Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perennials Recommendations

Options
  • 28-03-2017 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi all, any recommendations for some small perennials, Have a bed of rose bushes and looking to fill gaps with some nice colour.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What colour, and what season do you want the colour?
    Herbaceous geraniums are great, easy to look after, low maintenance. I like the pink ones better than the blue, less vigorous.
    Asters for later summer. 
    Sedums like "Autum joy" are lots of colour in august / september.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

Any colours at all, looking for flowering in June-September, can be a nice mixture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Day Lilies (Hemerocallis) give a great splash of colour in the summer Iris Sibierica is a favourite of mine and of course Agapanthus follow on with a similar colour & shape. The simplicity of the hardy Geranium flower mentioned above is a good contrast to the "fussiness" of Roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes I would agree with the geranium suggestion - good ground cover and sufficiently unobtrusive not to take away from the roses. Easy, spreading, a nice haze of colour at ground level. Prune/deadhead/savage with shears and enthusiasm after flowering and they will give you another flush before the end of the summer.

Advertisement