Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA new smart bulb kit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

niallb wrote: »
    Took a little while to get a chance to experiment with it, but the IKEA bulb works fine with Hue.

With the latest firmware I was able to pair the IKEA GU10 with my Hue hub without any problems.
    I put the hub right beside the bulb and made sure my other bulbs (and IKEA bridge) were turned off as suggested in the howto.

Did you have to use the Ikea bridge to update the firmware?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Is this a Smart bulb? It mentions wireless but I'm not sure this works off wifi?

Does it?

Tradfri GU10 for €7

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

If it's Tradfri then its one of the smart ones. Tradfri is swedish for wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is this a Smart bulb? It mentions wireless but I'm not sure this works off wifi?

Does it?

Tradfri GU10 for €7
    It's a fixed temp smart bulb. You need the wireless dimmer, remote control or wireless gateway to control it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

matrim wrote: »
    Did you have to use the Ikea bridge to update the firmware?
    Yes.

Does it?

Tradfri GU10 for €7
    No. It does not work off wifi. That is why you need either an IKEA Bridge or a Hue Hub to communicate with them. Just like the Hue bulbs. They are not wifi either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

niallb wrote: »
    Yes.

No. It does not work off wifi. That is why you need either an IKEA Bridge or a Hue Hub to communicate with them. Just like the Hue bulbs. They are not wifi either.

You can use them without the Hub/Gateway if you buy the wireless dimmer or remote.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20347830/#
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20303317/

But might as well just go for the hub
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00337813/

I think I'll invest in a set them reach australia. THe phillips ones are extortionate here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭afatbollix

A couple of questions, Can I set up moods? I have a ceiling light and some table lamps. I would like to just turn on the table lights most of the time like watching TV but use all the lights when I'm looking for something. Could I do that with the remote? or Would I need two remotes? I have Alexia so I could ask her to turn on table lamps maybe?

You need a hub to use tese smart bulbs with Alexa - The Echo doesn't talk zigbee,
    so you need the hub so that it can pass on commands sent to the hub via wifi to the bulbs using zigbee.
    EXCEPTION: if you have the latest Echo Plus it has zigbee built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Any chance the motion sensors/dimmers are compatible with the Hue hub. Seems to be a cheaper option than the Hue accesories.

stesaurus wrote: »
    Any chance the motion sensors/dimmers are compatible with the Hue hub. Seems to be a cheaper option than the Hue accesories.
    Not yet - which is exactly why I've only swapped one IKEA bulb over to the Hue as a proof of concept. I love the dimmer switch, and want to keep using it.
    The smaller hockey puck one which just does brightness I'm less happy with, but I may have damaged it and it eats batteries much faster than it should.

The IKEA remotes are affordable, and when they're mounted on the wall beside the switch, the rest of the family use them so the lights are less likely to get powered off!

• Advertisement

So I bit the bullet and got my first smart thing in the house. I got some bulbs to go into the lamps in the sitting room and bedroom.

They give good light and I like the way you can change the colour temperature of the light. It took a couple of attempts to get all bulbs and remotes connected ( I had to use the bedroom remote to get the last bulb in the sitting room) but once it's set up it's easy to use.

I have set moods so during a movie the lights go low or if we are eating it is bright.

The downsides are that it's a bit dumb as it currently doesn't talk to anything else. (Word is that they are releasing an update sometime soon) I would like to tell Alexia to turn off the lights or set Movie night mood but it currently can't.

If you have 3 bulbs set up and in one mood it has two bulbs on and press the off button it will turn the two off but turn on the one that was off. You have to go the app to turn them off.

One of the bulbs in the bedroom I've noticed is pulsing during the night, I wonder how much power they use as the LEDs are the most efficient part of the bulb I wonder how much power it needs over a year.

afatbollix wrote: »
    ... I would like to tell Alexa to turn off the lights or set Movie night mood but it currently can't...
    If you're using the phone app I presume you've got the IKEA gateway.
    OpenHAB2 can control IKEA bulbs through that gateway, and it is supported by Alexa. It's usually installed on a raspberry pi, but you can actually stick it on any computer you might already have in the house. I use it (on a Pi) and it makes the IKEA bulbs voice controllable without having to attach them to a Hue hub.
    One of the bulbs in the bedroom I've noticed is pulsing during the night...
    Any chance the light switch in the bedroom is a dimmer type?
    Might be worth swapping it out for an ordinary switch if so.

