Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathgar meeting tonight about quietway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks for posting.

Is the Ashdale Gardens/Corrib Road hostility the only notable objection that has come to light so far?

I wonder how much hostility will come to light once this gets a little more media interest/coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

As far as I know it is; there may be more to be heard at the meeting. It would be worth cyclists attending and talking quietly about why it's needed, and about the effect of quietways in other countries. For me, this would extend and enhance my normal method of navigating the city, which involves finding back roads as much as possible.

It would be absolutely great for local children especially to have a safe cycling route.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Would it not be a nice route by the river? More nature to see etc, playgrounds along that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Pseudorandom

Shame the corrib/ashdale gardens portion of it doesn't look like it will go ahead, would remove a massive detour for people trying to walk into Terenure.

Would it not be a nice route by the river? More nature to see etc, playgrounds along that way.

Yeah, I'm thinking of describing my cycling route to Ringsend, which is by the river most of the way.

The only places where my route is a little too busy and brings one into traffic are Beaver Row and crossing the road in Donnybrook. There is a plan for a riverside cycle/walkway at Beaver Row, linking through to Baggotrath at Herbert Park, but this riverside path section couldn't be made as fast as the rest of the Quietway.

I think the plan for the Quietway is to have it ancillary to, and linking with, the Mountains-to-the-Sea plan all along the Dodder.

• Advertisement

Shame the corrib/ashdale gardens portion of it doesn't look like it will go ahead, would remove a massive detour for people trying to walk into Terenure.

Very true, though I can see why someone on Ashdale Gardens would be against it. They have nothing to gain really, and it would bring a lot of traffic, albeit of a quiet nature, onto what is otherwise a quiet little cul-de-sac.

If they want to go Corrib Road direction, they can go Ashfield Park/Mount Tallant, or else via the laneway just off Eaton Square.

Very true, though I can see why someone on Ashdale Gardens would be against it. They have nothing to gain really, and it would bring a lot of traffic, albeit of a quiet nature, onto what is otherwise a quiet little cul-de-sac.

If they want to go Corrib Road direction, they can go Ashfield Park/Mount Tallant, or else via the laneway just off Eaton Square.

Well, it depends who 'they' is. There are families with schoolkids living there too!

And even those who don't have schoolchildren or don't cycle might be interested in the possibility of having a shorter walking route to Supervalu.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Some people just don't like change, and some of it is obviously a bit of nimbyism.

Another thing however that came up in an area I lived in a few years ago when proposals for more pathways for locals came up was the perceived risk of increased crime and anti social behaviour. Some people see a new path in and out of an estate and immediately think, well a burglar now has easier access, this must be stopped.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Well, it depends who 'they' is. There are families with schoolkids living there too!

And even those who don't have schoolchildren or don't cycle might be interested in the possibility of having a shorter walking route to Supervalu.

I meant they = the residents of Ashdale Gardens, or the house owners. Put it this way, if I were one of them, and only considering selfish motives rather than the greater good, I would definitely be voting against the proposed route through my cul-de-sac. Nimbyism, as someone above called it.

It's understandable that people in that enclave would be nervous of burglary; there seems to be a bicycle theft gang operating in the area triangulating Kimmage, Terenure and Harold's Cross.

But actually, having cyclists coming through regularly is exactly what ambitious burglars don't want. Cyclists are "eyes on the street" - they notice people and events and changes that drivers don't; they're able to hop off and knock on a door and say "Someone dodgy-looking was peeking in your letterbox earlier" while a driver, even if he sees it, is unlikely to find parking and walk back and knock and warn. I've had a cyclist and a walker knock on my door and tell me I've left the keys in the door, never a driver…

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »
    It's understandable that people in that enclave would be nervous of burglary; there seems to be a bicycle theft gang operating in the area triangulating Kimmage, Terenure and Harold's Cross.

But actually, having cyclists coming through regularly is exactly what ambitious burglars don't want. Cyclists are "eyes on the street" - they notice people and events and changes that drivers don't; they're able to hop off and knock on a door and say "Someone dodgy-looking was peeking in your letterbox earlier" while a driver, even if he sees it, is unlikely to find parking and walk back and knock and warn. I've had a cyclist and a walker knock on my door and tell me I've left the keys in the door, never a driver…

But sadly unless its monitored, cyclist will not use it. Look at the canal, there is parts of that you wouldn't cycle during certain hours.

