Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this homework normal for 1st class

Options
  • 28-03-2017 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

Wondering if this would be appropriate maths homework for a six year old in first class. I find that a lot of the homework kids come home with could not be done without the help of a parent https://imgur.com/a/9460s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

My daughter is in second class and they only started "carrying over" this year.. Wouldn't have had the bottom format of addition last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Harika

tupenny wrote: »
    My daughter is in second class and they only started "carrying over" this year.. Wouldn't have had the bottom format of addition last year

You don't need carry over here. You pick the bigger number and point your finger at the top where 1 to 20 are listed, then you add the lower number and get the result. All results stay below 20 so I assume this is how it is intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭patricia88

Yeah that's perfectly normal and all children in 1st class would be well able for that at this stage of the year.
    It is only addition within 20. All of the sums on that page can be completed with the number line on the top of the page.
    Children should be adding with renaming in 1st class but this is not required on this page if you look at the sum as a whole.

Ah ok but point still stands about the format; Mine wouldn't have seen it til this year

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭patricia88

Ah ok but point still stands about the format; Mine wouldn't have seen it til this year
    It is on the curriculum for 1st class so I imagine they had seen it.

• Advertisement

Well not for homework then!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

Wondering if this would be appropriate maths homework for a six year old in first class. I find that a lot of the homework kids come home with could not be done without the help of a parent https://imgur.com/a/9460s

Could the problem be that you have a six year old in first class?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

a six year old in first class

that could be the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

patricia88 wrote: »
    Yeah that's perfectly normal and all children in 1st class would be well able for that at this stage of the year.
    It is only addition within 20. All of the sums on that page can be completed with the number line on the top of the page.
    Children should be adding with renaming in 1st class but this is not required on this page if you look at the sum as a whole.

I would disagree with this. Not all children would be well able for this. Also my daughter is in second class and this would be the level of homework they get.
    Could the problem be that you have a six year old in first class?
    judeboy101 wrote: »

When is this child 7? 6 going on 7 in first class would be at the younger end of the spectrum. Most would be 7 going on 8 (some even 8 going on 9 -I see a lot of eastern european children starting later in school because of language problems and because they would start later back 'home').

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ItsShane

If I recall correctly, we started multiplication in 2nd class.
    Assuming this is following the same format, it would seem about right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

judeboy101 wrote: »

Going to be 7 in June, the youngest in the class I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

My son is in 1st class and in the last week he has had 3 numbers to add up. He was carrying over when doing this. Doesn't seem to be a problem for him. He's 7 since November.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The homework is not set based on the age of your child. The homework (and classwork) is set based on what is on the syllabus for first class.

Not the teacher's fault that the child is still 6 and possibly struggling to keep up. It is fairly simple maths at the same time, and a number line is provided to aid the child in counting and addition. I don't see the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Going to be 7 in June, the youngest in the class I think.

Youngest in my school year had a birthday in July.

It's on the syllabus for first class, your child should be able to do it. If it's a consistent issue that your child cannot do the homework maybe you need to consider that you sent your child to school too early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

It's on the syllabus for first class, your child should be able to do it. If it's a consistent issue that your child cannot do the homework maybe you need to consider that you sent your child to school too early.

Jeez back up the truck people, the kid is finding it a bit tricky... so what, all children in the one class aren't robots. Some kids take a bit longer than others.
    No point in berating a parent about making the 'wrong choice'. The kid will survive. Things are changing now alright with the whole 'not till their 5' thinking... funnily enough I heard David Coleman and the other fella a few years back saying it depends on the child... now they're saying anything less than 5 is too young. My kid was 4 and they're doing fine and one of their friends was 5 and 1/2 and still a bit behind on reading.
    I've read on numerous other threads about folk who were told they didn't have the aptitude at things by teachers but wound up studying it in college and learned to enjoy it.

Don't get flustered OP, and dont let your child see you go on a crusade and talk down the teacher. Just have a quiet word with the teacher about your concerns.

With the homework...go back to the number line or use fingers... whatever works. Maybe a piggyback to save up for the cinema (a few extra cent every day). I find Friends who say they are useless at maths begin to get pretty sharp when they play cards for money.
    I still remember the few tricky sums I had to rote learn. 7 times tables always got me.. 12 and 12 are 24... kick the teacher out the door :). That was my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Jeez back up the truck people, the kid is finding it a bit tricky... so what, all children in the one class aren't robots. Some kids take a bit longer than others.

True, but the OP's initial reaction is 'the homework is too hard for my 6 year old in first class' which is putting the blame/shifting the responsibility to the school/teacher/syllabus/education system automatically rather than considering
    that the child is too young to be able to keep up with first class maths/ homework for a child that age needs to be supervised or checked by a parent and help should be provided when necessary/ if the child has difficulties it may be due to being too young starting school or if the child genuinely has difficulties with the material then the parent should have a chat with the teacher.
    Surely parents need to take responsibility for acknowledging their child's abilities and seeing where their strengths and weaknesses are and giving/getting them help if necessary, rather than just saying 'my child can't do the homework, therefore the homework is too hard'?