Well installed OpenHAB but struggling getting it to talk to the gateway, Any tips or a link to how to install?

Its a on/off switch. I found an easy solution which is just turn it off on the wall.

Hi.
    Did you install the openhab2 extension for Tradfri?
    You'll need to locate the IP address and enter the code from the bottom of your Tradfri gateway in the thing configuration.
    Has the Tradfri gateway showed up in your inbox of devices?
    I'll check in with you after the weekend to see if you've any progress , but got a lot on until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Mellor wrote: »
    You can use them without the Hub/Gateway if you buy the wireless dimmer or remote.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20347830/#
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20303317/

But might as well just go for the hub
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00337813/

I think I'll invest in a set them reach australia. THe phillips ones are extortionate here

Damn, wish I knew that before... how does that work without the hub though. In the setup you have to connect the dimmer to the hub before connecting the bulbs to the dimmer. The app works through the hub too. If there's a way to get it working through the Hue gateway, I'll try and do that and sell on the IKEA hub.

I have 6 GU10s (the €15 ones) with a dimmer set up in the kitchen, and a E27 with a dimmer in another room. I'm really liking them. The dimmer is so neat, simple and effective. The biggest positive is that after turning off a light at the switch, they remember their last setting when you turn it back on! Which is great because it doesn't mean blaring harsh light when you get up in the morning, and a quick dash to dim it. It just remembers its dim and temp setting and turns on to that. It's a small thing but it makes such a difference and is turning my head to just get rid of my existing Hue bulbs and go all in with IKEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Bacchus wrote: »
    Damn, wish I knew that before... how does that work without the hub though. In the setup you have to connect the dimmer to the hub before connecting the bulbs to the dimmer. The app works through the hub too. If there's a way to get it working through the Hue gateway, I'll try and do that and sell on the IKEA hub.

I have 6 GU10s (the €15 ones) with a dimmer set up in the kitchen, and a E27 with a dimmer in another room. I'm really liking them. The dimmer is so neat, simple and effective. The biggest positive is that after turning off a light at the switch, they remember their last setting when you turn it back on! Which is great because it doesn't mean blaring harsh light when you get up in the morning, and a quick dash to dim it. It just remembers its dim and temp setting and turns on to that. It's a small thing but it makes such a difference and is turning my head to just get rid of my existing Hue bulbs and go all in with IKEA.

It baffles me that such a simple concept has eluded Philips thus far.

It further baffles me that with each revision of Hue they haven't bothered to resolve it

lawred2 wrote: »
    It baffles me that such a simple concept has eluded Philips thus far.

It further baffles me that with each revision of Hue they haven't bothered to resolve it

To be fair, I believe their logic is that it's a safety feature so that in the event of emergency services arriving at a building, they're not greeted by dimmed red lights or some other form of useless lighting.

That said, a simple solution would just be
    "ON" -> Remember last setting.
    "ON - OFF - ON" -> Reset to default.

Make that the standard and then the customer and Health and Safety people are all happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Do the IKEA switches and dimmers work with the Hue bulbs? I.e. can they control the philips bulbs or is it just the bulbs that work with the hue app?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Do the IKEA switches and dimmers work with the Hue bulbs? I.e. can they control the philips bulbs or is it just the bulbs that work with the hue app?

Haven't tried that but based off the pairing process alone between the dimmer and the IKEA bulb, it's very different to the Hue setup process so I'm not sure how one would connect them... unless the Hue app is able to manage the dimmer in which case you could associate it with the Hue bulb... still not sure if that'd work either. I hope you found this post helpful :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

To be fair, I believe their logic is that it's a safety feature so that in the event of emergency services arriving at a building, they're not greeted by dimmed red lights or some other form of useless lighting.