I think the burglary thing is a red herring. Sure there's already a lot of bike theft, and occasional swathes of burglaries in the area.

The issue that residents of Ashdale Gardens probably have is that currently they live on a quiet little cul-de-sac, where their kids are able to play safely on the street, and anyone coming onto the street generally lives there or is visiting someone there. That would change if there were bikes commuting through, it would completely change the nature of the street. Buying on a cul-de-sac is a big attraction to a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭paulpd

For me there's some obvious dangers / nuisances :

- the kids that play on the half of Ashdale Gardens near the wall would be affected.
    - People reversing out of driveways on Ashdale Gardens, especially near the wall / proposed opening)
    - Pizza delivery guys etc using it as a short cut.
    - People parking on Ashdale Gardens (which is already very tight for parking) and then walking through to their home on Corrib / Mount Tallant.

Besides, there's a least a three or four foot drop to Corrib on the other side. How do they overcome this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

There is a separate greenway already planned for the Dodder. Quietways should be thought of as methods of calming traffic on streets and neighbourhoods and helping the residents to use the streets for something more than just car parks and motorways. It is misleading for quietways to be advertised as being purely for the benefit of cyclists because the people who will benefit the most are the people who live along the quietways; their quality of life (and property values) will increase substantially as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

paulpd wrote: »
    - People reversing out of driveways on Ashdale Gardens, especially near the wall / proposed opening)

There should be a special circle of hell reserved for people who reverse out of their driveways.

buffalo wrote: »
    There should be a special circle of hell reserved for people who reverse out of their driveways.

Some people don't have a choice as they can't reverse into the spots due to traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Some people don't have a choice as they can't reverse into the spots due to traffic!

There's traffic in their driveway?

edit: I'm being facetious. If you can reverse out, you should be able to reverse in, and it's far safer and simpler for everyone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

by that token though, they're reversing *out* into the same traffic.
    granted, i know when you're reversing out you have more discretion as regards traffic, but that probably doesn't impact the areas being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I had this the other day. Indicated in plenty of time to reverse park, cockspanner behind me carried on right up to my bumper. I was going pull him out of his car and bludgeon him to death with a wheel wrench, only the Garda markings on his vehicle put me off. :pac:

Anyway, I think cul-de-sacs-are-less-burglary-prone is a thing.

Permeability and Burglary Risk: Are Cul-de-Sacs Safer?
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10940-009-9084-8
    The findings demonstrate that increased permeability is associated with elevated burglary risk, that burglary risk is lower on cul-de-sacs (particularly those that are sinuous in nature), and that the risk of burglary is higher on more major roads and those street segments that are connected to them. In the conclusion of the paper we outline an agenda for future research.

...but I don't know that it applies for cyclist/pedestrian access only.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it's a topic you find interesting, try 'the burglar's guide to the city' (written mainly from an american perspective).

iirc, there's a tradeoff between access (and thus being seen) and degrees of freedom in terms of escape, when a burglar is sizing up potential properties.

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    There's traffic in their driveway?

edit: I'm being facetious. If you can reverse out, you should be able to reverse in, and it's far safer and simpler for everyone.

You can reverse in if no traffic, if your house is on a busy road, best of luck to you. No one gives you a chance to do it and then you have the idiot you will fly up the inside of you when your in the middle of the maneuver.

No one seems to have time to allow people to be safe these days!

The last time I reversed out of my driveway was the last time for a reason. I was backing - slowly, walking pace - when a woman came racing in behind my car and I stood on the brakes quick - realising before I saw it that what she was racing for was to grab the toddler I was backing towards, a child I would have seen if I were driving forward, but couldn't see from the back window or mirrors. I was a lucky, lucky driver to have fast reactions. Got the gateway widened and backed in/drove out after that.

This article on burglars' preferred type of housing reckons cul-de-sacs are less safe:

http://www.sheknows.com/home-and-gardening/articles/1019607/the-10-most-common-types-of-homes-thieves-target
    * Low-traffic areas

Homes on the outskirts of neighborhoods are more vulnerable, because fewer neighbors will be able to see if a crime is being committed. This includes dead-end streets, cul-de-sacs and locations with few outlets. Any house that's secluded may also be a target.

Corner homes are iffy. They allow thieves to scope the area (including your habits) easily by simply driving by and naturally slowing or stopping for a turn. Depending on your neighborhood's layout, they may also be less visible to neighbors and police.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It wouldn't be burglary I'd be most concerned, it would be anti social behaviour. Possibly they'd end up with the path with anti social behaviour, and little through foot and bike traffic because of the anti social behaviour. I can completely understand objections tbh - end of a cul de sac becomes teenage drinking and smoking central instead.

btw they've started work at the Applegreen for the dodder path along the Beaver Row line.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That's utter rubbish. Reversing in is by far safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You can reverse in if no traffic, if your house is on a busy road, best of luck to you. No one gives you a chance to do it and then you have the idiot you will fly up the inside of you when your in the middle of the maneuver.

No one seems to have time to allow people to be safe these days!
    Indicator on and come to a stop before the drive, then move forward a little and then reverse.

Reversing out, is proven to be more dangerous

ted1 wrote: »
    That's utter rubbish. Reversing in is by far safer.
    i live on a busy road. maybe 1 or 2% of the time, i end up having to go nose in as reversing would end up holding up traffic (there's a bus lane outside the house) and it can be safer and quicker to go nose in in heavy traffic if you're going to be reversing out in light traffic.

btw, Chucote, if you're going to the meeting, and there are raised voices, please make sure you get a strangeloveian comment in about shouting at the quietway meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

People reversing out of driveways on Ashdale Gardens, especially near the wall / proposed opening)
    These people should only reverse out if there is someone there to help them. Otherwise it is illegal.
    - People parking on Ashdale Gardens (which is already very tight for parking) and then walking through to their home on Corrib / Mount Tallant.
    Most people are too lazy to do this.
    In a cul de sac?
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be burglary I'd be most concerned, it would be anti social behaviour. Possibly they'd end up with the path with anti social behaviour, and little through foot and bike traffic because of the anti social behaviour. I can completely understand objections tbh - end of a cul de sac becomes teenage drinking and smoking central instead.
    This is a design matter. If you have a narrow choke point, loitering happens. If it is more open, with no focal point, loitering doesn't happen. Anyway, the area is fairly established, with no hordes of teenagers.

Can't see how/why/when you would want to do this. It's only round the corner in the car. And parking on Corrib is way easier to find & free, whereas it is pay & display around Ashdale.

• Advertisement

i live on a busy road. maybe 1 or 2% of the time, i end up having to go nose in as reversing would end up holding up traffic (there's a bus lane outside the house) and it can be safer and quicker to go nose in in heavy traffic if you're going to be reversing out in light traffic.

When I drove, I used to put on the blinkers when I was about 5 metres back from my entrance, then slow and signal left, then move into position to reverse. Not everyone is too bright, and it regularly happened that the driver behind me glued his nose to the back of my car. I just waited. Lots of blaring and shouting, but eventually they person would overtake and the driver behind would leave me room to back in. I wasn't too pushed; at least I wasn't running over a toddler.
    Can't see how/why/when you would want to do this. It's only round the corner in the car. And parking on Corrib is way easier to find & free, whereas it is pay & display around Ashdale.

Why would you want to drive "around the corner in the car" when you could walk straight there?

One option for Ashdale Road would be to take down part of the wall temporarily and see how it worked in the first few months… That's what Sadik-Khan did in New York - made temporary protected bike lanes with planters full of plants, and the residents knew that they could get rid of them later if they proved worse than the cars. I don't think any ever did get rid of them, though, and gradually they became permanent lanes:

TED talk: Janette Sadik-Khan, the Transport Commissioner who transformed New York, on how she did it https://www.ted.com/talks/janette_sadik_khan_new_york_s_streets_not_so_mean_any_more?language=en#t-229446
    Article about Sadik-Khan's changes in New York http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/03/bike-wars-are-over-and-the-bikes-won.html

Advertisement