True, but the OP's initial reaction is 'the homework is too hard for my 6 year old in first class' which is putting the blame/shifting the responsibility to the school/teacher/syllabus/education system automatically rather than considering
    that the child is too young to be able to keep up with first class maths/ homework for a child that age needs to be supervised or checked by a parent and help should be provided when necessary/ if the child has difficulties it may be due to being too young starting school or if the child genuinely has difficulties with the material then the parent should have a chat with the teacher.
    Surely parents need to take responsibility for acknowledging their child's abilities and seeing where their strengths and weaknesses are and giving/getting them help if necessary, rather than just saying 'my child can't do the homework, therefore the homework is too hard'?

Thank you for putting those words in my mouth, which I never said. Now going back to my question, my opinion is that a lot of the homework that is coming home cannot be done without the help of a parent?

If you want to turn it into a pissing contest my birthday was in September and I had to wait until I turned 4 before I could start school.

Now going to back to my original question, are you of the opinion that kids should be able to do all their homework without the help of a parent or that a lot of the homework kids are coming home with doesn't or shouldn't need the help of a parent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Thank you for putting those words in my mouth, which I never said. Now going back to my question, my opinion is that a lot of the homework that is coming home cannot be done without the help of a parent?

From having taught 1st class before, I would say this would be about right. I think working more independently should happen in the middle of the school and upwards. My parents always sat with us doing our homework when we were younger. Maybe if you think your child is having difficulty with the work, speak to the teacher to see how they're progressing in the classroom. Your child will be tested in a standardised way for the first time in first class so that might throw up any issues there might be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

These sums are a bit too tricky for a 6 year old. How was your child with the homework in senior infants?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 AntoLeary

I currently teach 1st/2nd mixed, and although that is age appropriate work, (1st class should be able to count to 20 according to the curriculum documents) it is a bit tough for homework admitidely.

Also, throughout the year I would have given number facts for homework. Does the teacher give these? If not, maybe start with the basics at home and use concrete materials to help.

From having taught 1st class before, I would say this would be about right. I think working more independently should happen in the middle of the school and upwards. My parents always sat with us doing our homework when we were younger. Maybe if you think your child is having difficulty with the work, speak to the teacher to see how they're progressing in the classroom. Your child will be tested in a standardised way for the first time in first class so that might throw up any issues there might be.

Thanks for your input. My question really comes down to whether parents are expected to do homework with the kids in first class. If that's the case then we're happy to do that.

infogiver wrote: »
    These sums are a bit too tricky for a 6 year old. How was your child with the homework in senior infants?

Our kids are in a school where the first two years were more focused around play with homework only once per week.

Thanks for your input. My question really comes down to whether parents are expected to do homework with the kids in first class. If that's the case then we're happy to do that.

I think you should. Your child will progress better with your help. In first class, the work gets much trickier and they have the extra hour in school to contend with. Help your child with the number facts addition and subtraction, start with +0 (tell him zero is lazy and doesn't do anything) and then move onto +1, e.g., 1+2, 1+4, 1+7etc. Use pasta shells or anything concrete in the house to help. Your child should know these by rote after.

I just googled 1st class maths there and there are lots of resources and games online to help. One was IXL maths which you could use at home. All of this will help with his maths skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Why not keep children in school fir an extra hour each day and GET RID OF HOMEWORK. Hate home work.

Also, just looked at the NCCA (national council for curriculum and assessment) and there is a video modelling how a parent could help a child with 1st class maths. Be worth a look. Sorry I can't link on this phone.

Why not keep children in school fir an extra hour each day and GET RID OF HOMEWORK. Hate home work.

Lol, the clue is in the name :D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Our kids are in a school where the first two years were more focused around play with homework only once per week.

My neighbors little girl is in senior infants. She has some 3 letter words to write repeatedly and some simple arithmetic every evening. She is 6 since January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I completely and utterly disagree with Romantic Rose.

Homework should be chosen with the intention that the child is able to complete it independently. If the teacher sets homework that is too difficult, then they should be contacted, and hopefully the work will be adjusted, or the problems addressed in class.

My children are 9 and 11.
    I have never sat down with them to do the homework.

I am hovering nearby, in case I see them struggling, or they ask for help.
    If they do, I guide them in the right direction, then off I go do something else. A quick check on what they know, a quick quiz on tables or spellings is ok, but actually having to train myself into a method, and re-teaching my child at home is 100% not on.

I know of many parents who practically do the homework for their child every evening. Imo it is utterly counterproductive.

Every child should learn to work independently, and to make mistakes.

When a parent sits down with the child, they teach them that
    a) they are not deemed capable of working by themselves
    b) they are not expected to solve problems/work on a problem by themselves.
    c) Mistakes have to be avoided at all costs to keep the teacher happy.

When they reach secondary school, these kids avoid situations where they have to work on their own, and are likely to make mistakes.
    They are lost when an exercise is challenging and they are expected to work independently. They simply don't know how to even attempt an answer.
    They are not as adept at coping with these situations; it affects their self-confidence to the point where they would rather get in trouble for not doing the homework, or not completing a test or an exercise, rather than get it wrong.

OP, my advice would very simply be to contact the teacher, have a chat about what his/her expectations seem to be for your child, and let him or her know that from what you see at home, the child may not be as ready to tackle this on their own as the teacher thinks.

I have done so on several occasions, not being a nuisance either, but just to let the teacher know that we'd hit a bit of turbulence, without my child getting in trouble for it.
    Teachers just need the feedback so they can adjust the work, or target classroom work to deal with issues, that's all.

If a teacher does not take the feedback on board, and adjust their teaching accordingly, then I'd start getting more reactive (not to say angry) about it.

Advertisement