That said, a simple solution would just be
    "ON" -> Remember last setting.
    "ON - OFF - ON" -> Reset to default.

Make that the standard and then the customer and Health and Safety people are all happy.

Doing that also would eliminate the need for hue switches, and would make the bulbs work exactly like and ordinary bulb

• Advertisement

Doing that also would eliminate the need for hue switches, and would make the bulbs work exactly like and ordinary bulb

No it wouldn't. I don't really follow your logic here.

The switches would still allow you to set the dim level and cycle through presets. As for the switch (or app) being used to turn on/off bulbs, well you can still do that by just leaving the main switch on (as you currently do). At least you'd have the option though to turn on/off at the main switch and keep the previous setting instead of lighting up the room at full brightness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

No it wouldn't. I don't really follow your logic here.

The switches would still allow you to set the dim level and cycle through presets. As for the switch (or app) being used to turn on/off bulbs, well you can still do that by just leaving the main switch on (as you currently do). At least you'd have the option though to turn on/off at the main switch and keep the previous setting instead of lighting up the room at full brightness.

Waht you do is you get a momentary switch instead of a latched on. So one click of the switch gives a on to off to on state change.

On of on then instructs the light to go off if it's on, or go back to last state if off.

The only thing you can't do is dim, but that could be possible too

Waht you do is you get a momentary switch instead of a latched on. So one click of the switch gives a on to off to on state change.

On of on then instructs the light to go off if it's on, or go back to last state if off.

The only thing you can't do is dim, but that could be possible too

I think your missing part of what I was suggesting. I'm saying, keep it exactly the way it is, as in the Hue Switches stay working the way they do etc. BUT have the bulbs remember their last state if you turn it off at the main switch. THEN for the purposes of health and safety, implement an on-off-off trigger that would reset the bulb.

Sorry this is going off topic from IKEA bulbs but I guess it highlights a real benefit (for some people) of the IKEA system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Just got two of the €7 GU10s in dub to test for kitchen, connected to hue hub straight away :).shoulda got the 3rd one, but didn't want to get greedy on an experiment!

Delighted.

Testing motion sensor / bathroom combo now..

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Shlippery wrote: »
    Just got two of the €7 GU10s in dub to test for kitchen, connected to hue hub straight away :).shoulda got the 3rd one, but didn't want to get greedy on an experiment!

Delighted.

Let us know how the motion sensor goes please, I need to pick up a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Delighted.

No Ikea gateway for firmware upgrade?

Didn't need it for the GU10's, got the hockey puck dimmer thing too - probably should have got the remote. Not a huge fan of the magnetic switchyness to it.

Motion sensor/e27 combo are OK but wouldn't rate it as highly as the hue sensor I have in the hallway. May get one more GU10 to complete my trio, but yea, no gateway or upgrade needed. Hue found it straight away. Can see it in the hue app no problemo.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I assume the difference between the €7 and €15 GU10's is that the €7 ones are white only, while the €15 are white ambiance?

Shlippery, can you confirm it was the €7 GU10's that you bought and that you didn't need the Ikea hub for them, that they just worked with the Hue hub?

I assume the swtiches and sensors aren't working with the Hue hub?

Looks like I might pick two of these up to finally complete my setup.

bk wrote: »
    I assume the difference between the €7 and €15 GU10's is that the €7 ones are white only, while the €15 are white ambiance?

Shlippery, can you confirm it was the €7 GU10's that you bought and that you didn't need the Ikea hub for them, that they just worked with the Hue hub?

I assume the swtiches and sensors aren't working with the Hue hub?

Looks like I might pick two of these up to finally complete my setup.

Can confirm it was just the €7 ones! Didn’t care for temperatures as the kitchen is small !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Can confirm it was just the €7 ones! Didn’t care for temperatures as the kitchen is small !

Yep, I do find the white ambiance very useful for the living room and bedrooms, but no need for it in the hallway where I'm planning these to go.

Though I will say, white ambiance has turned out very useful in the bathroom, where my OH finds it very handy for putting on makeup, etc.

Advertisement