van; Saturday was a big local mart so was hoping he had taken the big one away! But no..maybe he was buying more in

But my last landlord did that and never heard a moo all the years I was there or the landlord before who was a beef farmer and never a noise from them either so what is it with this lot?

Doing my head in is an understatement' I have neuro issues with noise and when I booked this house was assured in writing that it was seriously quiet and peaceful up here. :rolleyes:

I was hoping that it was just that the cows had been in the barn all winter and were excited to be out ..

Maybe I should start packing....

Sounds like he's buying in so, with cattle in/out the while time a shed would rarely be quiet. The one that's shaggy haired, it's possible she's been out all winter so could just be hunger. Take a look at her next time and see if her hip bones (about 3/4 down her back) are prominent. Though different breeds have different natural covers, light brown/reddish would suggest limousin cattle.
    Some cows learn to roar at people when they're hungry (ours do this) so until a cover of grass comes she'll probably continue at it, if that's what she's doing.

• Advertisement

Sounds like he's buying in so, with cattle in/out the while time a shed would rarely be quiet. The one that's shaggy haired, it's possible she's been out all winter so could just be hunger. Take a look at her next time and see if her hip bones (about 3/4 down her back) are prominent. Though different breeds have different natural covers, light brown/reddish would suggest limousin cattle.
    Some cows learn to roar at people when they're hungry (ours do this) so until a cover of grass comes she'll probably continue at it, if that's what she's doing.

That fits.

he leaves the van up here and she was standing behind it roaring the two hours w he was of f elsewhere.. so he is neglecting them? We are high up here so grass will be later. No lambs yet.

Impossible situation. It really is. And I have a feeling the barn was built without planning and far too near the house .. there was no one living here to object,

That fits.

he leaves the van up here and she was standing behind it roaring the two hours w he was of f elsewhere.. so he is neglecting them? We are high up here so grass will be later. No lambs yet.

Impossible situation. It really is. And I have a feeling the barn was built without planning and far too near the house .. there was no one living here to object,

No, not necessarily built without planning. The dept are very strict on sheds with tanks due to environmental issues. We have a slatted shed built maybe 12m from a house. Though the house was unoccupied & dilapidated when we built it, so thus didn't need planning for when we renovated it after the shed was built.
    It doesn't mean he's neglecting them at all, ours shout at us when we walk past the field they're in, regardless of if they're knee deep in grass or due a move. They just learn it as a bad habit, similar to a dog reacting when it sees an owner get a lease. Cows roar when they want more food>owner duly moves them>cows roar each time when hungry>moved again>learn to roar when see owner as they hope to be moved.

Many farm sheds are exempt from planning.

Also country people don't tend to object to things neighbours do as it would come back to bite them.

Roaring is definitely not a sign of neglect, they roar for many different things. Well fed cows will roar if they are left any length without food or worse just because they want fresh silage etc. They will eat what's in front of them eventually though if you don't give in.

Bulls can be very bad for roaring and they are very loud, if any cow is in heat anywhere near them even fields away they will get interested and start roaring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Our neighbour has a cow that roars continuously. Nothing wrong with her, not hungry or separated from her calf of anything, just roars.
    Makes no difference if she's in a shed or out in the field.
    Don't know how he sticks it, he lives beside the shed, and we're 400 metres away.

Would you not talk to the owner, ask him if he could move the animal to some other shed/piece of land?

Advertisement