Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA new smart bulb kit

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    bk or anyone know are the gu10s any bigger in size to regular gu10s?

The Hue ones are a bit longer then regular GU10's

I'd order them from a place with easy returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

bk wrote: »
    The Hue ones are a bit longer then regular GU10's

I'd order them from a place with easy returns.

Yeah id heard that alright...So the ikea ones are alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

I have them in a regular GU10 fitting and they are fine.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have them in a regular GU10 fitting and they are fine.

Me too and their fine. But it depends on your fitting and ceiling. An open fitting and good space in the ceiling would be fine. A tight enclosed fitting (maybe waterproof ones for toilets) might be a tight fit.

I suspect most people would be fine, but just something to watch out for.

Sorry, I haven't tried them, don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

There are 2 types of GU10.

The 15 euro one is larger than the 7 euro one. The dearer one is about the same size as the older non smart GU10s I got in the past in IKEA and the cheaper one is a good bit smaller (and lighter)

I have both, they are grand. Except one of my GU10s has a mind of its own and keeps turning to pure white instead of warm white...
    The cheaper ones arent as powerful and you are limited to warm white only but they are fine.

I've three of the dearer GU10s in the kitchen where I wanted the most light and the ceiling light in the living room takes 5 so I went with the cheaper ones there.

• Advertisement

Ikea are doing online deliveries now. you can get a bunch of bulbs/remotes etc delivered for €7.50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

I got a bunch and didn't fit most of my gu-10 fittings. They are a bit big (by like a mm or 2) so i got some extenders. Fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

Ikea are doing online deliveries now. you can get a bunch of bulbs/remotes etc delivered for €7.50
    Did you get these delivered? - I tried to order some yesterday but all bulbs were removed from the basket as not suitable for delivery.
    -Coley.

If they are out of stock or stock is low they will show as not suitable for delivery. You can setup a notification for when its back in stock and order then.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I got the Tradfri lights working with the echo dot in my folks house.

Straight forward enough after i read the instructions and enabled the alexa skill in the Tradfri app.

Echo responds to the groups set-up quickly. No colour lights in the set-up so i couldn't test that.

• Advertisement

coley wrote: »
    Did you get these delivered? - I tried to order some yesterday but all bulbs were removed from the basket as not suitable for delivery.
    -Coley.
    To follow up - I was in the IKEA store and asked the assistant at the lighting section about this, seems IKEA under estimated the demand for these things and are having trouble keeping up. The shop gets stock first and then online shop. So should be available for delivery once supply catches up.

-Coley.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

coley wrote: »
    To follow up - I was in the IKEA store and asked the assistant at the lighting section about this, seems IKEA under estimated the demand for these things and are having trouble keeping up. The shop gets stock first and then online shop. So should be available for delivery once supply catches up.

-Coley.

Were they in stock today, I'd planned to swing by tomorrow morning.

You can create a shopping list on their site and when you select the Dublin store it will give you the stock level and what isle to find them on.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Were they in stock today, I'd planned to swing by tomorrow morning.
    They had the dimming GU10s but not the white spectrum ones in store.
    -Coley.

Oh yeah and what SemperFidelis said - the website gives stock levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I am thinking about buying a couple to put in places where my Hue bulbs will not be used. Outside lights etc. I believe the later bulbs will work with the Hue Bridge. Is there anything else to watch out for

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

thecivvie wrote: »
    I am thinking about buying a couple to put in places where my Hue bulbs will not be used. Outside lights etc. I believe the later bulbs will work with the Hue Bridge. Is there anything else to watch out for

If the bulbs do have the latest fireware, they still have to be reset, AFAIK this is achieve by turning them off and on 6 times.

If the bulbs do have the latest fireware, they still have to be reset, AFAIK this is achieve by turning them off and on 6 times.

I hooked mine up to the Hue bridge without resetting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭irishchris

Very annoyed at the availability online. I went to order 10 of the €7 gu10 tradfri bulbs and it doesn't allow home delivery now for these but does allow the 15€ ones to be home delivered. Is this a new restriction and has anyone managed to buy the €7 ones online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

After 3 weeks or so of use, just a few minor issues so far.

a) The standalone dimmer is total muck. We just use it to set the brightness and leave it at that and use the light switch to power on and off (just two rooms). Even if they had a small centre power button they'd be much better. But the fiddly "floating rotation" action is terrible and particularly bad with multiple bulbs, where sometimes it fails to dim, fails to brighten, or leaves some bulbs on or off.
    Don't get this thing, spend the extra money and get the remotes. Its also a horror to pair with multiple bulbs.

b) Had two instances with both of the motion sensors where they failed to time out the bulb. Its happened once per sensor. Turning the light switch on and off kicked them back into gear.

c) In the kitchen I've one of the remotes linked to a Spectrum E27 and to three of the €15 GU10s. If you cycle the warmth, one of the three GU10's always goes out of sync e.g. its pure white when the other two warm white. You need to use the app to get them back in sync. Whats odd is that all three respond to dimming still and cycle, just out of sync. So some kind of a bug there.

On the plus points - the remote controls seem really solid. I've 5 of them and all seem to work well.

^^^^ That's all very interesting. I've had 6 of the €7 Ikea GU10 bulbs hooked up Hue motion sensor. While they work well for the most part, I have notice a few odds things creep up:

1. When the motion sensor is activated, all the lights don't turn on together. The lights come on in a random order with a few milliseconds in between.

