Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bits & Bobs for new build

Options
  • 28-03-2017 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I've got the last of my parts arriving this week before I can actually turn my computer on for the first time.

I realised I didn't have an antistatic wristband so went to order one but amazon is charging £7 delivery for a £4 strap so I want to bump up to free shipping level of a total of £25.

Any bits and pieces that people would recommend for a first time build? tools/cables etc that would be handy? Hopefully nothing over £20 if possible :)

Cheers!
    Red

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wristband is overkill imo, just be careful about what you're wearing and where you build it. Have something nearby to ground yourself on every now and then if you're really paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Wristband is overkill imo, just be careful about what you're wearing and where you build it. Have something nearby to ground yourself on every now and then if you're really paranoid.

This, but if you feel you need it, consider if you need any additional cables (sata, Ethernet, usb extension, video cables etc.) Fan cable splitters, fan resistors, WiFi card, cable ties, thermal paste, additional case fans, USB hub, card reader.

On the USB hub, I have one(with an extension cable) mounted on my desk, keyboard and mouse permanently plugged in, handy for switching to the work laptop etc. With out reaching in under the desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

RedXIV wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I've got the last of my parts arriving this week before I can actually turn my computer on for the first time.

I realised I didn't have an antistatic wristband so went to order one but amazon is charging £7 delivery for a £4 strap so I want to bump up to free shipping level of a total of £25.

Any bits and pieces that people would recommend for a first time build? tools/cables etc that would be handy? Hopefully nothing over £20 if possible :)

Cheers!
    Red
    Never used an antistatic band myself; just take off the acrylic jumpers & touch a radiator (to ground yourself) before doing anything.

Magnetic-tip screwdrivers if you don't have them already.

Thermal paste - any that's cheap.
    Isopropyl / rubbing alcohol (might have to buy that in a pharmacy) + q-tips.
    Velcro straps multi-pack.
    Head-mounted lamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Second the cable ties and magnetic tipped Phillips head screwdriver.

If you're building on the kitchen table you can be quite a distance to something to attach your wristband or something to otherwise ground yourself. I found myself with the kettle on an extension lead and the wristband clamped to that once!

Also just FYI your radiators might not be earthed if your central heating system uses acorn or other non metallic pipes. Metal toasters, kettles, etc are usually earthed.

As is your PSU once it's plugged in!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Thanks for the tips guys!

Got myself a few cables and nice magnetic screwdriver :)

This should hopefully help refrain from frying anything.

@Metric Tensor, I assume nice old house like mine from the 50s will have metallic pipes for radiators? They feel fairly metallic anyway :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement