Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Churchfields, Ashbourne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Chap87

Hi @Lexoi, from my experience Nolans will happily allow cosmetic changes to the kitchen, but nothing structural. So you can change the door style/colour, the worktop, cabinet height, integrated bins etc... but they had been told by Cairn that there can't be any plumbing or electrical changes, so the sink has to stay where it is and then any appliances such as dishwasher / fridge / oven also need to stay put.
    Any changes need to 'be agreed and paid for by the time there is a roof on the house', that is the only deadline they can give you.
    We made a few small changes to the kitchen but to be honest they weren't the most helpful and they're pretty steep for some changes which could potentially be done afterwards.

For your solar panel questions, i got in touch quite a while ago with the people who are putting the solar panels up, they're called 'PV Green Energy Savings' and are based in Meath. The guy i spoke to (can't remember his name) was very helpful and he explained that at that point before they were built he wouldn't be able to say exactly how many panels would be on our house as it would depend on direction etc... I imagine when you've nearly got the roof on he might be able to give you a good explanation of the expected capacity of the system etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sagarvj

hi neighbours, we have just signed the contract for a 4 bed semi detached in the blue area. Was looking for a snag list hoping not to spend too much on it as adviced ? Any comments. I loved the location and the amenities hence zeroed in on this property. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lexoi

Chap87 wrote: »
    Hi @Lexoi, from my experience Nolans will happily allow cosmetic changes to the kitchen, but nothing structural. So you can change the door style/colour, the worktop, cabinet height, integrated bins etc... but they had been told by Cairn that there can't be any plumbing or electrical changes, so the sink has to stay where it is and then any appliances such as dishwasher / fridge / oven also need to stay put.
    Any changes need to 'be agreed and paid for by the time there is a roof on the house', that is the only deadline they can give you.
    We made a few small changes to the kitchen but to be honest they weren't the most helpful and they're pretty steep for some changes which could potentially be done afterwards.

For your solar panel questions, i got in touch quite a while ago with the people who are putting the solar panels up, they're called 'PV Green Energy Savings' and are based in Meath. The guy i spoke to (can't remember his name) was very helpful and he explained that at that point before they were built he wouldn't be able to say exactly how many panels would be on our house as it would depend on direction etc... I imagine when you've nearly got the roof on he might be able to give you a good explanation of the expected capacity of the system etc...

Hi @Chap87, Thanks for the info, too late for us to change anything in the kitchen, not that we necessarily wanted to but I was just surprised that this info was never given to us.
    In regards with the solar panels we got a good explanation for the reason why there are less on our house, but I still think if they would have added the 6 panels the house would have been more sustainable, but they are covered as it meets the energy rating due to the good position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

Btw, our hood is already live on Waze. Here's a link to the livemap and a screenshot from the editor:

9zGv80F.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17 XelmoX

Laminate and Carpet I think. We havent made any decisions yet but that is what we are leaning towards. :) and you?
    yannakis wrote: »
    @XelmoX what kind of flooring are you thinking about if I may ask?

• Advertisement

XelmoX wrote: »
    Laminate and Carpet I think. We havent made any decisions yet but that is what we are leaning towards. :) and you?
    We're thinking of laminate only, and different shades/types for different areas. Tile effect looks impressive and will feel warmer than actual tiles.

I'd love some carpet too, but my allergies are not getting on very well with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 laneral

Hi. New to boards and hi everyone. We are looking at some 2ND hand properties in Churchfields. Anyone aware of any issues with the older houses? Just concerned as 2 houses next door to each other for sale opposite the graveyard and another few on the same road look empty. Love the area but want to make sure all is OK. Thanks

We go this fuzzy scan from the selling agent a few months ago, might help with an indication about the cost:

FCPeZsl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

The launch of the second phase is this weekend, anyone going to attend? I'm purchasing in the first phase but keen to pop along to get ideas for furniture and fittings from the showhouse as I'm a total novice at this.

Checked the house before snagging with an uncle, whose a builder, and he was impressed with the build although it's not totally finished yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

There is an active facebook group for new residents: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1001232863346744/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Hi Guys,

We've been looking at a few places in Ashbourne, and now are pretty in love with Churchfields based purely on the listings and a quick drive-by window shop... and the obviously lovely neighbors ;)

We're heading for a viewing tomorrow night, very exciting. Of everyone who's been part of this discussion, have you guys moved in yet? Any tips for what we should ask or look out for?

Cheers!

Hey there, good luck with the viewing tomorrow!

A good few of us have moved in already and most of the last red-bricked houses are snagging/closing soon.

My only tip for the viewing and generally the stage you are at now, would be to keep notes for answers you're getting from the sales agents and verify the important bits with Cairn directly as well (after you put the deposit down). Just for your peace of mind :)

Thanks Yannakis. How was the timeframe for moving in?

We were told there are a few units left, but not sure which phase they belong to. Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely take my notebook with me tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

What type are you looking to buy?

Hey Cilar,

We were hoping for a C/C1, but I'm not sure if any are available, so dependent on that, we may go for a D/D1.

tusk wrote: »
    How was the timeframe for moving in?

It mainly depends on the stage of the build at the time you sign contracts, and your bank/solicitor paperwork. Whichever takes the longest basically.

For example, our ground floor walls were going up when we signed in April, and we closed beginning of September.

Ok wow, that seems pretty quick :)

The excitement is heavy at the moment, hoping we like them now tonight!

So we had the viewing last night. Fell deeper in love :)

Not many left available at the moment, but we're thinking of putting a booking deposit down today for one in this area.

It was pretty dark when we were there last night, so we couldn't really see that far into the site, but looks like these are either not started, or likely only recently started. Apparently they should be ready in the summer... So long away :(

Exciting times ahead!!

You can check on the progress from the GAA side. I was around for a walk I think last week, and they are currently preparing the soil for the foundation for "rows" 4-5 (for reference, you circled 5-6 in your screenshot).

Just put our booking deposit down. So happy.

We'll definitely take a look from the GAA side at the weekend, thanks for the tip. We drove around there last night, but again, it was so dark so nothing really to see.

In terms of surveyors and legal, how did you guys find the fees? Time to get down to some serious planning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Cronicnegg

I’m hoping someone can clarify where this development gets its water from? I understand it’s not connected to the main Ashbourne water supply. I’m thinking of buying here. There is a (private) management company in place. I am ok with the quoted annual fee as of today but I fear this private company could increase this in years to come. Would be interested to hear from any residents on this. Is there a residents committee in the development?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 t874040nib

Hi,

Looking at Churchfields too. Is there any scope for negotiating price, (I know with a new build it's a harder task) has anyone been successful?

Also can anyone tell me, what is the traffic like in the morning time?

Thanks

Hi Cronicnegg

I believe once the development has been completed by Cairn it will then be handed over to the residents in the usual management company style.
    The builder is running the management company of the estate but has a management agent to do handle things for them as far as i'm aware (Newish resident).

Hi t874040nib

I'd say good luck with the negotiation, there's always scope but the selling agents tend to be full of the proverbial rubbish. E.g. They say no changes can be made to anything but in reality that's rubbish.
    Demand and availability has tended to find the majority snapped up quite quickly to the point of waiting lists which may not give much wiggle room for negotiation. You could be lucky though if there's a few that they can't shift for any reason. Properties have varied based on garden sizes and location across the whole estate as far as i'm aware. If you want to negotiate i'd probably recommend a private viewing with an Agent and not on a busy open viewing day.

In relation to the traffic in the morning it depends on what you're classing as morning. I've been a resident for a couple of months now and find leaving anywhere between 7-8 for getting into Dublin is no problem at all. Can't speak for later in the day. Around that time I haven't found any delays getting out of Ashbourne. If heading south on the N2 the only time you'll get stuck is Glasnevin. Commute into the Dublin Docklands/Grand Canal is anywhere between 30 minutes on a very good day (schools off etc..), to 45-60 minutes on an average day and 90 minutes on a rare atrocious day (normally an accident somewhere).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi all,

Phase 2 is launching this weekend - myself and my partner, with out 10 year old are interested. This forum has been painting a mostly positive light on life in Churfchfields!

What have been peoples biggest positives and negatives so far?

What came with the price - floors, was there flexibility for your own kitchen, is the attic convertible on the three beds, etc.

Price has gone up, of course.....3 bed semi now 350, 4 bed 375.

Any input greatly appreciated!

Hi Chases0102
    I bought around March last year in Phase 1 and moved in late 2017. Overall it's been positive with only a few minor 'i wish i'd known that' or 'i should have thought about that earlier'. None of which would have stopped me buying here in the slightest. 
    First thing, take most things the estate agents say with a pinch of salt. When we first went it was no changes to anything, it comes 'as is', with standard paint on the walls, no floors and the same kitchen that you will see in the show house. 
    You can make changes when you go direct to the builder or the supplier. For example, Nolans supply the kitchen and that is your only option, you can happily make changes to the likes of the doors and the counter top etc... but shape and plumbing you won't really be able to change. They're quite expensive
    Similarly you can get additions or slight changes via the electrician going direct via Cairn. Or at least you could on phase 1. 
    For what comes with the price, you get standard white goods, fridge, freezer, dishwasher and microwave, all the kitchen, but you don't get any flooring. The only floors you get are in the bathrooms which all come tiled. Master bath and en suite are tiled floor to ceiling, downstairs wc is tiled to the floor only. 
    I'm not sure of the status of the attic conversions anymore, i know in Phase 1, Type C and D could be converted but some of the 3 bed terrace houses couldn't. They'd be able to tell you at the open house. 
    Positives 
    Houses are built and finished really well, they're nice and mostly soundproof when in a semi. 
    The spec is very high and just really well laid out compared to some. 
    The builders will go out of their way after you move in to help out with little things that may have not been picked up on the snag. They're very sound and quick to get things fixed. 
    Everyone in the estate is nice and friendly, everyone seems willing to help out and give advice. 
    It's a pretty quiet estate too, not too much traffic or anything for now. 
    The proximity to the village is great and it's an easy estate to get out of in the morning if commuting to Dublin. It takes us around 15/20 to finglas then another 20/30 minutes from there into the centre of Dublin depending on traffic. 
    Negatives
    Cairn can and will change things without telling you, e.g. the hallway radiator is in a different place in the actual house, they changed brick colours without notification, the windows open differently. But they are entitled to do this as per the contract as long as it isn't changing the general specification of the house and this isn't limited to Cairn, i think it's across the board. This is really the only downside i've had!

Hope it helps

Chap87, that is a wonderful response - more than I could have hoped for!

Great food for thought there, thanks so much. Will be thinking long and hard over the next couple of days!!!!

I see the GAA pitch is right next to the second phase of development - I wonder what impact this could have on the houses? Noise, parking, etc.

chases0102 wrote: »
    I see the GAA pitch is right next to the second phase of development - I wonder what impact this could have on the houses? Noise, parking, etc.

Wouldn't be of much help on the noise bit as our place is not so close, but parking shouldn't be an issue. There is no direct access from the estate to the GAA pitch as Google Maps might let you believe. This is the only access route for both cars and pedestrians:

3cIEYgmm.png

• Advertisement

yannakis wrote: »
    ...There is no direct access from the estate to the GAA pitch...

For now. There is a proposed gate in the latest plans. Though there's no info on whether it will be open, or who will manage it.

https://screencast.com/t/NN7vMpkFTRec

Advertisement