2. On several occasions, some of the lights have not come on. A lot of the time 1/2 don't come on and I have to open the app.

3. In some instances, 1/2 of the lights are dimmed to 50% when they are activated. Again, I've to open the app to fix it.

I put 6 Phillips colour bulbs in there this evening. None of these issues have occurred so far. I've to get 12 more bulbs for my house and several for my parents. I plan to stick to Phillips for now, the Ikea bulbs are a. not up to scratch b. don't work well with the Hue bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

I've jut got my IKEA Remote paired with my Philips Hue hub!
    This gets around the problem of Google Home not being able to conveniently control the Ikea bulbs.
    Alexa has supported the Tradfri devices for months, and originally I could control them via OpenHAB and export them as virtual Hue devices.
    Unfortunately the newer versions of Google Home no longer support finding a local "Hue Bridge".

We've an Echo and a GHome in the living area and it's been an obstacle to adoption that one of them couldn't control the main lights.
    Losing the Ikea remote wasn't an option as everybody uses it - it's mounted on the wall under the physical light switch and is the only reason the lights don't get switched off all the time.

I followed this video -

Basically you need to press the pairing button in the remote 4 times to reset it. The red led should flash a number of times and stop.
    Open Hue Essentials and in All lights, choose "add a light", scroll down to "Touchlink"
    Hold the remote right beside the Hue hub while holding the pairing button and press touchlink.
    The red LED should come on steady and then shortly turn off.
    What threw me here is that there is no confirmation, but the remote is now paired to the Philips zigbee network.

Bring the remote to your IKEA bulbs (or Philips bulbs, but the point here was to have the Ikea bulbs controlled by both Hue and the remote)
    Power the IKEA bulbs off completely for a minute or two, then turn them on, hold the remote beside them and press the pairing button until the bulb flashes and resumes a steady glow. I made sure each bulb was the only one powered on while I paired them to prevent any confusion.

You should now be able to see the bulbs and rename them to something sensible in the Philips Hue app.

Update your voice assistant using the following commands:
    Echo: "Alexa, discover devices"
    Google Home: "OK Google, sync my lights"

The same guy also has a video demonstrating that the hockey puck dimmer can be paired too,
    but life's too short for that.

Some more notes here https://www.redsilico.com/blog/ikea-tradri-remote-with-hue-hub
    The remote itself does not show up in the Hue app by the way, and you can't change what the buttons do.
    They work as expected with Tradfri colour temperature bulbs, but are probably limited to on/off and brightness for Philips bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭RonTon

I got 15 of the €7 ones delivered during the week (€7.50 delivery charge) .

Setup was not a big problem with the Philips hub ,some of the bulbs took a few goes to link them (switching them on/off 6 times ), all linked eventually....

What took the longest time was the actual fitting of the bulbs ,high ceilings and my fittings are a few mm too small due to a screw head slightly protruding on the side so shaved off a little of the outer rim ,few min for each bulb .
    Went to order a few more and not available for delivery so it looks like it’s hit and miss ,the €15 one are available but not sure how much better they are. Anyone got both types? Worth the higher price?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

RonTon wrote: »
    ,the €15 one are available but not sure how much better they are. Anyone got both types? Worth the higher price?

The dearer ones allow temperature change as well as dimmable, while the cheaper ones, while dimmable, are set to warm white. So it’s just a preference thing.

Cheers Tony ,might get a mix on next lot ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

While I'd love upgrade my living room to Hue, I think these bulbs are a more realistic option (£200+ if I went with Hue).

Would my best bet be to get a Hue hub (also allowing me to put Hue in the bedrooms at some point) giving me GH integration?

Would I need the IKEA hub too?

While I'd love upgrade my living room to Hue, I think these bulbs are a more realistic option (£200+ if I went with Hue).

Would my best bet be to get a Hue hub (also allowing me to put Hue in the bedrooms at some point) giving me GH integration?

Would I need the IKEA hub too?

I have the Philips hue hub and a mix of bulbs from Philips ,Innr and ikea ,all linked up with Alexa and IFTTT,it’s easy to set routines with time or location functions ,a couple of motion sensors...
    I love it ,the gf isn’t so enthusiastic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Does any one who has the ikea bulbs mixed in with hue ever notice anything off with them? We have one ikea bulb that randomly flashes when on.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Does any one who has the ikea bulbs mixed in with hue ever notice anything off with them? We have one ikea bulb that randomly flashes when on.

I've two Ikea €7 GU10's on a Hue Hub and one of the bulbs has failed to turn on via the motion sensor, half a dozen times now. I'll probably replace it with Hue bulbs eventually.

shanec1928 wrote: »

I've 6 €7 Ikea GU10's along with a few Hue bulbs. Plenty of times some of the bulbs don't come on when the motion sensor is triggered or they come on a different brightness than what is set. I'll eventually replace them with Philips.

• Advertisement

I have 9 ikea GU10s in kitchen and 3 bulbs in different locations all on the ikea hub, no hue hub. The only times they flash is when they have applied an update otherwise they work reliably. Always come on to the last set colour temperature and brightness level.

They are all relatively close to the hub, maybe that helps. I'm going to put some at the far end of the house so I'll keep an eye on those for any odd behaviour.

Advertisement